Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 6, '08, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman-rite Catholic
Default Patron saints of depression, hopelessness, sadness, sorrow...

Know any good ones?
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Old Nov 6, '08, 6:41 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Patron saints of depression, hopelessness, sadness, sorrow...

St. Dymphna.
Old Nov 6, '08, 8:04 pm

St. Raphael the Archangel and St. Amabilis are both patrons of people suffering from mental illness so by extention that would cover depression, too.
Old Nov 6, '08, 8:12 pm

Religion: Catholic

Saint Jude
St. Jude Thaddaeus
Feastday: October 28
Patron of Desperate Cases

St. Jude Thaddaeus
St. Jude Thaddaeus

St. Jude, known as Thaddaeus, was a brother of St. James the Less, and a relative of Our Saviour. St. Jude was one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus.

Ancient writers tell us that he preached the Gospel in Judea, Samaria, Idumaea, Syria, Mesopotamia, and Lybia. According to Eusebius, he returned to Jerusalem in the year 62, and assisted at the election of his brother, St. Simeon, as Bishop of Jerusalem.

He is an author of an epistle (letter) to the Churches of the East, particularly the Jewish converts, directed against the heresies of the Simonians, Nicolaites, and Gnostics. This Apostle is said to have suffered martyrdom in Armenia, which was then subject to Persia. The final conversion of the Armenian nation to Christianity did not take place until the third century of our era.

Jude was the one who asked Jesus at the Last Supper why He would not manifest Himself to the whole world after His resurrection. Little else is known of his life. Legend claims that he visited Beirut and Edessa; possibly martyred with St. Simon in Persia.

Jude is invoked in desperate situations because his New Testament letter stresses that the faithful should persevere in the environment of harsh, difficult circumstances, just as their forefathers had done before them. Therefore, he is the patron saint of desperate cases and his feast day is October 28. Saint Jude is not the same person as Judas Iscariot who betrayed Our Lord and despaired because of his great sin and lack of trust in God's mercy.

We should be invoking St. Jude with the resolve of our nations presidential choice.
Old Nov 6, '08, 8:13 pm
Moderated Member

Here is a list of all the Saints against Mental Illness: http://saints.sqpn.com/patrons-against-mental-illness/

I would assume praying to the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph would be good ones as well since they probably dealt with the ultimate mental anguish: seeing their Son (adoptive in St. Joseph's case) suffer humiliation and horrendous death.

"Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death."
Old Nov 6, '08, 8:21 pm
Prayer Warrior

Not mental illness depression, I mean more along the lines of prolonged sadness.
" ... the systematic exclusion of Latin is an abuse no less to be condemned than the systematic desire of some people to use it exclusively. Its sudden and total disappearance will not be without serious pastoral consequences..." Ratio fundamentatlis, 1980
Old Nov 7, '08, 3:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphelDuath View Post
Not mental illness depression, I mean more along the lines of prolonged sadness.
What you're describing sounds like dysthymia, or dysthymic disorder. It's the psychological equivelant of a low-grade fever -- doctors don't always recognize that you DO have a fever; you know something's wrong, but you're so used to feeling that way you can't put your finger on it.

It IS considered to be a psychological disorder, treatable with medication and counselling. Any of the patron saints of mental illness would be suitable. My own dysthymia is co-morbid with my ADHD, i.e., whatever is causing my ADHD is also causing my dysthymia.

<><
Old Nov 7, '08, 2:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

If someone lost both of his parents the same day, and was incredibly sorrowful for a month -- that wouldn't be a mental illness, would it? That would just be "depression".

Eh, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
Old Nov 7, '08, 10:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Know any good ones?
## Our Lady of Sorrows ?

Another angle, perhaps: St. Philip Neri is particularly well-known for the gift of Joy.
Old Nov 7, '08, 11:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
If someone lost both of his parents the same day, and was incredibly sorrowful for a month -- that wouldn't be a mental illness, would it? That would just be "depression".

St. Elizabeth Seaton is the patron saint for lost parents.
Old Nov 7, '08, 11:46 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: ABC

Quote:

It always is best, wise and prudent to allow one's doctor to make any sort of diagnosis. Passing depression at times of great loss/grief is not unusual but again, but best to talk things over with one's doctor as depression needing medical treatment is not at all selective............Blessings and regards.........Barb
Old Nov 8, '08, 8:26 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsper7 View Post
Here is a list of all the Saints against Mental Illness: http://saints.sqpn.com/patrons-against-mental-illness/

I would assume praying to the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph would be good ones as well since they probably dealt with the ultimate mental anguish: seeing their Son (adoptive in St. Joseph's case) suffer humiliation and horrendous death.

Isn't it generally accepted that St. Joseph had died before the beginning of Jesus's public ministry, let alone His Passion and death? This is a minor point.... I don't mean to split hairs... I think your point is still well taken, and makes me think of the Seven Sorrows and Joys of St. Joseph. Since St. Joseph is the patron of the Universal Church, he must suffer also over the persecution of the Church.
Old Nov 8, '08, 11:38 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

The Russian Orthodox Bishop St. Tikhon of Zadonsk suffered from what was then called "involutional melancholia" (clinical depression)--and yet was a great saint, spiritual guide and writer, and wonderworker.
Old Nov 8, '08, 11:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

**If someone lost both of his parents the same day, and was incredibly sorrowful for a month -- that wouldn't be a mental illness, would it? That would just be "depression".

Eh, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.**

Depression following bereavement is part of the grieving process.

The closer the departed was to you, the longer you will grieve.

It takes a year or more to get over the loss of a parent, and if you lost both at the same time, that would doubtless make the period of depression longer. (I have lost both my parents, so I know what I'm talking about here.)

Clinical depression is depression with no discernable cause.

This can only be diagnosed by a professional, but it is NOT a character flaw. It's a PHYSICAL DISEASE! It's a chemical imbalance, and the right meds can help fix it.

In the mean time, be easy on yourself.
Old Nov 9, '08, 6:27 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic

The grief would last a long time. But if it's interferring with you daily life, talk to a doctor. I have dysthymia, which wasn't diagnosed for a really long time. There are test that help diagnose it. At least, I've done it a couple of times. And the doctor can't make the diagnosis on the first visit.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality