Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 7, '08, 8:48 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Madaglan
Default Does United Way Support Planned Parenthood?

I just recently started working (part time) for a company that is a big supporter of United Way. I didn't really know much about United Way going into the job. Recently, a number of us were given a presentation of how United Way supports children and adults with cerebral palsy and many other debilitating conditions. I have considered giving a small amount in donation, but I'm wary of big charitable organizations, and I've heard that United Way supports Planned Parenthood, which I do not support.

Is it true that United Way supports Planned Parenthood?
Do you think I should donate?
Old Nov 7, '08, 9:01 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Does United Way Support Planned Parenthood?

I don't know if ALL local United Way groups support Planned Parenthood, but at least some do including the one in my area. You can check on their web site or call your local agency to ask.

You may be informed as I was that you can designate where you want your United Way funds to go. I still refused. If I want to donate to a particular charity I donate directly and there's no overhead for United Way.
Old Nov 7, '08, 10:21 am

Planned Parenthood is one of the agencies under the umbrella of United Way. So are Catholic Charities and many other organizations that provide services to various segments of the population. Any donation you make individually or through a corporate giving program can be designated specifically for any of the individual United Way agencies.
Old Nov 7, '08, 10:26 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleFreckled View Post
Planned Parenthood is one of the agencies under the umbrella of United Way. So are Catholic Charities and many other organizations that provide services to various segments of the population. Any donation you make individually or through a corporate giving program can be designated specifically for any of the individual United Way agencies.
That is a misnomer. If you designate to a specific charity, that just means less of the un-designated funds will go to that charity. In addition, they will take some off the top for overhead meaning less goes to the charity. Give direct.

I get the forms every years and I throw them into the shredder bin.
Old Nov 7, '08, 10:55 am

Send a message via MSN to Dirk Skene

In my area (Memphis) United Way has stopped supporting Planned Parenthood. However they have added Girls Inc. So I still do not give to United Way.
Old Nov 7, '08, 12:13 pm
Veteran Member

I work for a Catholic hospital. Its a huge supporter of United Way. I can't stand it... I always return my pledge card with a huge $0 and my sig.
Christopher
Old Nov 7, '08, 1:25 pm

Send a message via MSN to Appleby

Our local United Way supports Planned Parenthood. I gave to the local drop-in teen shelter which provides for young mothers with babies and pregnant girls.
Old Nov 7, '08, 2:09 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

It is better to give your money directly. There is not enough controls on United Way IMHO.....there was a scandal in this area where UW monies were being spent on UW staff for limos and dinners.......that was cleaned up, but I still don't want to pay and administrative fee to UW for them to give my charity money.....best to give it directly. And if they won't take it directly, then I'll find someone who will. It's a way to be a better steward of money we have to give to charity.
Pray without ceasing. In all things give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you all. 1 Thess 5:16-18

Tiber Swim Team 2009! (H.L.S.)
Old Nov 7, '08, 5:31 pm
Banned
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.

My company is a big supporter of UW I don’t give to them either, some years ago their CEO was making somewhere over $300.000 dollars a year and they support pro-death charties.

I only give to Catholic charties. I do support the Radio Club here and Priests For Life.
Old Oct 10, '11, 12:47 pm
Inactive Member

I wish I found this forum discussion sooner. I have been given money to United Way through our organization for several years. Even though I give it to a specific Catholic agency. And I also found out this Agency can only receive 80% of the donation. From now on, no more. Thanks
Old Oct 10, '11, 6:45 pm
Forum Elder

It is my understanding that each charity is given an agreed on percentage of the total collected. If you designate a particular charity, it receives your donation. However, its share of undesignated donations is reduced by that amount. Better to give directly to the charity of your choice.
Old Oct 10, '11, 10:10 pm

I used to work for a large corporation that supported Untied Way. As this was quite a while back, we could only donate funds to the organization as a whole, so I never donated. Once the "computer age" grabbed a hold of everything, we could appropriate our donations to specific organizations, so I began to do that...

HOWEVER, when I visited the local charities after they sent me thank you letters, I realized that they would be better served if I gave them my donation (what little it was) directly. It's still tax deductible if that's a concern. Additionally, visiting the charity of your choice might get you to actually volunteer your time or your talents if you don't have the cash flow to donate
Philippians 4:13
Old Oct 12, '11, 5:56 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

every local chapter lists the organizations they fund, it should be in the literature they give at "sign up" time with your employer, or on their web site. United Way is a loose federation of local charitable "community chest" type agencies who have banded to gether under that umbrella for fundraising purposes.
Old Oct 19, '11, 6:53 pm

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

Glad to see Planned Parenthood is no were to be found under the health charities of my local United Way chapter. I to donate via work and designate Catholic Charities & Hospice of Central Iowa to get my donation.
Old Oct 19, '11, 9:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by garn9173 View Post
Glad to see Planned Parenthood is no were to be found under the health charities of my local United Way chapter. I to donate via work and designate Catholic Charities & Hospice of Central Iowa to get my donation.
I investigated my local United Way chapter as well. Planned Parenthood was not listed, but I investigated further. I found many donations to local charities that refer women to family planning services that include abortion. It is a tangled web. I would stay away from donating to the United way. I think (but I am not sure) that United way of Central Iowa (in your area) still supports home visiting and case management services to pregnant teens in the public school system through Visiting Nurse Services of Iowa. Venus Family Planning Services offers:
http://www.vnsdm.org/services-women-...amilies.php#18

Quote:
•FREE long-term, reversible birth control*
•All other forms of birth control
•Family planning education and counseling
Including abortion consuling including this statement:
Considering Abortion
Every woman has different circumstances which contribute to her decision about an unintended pregnancy. The choice to terminate a pregnancy is a personal, private one. Abortion is a common experience. Women experience a range of emotions, which is normal. Woman have abortions for a variety of reasons; including because the care.

No one can prevent you from having an abortion, and no one can require you to have an abortion. It is your decision and needs to be made with the personal circumstances of your life taken into consideration. Get all your questions answered. Don't hesitate in asking as many questions as you need to ask.
So finding no results for Planned Parenthood on the local United Way website doesn't always tell the whole story. It is better to give to individual charities without the middle man.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence