Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 23, '09, 11:00 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Tridentine
Default Re: iPhone Applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbles View Post
hi

There are a few bibles on the application store but i can neer figure out which bible to use - any help?

Im a candidate and in scotland!

Two big whoots for apple on being multi-faith orietated
Grubbles, I would suggest the NAB Catholic Edition as it is the bible used in the Catholic Mass. To get it, download the free biblereader app here:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...287455446&mt=8

Once you have that app and have a wifi or 3G connection, go to the "catalog" in the app and purchase the NAB for Catholics. Its about 24 US dollars but it has footnotes and a great searching ability and includes the Deutero canon (7 OT books).

Another good one is the Douay-Rheims version:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...297378018&mt=8

Be sure to get that one rather than the $5.99 counterpart.

In other news. I've been back from the desert for a few weeks and want to officially say that Universalis is well worth the money. Having the liturgy of the hours with me out there was a blessing. I cannot recommend it enough.
Old Apr 22, '09, 3:12 am

Religion: Catholic

I've just recently started programming iPhone Applications and have a few ideas for some good Catholic iPhone Apps. If there are any developers out there who are interested in working with me on some of these, I could use the help. =]

Also, if you have any ideas for Catholic iPhone Apps you wish were in existence, I'd love to hear them and try to implement them.
Old Jun 10, '09, 7:40 pm
Trial Membership

iMissal is a great little app for a mere $4.99. I use it all the time and have found it more helpful than Unversalis. It has all the readings plus the order of Mass and a sampling of Catholic prayers. I used it the other day to help our Sacristan find the reading for the Solemnity since it was not listed in the Lectionary under ordinary time. It could have been an interesting Mass if I hadn't of been standing there with my iPhone. (I couldn't resit saying "there's an app for that!" but they all expect that from the youth minister )

iRosary is a very beautiful app, however I don't believe the older ladies at church believe I am praying if my phone is out so it is really more fun for my kids to play with.

~bobbi
Old Jun 12, '09, 1:58 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80881 View Post
iMissal is a great little app for a mere $4.99. I use it all the time and have found it more helpful than Unversalis. It has all the readings plus the order of Mass and a sampling of Catholic prayers. I used it the other day to help our Sacristan find the reading for the Solemnity since it was not listed in the Lectionary under ordinary time. It could have been an interesting Mass if I hadn't of been standing there with my iPhone. (I couldn't resit saying "there's an app for that!" but they all expect that from the youth minister )

iRosary is a very beautiful app, however I don't believe the older ladies at church believe I am praying if my phone is out so it is really more fun for my kids to play with.

~bobbi
Bobbi,
I too have felt some stares while kneeling in the pew with my phone in front of me! But its always a good back up if I forget my rosary in the car!
God Bless
Old Jun 24, '09, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James924 View Post

In other news. I've been back from the desert for a few weeks and want to officially say that Universalis is well worth the money. Having the liturgy of the hours with me out there was a blessing. I cannot recommend it enough.
I'll echo that. The Universalis app is great. I've been using their web page occasionally, but the application is better. The cost is a little high, but that's the same as what you'd pay for the one-volume Christian Prayer and you get the full Office of Readings and a nice reflection on the day and info about the Saints and the Mass readings. The translation is the Jerusalem Bible, however, so that might be a problem if you're praying in a group that's using a different translation.

Not really a Catholic App, but I downloaded ooTunes so I can listen to Catholic Radio when I'm out of town.

I also feel a little weird using my iPhone in Church when praying the offices, or reading the Bible, or the writings of the Saints. I'd never use it at Mass, but to sit in the Chapel on my own is OK, I guess. It just feels a little strange.
Old Jun 28, '09, 11:44 pm
Radio Club Member

From Paul Camerata of the Saint Cast, "There's an app for that".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Kft...layer_embedded

data, n., plural of anecdote (q.v.)

Old Jun 30, '09, 8:03 pm

Smile Re: iPhone Applications

ohhhhhhhhh

awwwweeeeeeeeeeeeee

I want all of these asap when my iPhone arrives!

and to think I was lamenting the Palm Pre

keep the apps suggestions comming folks!

I eagerly await downloading!
Old Jun 30, '09, 9:27 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
From Paul Camerata of the Saint Cast, "There's an app for that".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Kft...layer_embedded
That is great!!!!! And my son said I was the only one who put "all the Catholic stuff" on my iphone.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Blessed Pope John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Jul 8, '09, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFischer View Post
I'll echo that. The Universalis app is great.
can someone tell me what the universalis does that th iMissel doesn't?

I'm not fond of the new jerusalum bible version, but if I'm missing something major, I'd be interested to know it.

i have imissle, ibreviary, irosray and ipieta already

anyone have any other cool options?

I like the irosray, but I wish it pulled up the act of faith, hope, and charity. we say the act of those, then the hail mary for those 3 beads, but I know that's not the norm.
Old Jul 8, '09, 9:39 am

hey might be TMI but I found an NFP app! it's called Sympto! don't know how accurate it is or whatever, but it sure looks like a great program!
Old Jul 16, '09, 10:23 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob's Wife View Post
can someone tell me what the universalis does that th iMissel doesn't?

I'm not fond of the new jerusalum bible version, but if I'm missing something major, I'd be interested to know it.

i have imissle, ibreviary, irosray and ipieta already

anyone have any other cool options?

I like the irosray, but I wish it pulled up the act of faith, hope, and charity. we say the act of those, then the hail mary for those 3 beads, but I know that's not the norm.
Martha,

The Universalis app is actually for the liturgy of the hours (aka Divine Office). Although it includes the mass readings, its main purpose is to provide a liturgical calendar of prayers and saint's days. Example: you wake up in the morning, take a knee and open your Universalis app. You pray the introductory prayer/ morning prayer. Then at noon you pray the noon prayer, etc. The liturgy of the hours prayers seem to be mainly from the psalms. This is an ancient tradition. Its a normal aspect of daily life for clergy and religious, but its recommended by the church for all of us lay people too! On saint days the app has an explaination of the saint as well. And, of course, the calendar is nice.

If you're interested in these things, you might consider Universalis. But its pricey! There are other apps that feature the liturgy office such as "iBreviary" and "DivineOffice" and are cheaper. The big difference is that with Universalis you get it all on your phone. No downloading each day's liturgy. Its all there (thats why its expensive) whereas with the other apps you have to worry about having a good connection and downloading the day's liturgy every day. You can go into the calendar, which is better than iMissal's calendar, and see what the mass readings and feast days will be for any day of the year, next week or last week, doesn't matter, because its all there.

The other difference is, of course, the translation. I don't like the New Jerusalem, but here's the thing: I only care about bible translations when I'm reading/studying. I don't really care too much about the translation when I'm simply praying the psalms in the liturgy of the hours, because its the prayers that matter, not the translation.

Also, I've tried all the rosary apps and in my humble opinion Art Image Rosary is by far the best. Holy Rosary by EBSolutions is a close second.

I've got about 24 Catholic apps and a dozen or so general Christian apps and I've recently decided I'm going to make a website reviewing each of them. I'll post it here when/if it gets up and running.

I've been reading your blog and you have a beautiful family. My fiancée and I hope to home school a big family someday soon so we will keep an eye on your blog.

God Bless
Old Jul 16, '09, 10:37 am
Banned

Here is a good video review of Universalis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01eod...eature=related
Old Jul 19, '09, 4:58 am
Observing Member

I just posted a new iPhone application that has the complete Catechism of the Catholic Church in a searchable, tag-gable software. Hope this helps you all: iCatechism via iTunes store - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...322679577&mt=8
Old Jul 19, '09, 6:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedad View Post
I just posted a new iPhone application that has the complete Catechism of the Catholic Church in a searchable, tag-gable software. Hope this helps you all: iCatechism via iTunes store - http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...322679577&mt=8
Outstanding application. I've been hoping for the catechism on my iPhone for some time. I like the interface and the navigation. I especially like being able to bookmark articles for later. The ability to bookmark makes this a great tool for apologetics because now I dont have to carry a Catechism around. I can jump right to the catechism's teaching on any given doctrine without having to go looking for it.

Thanks for bringing us this great app and thanks for making it so affordable. You could easily charge $20 or $30 for this.
Old Jul 20, '09, 12:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

iPieta is great. I'm a convert and I used to joke that all you cradle Catholics are born with the prayer book that the rest of us have memorize. BY GOLLY I have all the prayers- novenas - consecrations and so on. PLUS iPieta comes with the Baltimore catechism, the saints, the imitiation of Christ, The Louis de Monfort total consecration and lot more. Look under the 3 dots that say more and under Veritas. The only thing I don't like about it is the version of the Bible (yes it has that too) it uses. It calls Noah Noe and Shem Sem. Never seen those spellings. That's why I did the search and found this thread--was to find a better version of the Bible. But for $4.99 WOW.

Nydia

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media