Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 9, '08, 11:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Lizard31088
Default a Catholic at a Presbyterian College...any suggestions?

At the college that I am attending, they are very much against Catholicism. Every full-time faculty member has to sign a statement saying they are an "evangelical protestant." A professor recently converted to the Catholic Church and was fired.
This is, obviously, a Christian school (affiliated with the Reformed Presbyterian church). However, as fellow Christians, I would think they would encourage Christianity.
Catholics on campus have always been looked down upon. There is a Catholic chaplain here (who is the priest of the local Catholic church), but he was told that he was not permitted to hold any events or groups for Catholics on campus.
You might ask why, as a Catholic, am I staying here...Well, 2 reasons: (1) I'm a junior and am just now really, really feeling the impact of this anti-Catholic feeling and the credits I have taken won't all transfer elsewhere and I'm sooo ready to be done with school; and (2) I feel like I'm meant to be here. I have actually helped a lot of students here to get over their misconceptions of Catholics.
Recently, a few students have gotten together to have a "Catholic fellowship" meeting. The school is acknowledging that we are getting together, but will not allow us to have a "club" status. It's a start. We were thinking that we should do something to make other students aware of the presence of Catholics on campus...not in an offensive or agressive way, but through an act of service or something of the sort. We have no clue what to do, though.
Any suggestions of what we can do to share the Catholic faith through actions (other than just in our daily living)? Thanks a bunch!!
Old Nov 9, '08, 2:26 pm

Religion: Catholic - Tiber Swim Class of 2009
Default Re: a Catholic at a Presbyterian College...any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard31088 View Post
At the college that I am attending, they are very much against Catholicism. Every full-time faculty member has to sign a statement saying they are an "evangelical protestant." A professor recently converted to the Catholic Church and was fired.
This is, obviously, a Christian school (affiliated with the Reformed Presbyterian church). However, as fellow Christians, I would think they would encourage Christianity.
Catholics on campus have always been looked down upon. There is a Catholic chaplain here (who is the priest of the local Catholic church), but he was told that he was not permitted to hold any events or groups for Catholics on campus.
You might ask why, as a Catholic, am I staying here...Well, 2 reasons: (1) I'm a junior and am just now really, really feeling the impact of this anti-Catholic feeling and the credits I have taken won't all transfer elsewhere and I'm sooo ready to be done with school; and (2) I feel like I'm meant to be here. I have actually helped a lot of students here to get over their misconceptions of Catholics.
Recently, a few students have gotten together to have a "Catholic fellowship" meeting. The school is acknowledging that we are getting together, but will not allow us to have a "club" status. It's a start. We were thinking that we should do something to make other students aware of the presence of Catholics on campus...not in an offensive or agressive way, but through an act of service or something of the sort. We have no clue what to do, though.
Any suggestions of what we can do to share the Catholic faith through actions (other than just in our daily living)? Thanks a bunch!!
God bless you - its wonderful that you are making an effort to fellowship with others who share your faith. The best advice I can offer you is to try to live your faith by example and let those around you think about it. Also, brush up on the scriptural and historical basis of Catholicism so that you can be prepared to answer, respectfully and in love, if other students question your faith. In that environrment, some may do so sincerely, others based upon misperceptions of the Catholic faith.

Read Scott Hahn's book Rome Sweet Home for the story of a prespyterian minister (and graduate of Gordon Evangelical seminiary) who ultimately became a Catholic (there may be classmates among you whose interest is piqued by your presence - that could be the seed that bears fruit many years from now).

Blessings,

Brian
The time is coming," declares the Lord, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah." (Jer 31:31)
Old Nov 9, '08, 3:10 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (proud of it!)

Maybe you guys could organize a "getaway" to Eucharistic adoration at the closest church. (This would work best on weekends). Invite any Protestants to come.
Another way to make your presence know is to have a Bible study. This could potentially turn bad, because of all the anti-Catholics there, but it would be a start. Just be sure to know your defences, in case they start to bash you. Take a look around this site to beef up your arguments.
Also, a "rosary night" would be good. Here, you could talk about the history of the rosary/Marian devotions, then pray either part of the rosary or the whole thing.
Maybe a question/answer get- together would be helpful to the other students who have bias to Catholics.
Any big public things (signs, announcements, etc.) probably aren't allowed at your school if they're Catholic oriented, so don't try to do that.
Here's a link to a story of a Protestant convert, and why he converted:
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1998/9812conv.asp
That has some good arguments from a Protestant point of view.
This is a good thing you guys are doing. Keep it up!
Keep us updated, too.

http://www.fightfoca.com/

+JMJ+

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
Old Nov 9, '08, 8:25 pm
Book Club Member

I just have a simple question...

Is this school located in America?Does it receive federal funding?

Ger
Old Nov 9, '08, 9:12 pm

Quote:
You could pass out rosaries.... hehe just kidding.

My high school students and I are collecting soda pop cans/bottles for the nickel deposits. The money will be sent to a Maryknoll Mission project in Tanzania. It only takes 120,000 cans to build a house

For local project we are going to sing Christmas carols for the people living in a nursing home.

Those are a couple ideas. If I think up more I will post them.

God bless
Old Nov 10, '08, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbinson View Post
The best advice I can offer you is to try to live your faith by example and let those around you think about it. Also, brush up on the scriptural and historical basis of Catholicism so that you can be prepared to answer, respectfully and in love, if other students question your faith. In that environrment, some may do so sincerely, others based upon misperceptions of the Catholic faith.

Read Scott Hahn's book Rome Sweet Home for the story of a prespyterian minister (and graduate of Gordon Evangelical seminiary) who ultimately became a Catholic (there may be classmates among you whose interest is piqued by your presence - that could be the seed that bears fruit many years
We have definitely been talking about living our faith. We have had many questions from fellow students and have discovered that most of what people know about Catholicism comes from their parents which came from their parents, etc. Somewhere along the line the information got mangled or somebody had a bad experience with Catholicism and misstated something (it's kind of like that telephone game where there's a line of people who all supposedly pass along the same phrase, but sometimes it gets totally messed up by the end). We are currently doing a book study-like meeting weekly. It's on a book that talks specifically about common misconceptions of the Catholic faith.

And yes, Steboyz, it is in America and it does receive federal funding, but it's a private institution...

Thanks for the suggestions Highwayhound I'll have to keep those in mind and discuss them when the group meets on Friday...well, except for the passing out rosaries one...do you want us to get mobbed? haha
Old Nov 10, '08, 9:02 am

Another idea - a good friend of mine started a Faith and Science discussion group at the nearby college. It was dubbed "Newton's Circle". A wide range of topics were discussed. The topics ranged from cosmology, Does God exist, mathematics, good vs. evil, etc.

If science is not your bag then you could come up with a different theme for the group.

Instead of rosaries... perhaps Miraculous Medals...??

God bless
Old Nov 10, '08, 9:04 am

If they recieive Federal funding then they can NOT discriminate against you based on your race, religion, etc.!
Old Nov 10, '08, 9:07 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Just a cynical observation to cheer you up.

You will probably find no more anti-Catholic sentiment at a Presbyterian college than at a CINO Catholic school.
Old Nov 10, '08, 12:11 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

One idea would be to host a Thanksgiving dinner for students who can't get home. The Catholics can serve.
Old Nov 10, '08, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin View Post
One idea would be to host a Thanksgiving dinner for students who can't get home. The Catholics can serve.
Excellent idea!
Old Nov 11, '08, 5:28 am
Book Club Member

Faithalone

Thats exactly my point.Thats what is hard to believe.There are a lot of ways to get around the rules but most companies could not use that as an excuse to fire.We have a private Catholic girls high school that fired a teacher because her name was printed in an ad supporting abortion rights.

Ger
Old Nov 11, '08, 5:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steboyz View Post
Faithalone

Thats exactly my point.Thats what is hard to believe.There are a lot of ways to get around the rules but most companies could not use that as an excuse to fire.We have a private Catholic girls high school that fired a teacher because her name was printed in an ad supporting abortion rights.

Ger
well in the case you describe she more than likely has a morality clause (or something of the sort) in her teaching contract, since she supported something that totally went against the Catholic Church she deserved to get her butt fired, IMHO! I would not want her teaching in my kids Private Catholic School(s) !!!
Old Nov 11, '08, 5:39 am
Book Club Member

exactly

she lost.

Ger
Old Nov 11, '08, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steboyz View Post
Faithalone

Ger
The 1st Amendment gives religious employers the right to hire people who share their religious beliefs. When faculty are hired here, they have to sign a statement of faith that says that they are an "Evangelical Protestant." It used to say "Evangelical Christian," which a few Catholics have taken advantage of and said that they were, indeed, evangelical christians (they are either still employed here or have retired)...the people who were fired signed the statement saying they were evangelical protestants so they were fired because they were going against the statements they signed. Other professors simply teach pre-reformation Catholicism rather than ever mentioning the "Counter Reformation" or how the church changed after the reformation. However, this was not my question...nor does it really have to do with my question...

Thank you to those who gave suggestions. They are definitely worth bringing up at our meeting.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization