Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 10, '08, 12:43 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Claude Frollo
Default Becoming a priest, about age.

Hi,

Is there an age limit for attending studies to become a priest ? I ask this question although it seems to me so there is no limit. At least there should not be. But we know that it takes pretty much time to become a priest (7-9 years) from the beginning.
So, I am now 26 years old. If I am called to become a priest, I hope I didn't miss the right time at all.
Old Nov 10, '08, 2:16 am

Default Re: Becoming a priest, about age.

I don't think you have missed your window. The normal lower age limit established by Canon Law is 25 years old at the time of ordination. I didn't see any upper age limit in Canon Law; I guess that will depend on the particular diocese or religious order willing to sponsor you. The average age of the 100 seminarians at Sacred Heart School of Theology in Hales Corners, Wisconsin is 44 years old. source The best way to find out is to talk to the Vocations Director at the diocese or religious order you are interested in. By the way, thank you for even considering a vocation to the priesthood.

Last edited by Todd Easton; Nov 10, '08 at 2:30 am.
Old Nov 10, '08, 12:24 pm

Our diocese has had older seminarians attending Hales Corner and just this past year a couple of them over 70 years old were ordained. Not all dioceses accept them that old.
Old Nov 10, '08, 12:36 pm

Religion: Catholic (Anglican)

You haven't missed the window. Talk to your diocesan vocations director and your pastor. Also, research religious orders if you're curious about life as a religious priest.
Old Nov 10, '08, 3:08 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

At a discernment dinner, I met most of the guys there who were in 30's. Someone whom I am closed to got ordained in his 40's.
Old Nov 10, '08, 6:18 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

It all depends on the diocese/religious community that you wish to apply to.

But 26 does not seem to be all that old for such a calling.

Do you have a bachelors degree? If not then you will need to complete that before entry into a major seminary but if you are interested you should 1) get a spiritual director and 2) speak with some vocations directors.

I am 41 and am in my first year of the theologate (which is a seminary for religious).
Old Nov 10, '08, 6:21 pm

There are also seminaries specifically for older men. In my old diocese a widower grandfather (I believe he had been a doctor) was ordained a priest
Old Nov 10, '08, 8:55 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Something to remember:

The English word "priest" comes from the Greek word "presbyteros" which means "elder" or "older man."

As a comparison, the canonical age for ordination in Orthodoxy is 30, and most bishops will not ordain a celibate priest (as opposed to a monk) below the age of 40.
Old Nov 11, '08, 11:07 am

I don't have a bachelor degree yet. The situation is very complicated for me. I am studying law and I live in a muslim predominated country where there are not maybe more than 7000 Catholics at all and even I don't think that a seminar exists, because it is not allowed.
Old Nov 11, '08, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Frollo View Post
I don't have a bachelor degree yet. The situation is very complicated for me. I am studying law and I live in a muslim predominated country where there are not maybe more than 7000 Catholics at all and even I don't think that a seminar exists, because it is not allowed.
You are in Constantinople? (I still like the old name )

That does cause issues. You will have to leave the country, in all likelihood.

Which sui juris Church do you belong to?

May God Bless you abundantly in your vocation!
Old Nov 12, '08, 1:04 am

Yes that's right, I am in Constantinopolis and I belong to the Roman Catholic Church as sui iuris.

There are not many Catholic churches here but still some. I speak with the priests. Foreign priests do not wish to come here because there were some brutal actions against Christians recently but some brave are still here and I am glad about this though more native priests are needed.

The city is not completely lost. Someone in a place in the south of the country has written on the wall in Latin "Deus inde abest" which means "God is not here" or "God has abandoned here" because of the moral degeneration I think but I don't believe in this phrase.

Catholic Church is not legitimized here. Pope visited here some time ago and told the government that Catholics should be recognized. No one listened him.

It is somehow here so that we live like in the early days of the Christianity as small groups of laity and somehow disguised.
Old Nov 12, '08, 2:36 am

I know of a few who weren't ordained until they were in their 60s. Some had even raised families and had successful carreers, then became priests after thier wives passed away.

So Claude, there's plenty of time, you haven't missed your chance. But don't wait any longer before you begin to work towards this goal. Talk to your pastor, learn the requirements, see if there aren't some classes you could be taking.

Only a dream pursued can become reality.
Old Nov 14, '08, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Frollo View Post
Yes that's right, I am in Constantinopolis and I belong to the Roman Catholic Church as sui iuris.

There are not many Catholic churches here but still some. I speak with the priests. Foreign priests do not wish to come here because there were some brutal actions against Christians recently but some brave are still here and I am glad about this though more native priests are needed.

The city is not completely lost. Someone in a place in the south of the country has written on the wall in Latin "Deus inde abest" which means "God is not here" or "God has abandoned here" because of the moral degeneration I think but I don't believe in this phrase.

Catholic Church is not legitimized here. Pope visited here some time ago and told the government that Catholics should be recognized. No one listened him.

It is somehow here so that we live like in the early days of the Christianity as small groups of laity and somehow disguised.
So, if you are part of the Latin Church, you could go to almost any country to study for the priesthood. Perhaps the Italian Ambassador could be of help?

God Bless
Old Nov 15, '08, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315 View Post
There are also seminaries specifically for older men. In my old diocese a widower grandfather (I believe he had been a doctor) was ordained a priest
The administrator of our parish before our current pastor had only been a priest one year when he was given the position. Yes, he was a grandfather with 4 grown children. Ordained at the age of 60, he had been a been the CEO of a pharmaceutical company. Yes, he had gone to medical school for a while at Crichton.
Old Feb 28, '13, 6:42 am
Observing Member

I will be 59 this year, and for some reason the idea that it is not too late for me to become a priest will just not go away. I was married and then divorced, but I have a Church annulment so that should pose no problem. I have a Master's degree so there should be no trouble in that area either.

I know that I must continue to pray in order to discern if such a massive change in my life is what I should do, but if the answer is that I should become a priest, could I get more information about the three seminaries for older men? I know that one is in Wisconsin, another I believe in Massachusetts. Could anyone give me detailed information about all three? Thank you very much.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations