Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 12, '08, 2:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to pkm38 Send a message via Yahoo to pkm38
Default I am a new 3rd Grade CCD Teacher!

I am a new 3rd grade ccd teacher. I love the little childern that are in my class. I would like to make this class lively and fun and full of information about our wonderful religion. Any other ccd teachers out there that could give me some helpful advice for my class?
Old Nov 12, '08, 7:00 pm

Default Re: I am a new 3rd Grade CCD Teacher!

I'm in my second year of teaching 3rd grade ccd. I've also taught 7th grade.

My advice is to switch activities every 10 minutes and to do get them out of their seats at least once during class.
Old Nov 13, '08, 4:35 pm

Thank you so much for responding. I will see what other activities I can come up with. I really look forward to this and I hope I can teach them something that will stay with them always. Like always being able to know that as Catholics, we are really never alone. We have the whole communion of saints and angels that they can pray to intervene to Jesus to help them when things are going well or not so well. Things that they can take with them as they grow.
Old Nov 13, '08, 5:02 pm

If you have a specific topic, I could suggest some activites that I use.
Old Nov 13, '08, 5:55 pm

That would be wonderful. Right now we are studying How Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus before he raised him from the dead. I hought that was powerful for the kids to know that Jesus because he is God is human also. Also we are studying the holy spirit. I also want to introduce the children to special saints and learning the rosary.
Old Nov 13, '08, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm38 View Post
That would be wonderful. Right now we are studying How Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus before he raised him from the dead. I hought that was powerful for the kids to know that Jesus because he is God is human also. Also we are studying the holy spirit. I also want to introduce the children to special saints and learning the rosary.
This Sunday, I'm introducing my unit on Jesus. We've been going through the Apostle's Creed. We just did King David. I wanted to get to the Nativity narratives before Christmas.

Here's a rough outline of how I might teach a class on this story:

First, I'd have a question on the board: Who was Lazarus? Or, how did Lazarus make Jesus cry?

We'd start with a short prayer--usually an ejaculation like Jesus, Mary, Joseph. I love you. Save souls.

Then, I do a short review of the last week's class. We usually either read or just talk in general about the Apostles Creed and where we are in studying it--in this case--I believe in Jesus......

Whenever I do a Bible story, I have the kids act it out--usually as I narrate. So, if we were covering the story of Lazarus, I'd read the story. Then, I'd get as many kids as possible to act it out. So, I'd have a Martha, a Mary, a Jesus, a Lazarus, and a crowd. We'd probably do it twice.

We'd also talk about how death was a punishment for original sin and how Jesus was probably thinking not only of Lazarus, but of all the people who have died. This would tie it into our study of original sin.

Then, I'd have the kids do a Bible shout. I put a Bible verse on the board with a few words underlined. I read the portion and the kids shout the underlined words.

Then, we'd do a game of some sort relating to the lesson or cumulative review quiz game.

This is the point in which I will read a story about a saint if I have time. I try to be as dramatic as possible telling or reading the story.

I've reviewed the Rosary with the kids. But, they don't seem to remember it very well. I tend to think they are just too young to "get it" esp. if they don't pray it at home. So, what we usually do is a closing prayer with one decade of the Rosary. I use a ball to be the rosary bead. The kids pass it around, taking turns reciting the Hail Mary and other prayers of the Rosary. I always dim the lights, but I don't mess with a candle.....

When we talk about concepts as as opposed to stories, I have other games we do. With stories, I generally do the acting out method of learning it.

I recently picked up a link on another thread that I am getting a lot of good ideas from

http://homepage.mac.com/chrisbiffle/Menu38.html

One thing I'm going to change is to have the kids repeat and teach each other concepts/facts rather than ask questions and have the same two kids answer over and over.
Old Dec 4, '08, 8:22 pm
Observing Member

I am also a new 3rd grade CCD teacher. Glad to find you, perhaps we can share some ideas that work. I'm actually filling in for the teacher who is going thru some health problems, and that's been a little tough because she is very structured, and I am a little more creative in approaching these children.......she has a chart that is sent home every week for the children to check off that they said their morning and night prayers daily, there is also a place to check off "other" (such as mealtime prayers). The parent has to sign. She has a posted chart that gets a sticker for each one returned. 5 stickers earns a bookmark, 5 more an activity book, then a rosary case, then a rosary. There are enough rosaries of different colors hung on the bulletin board for each child. First one to get enough stickers gets their choice.

Problem was that only 2 of 9 were returning the prayer charts. I had them make their own "prayer rocks" a week before Thanksgiving break. My husband got me rocks from our property that were fairly flat on top. The Dollar store sells fabric gift bags, 2 for $1, with a drawstring top (I have only found them at Christmas time). I bought potpoutti. There is a prayer rock poem ( let me know if you want it and do not have it) that I copied. I have a little story about rocks in the live of Jesus, from His birth to His crucifiction that came from a book from Patricia Mathson, don't want to plagerize but think I could share it). Anyhow, I gave them the rocks, and turn down the lights, had them hold the rocks and just feel them as I read the story to them. Then they were able to decorate their own prayer rocks as they wantedm washable markers actually worked! Then they put the rocks in the fabric bags, and came up for me to put the potpourri in, as these go on their pillows to remind them to say their prayers. I also gave them paper to write prayers, or anything they wanted (such as "Jesus, help me with my math test next week, pray for a family member who is sick.............etc.), I had prayer rock poem cut, and let them pick put the color of construction paper they wanted. That was cut bigger and the poem was glued on (glue sticks work best). I had a hole punch, and these were then tied with the drawstrings. (I wish I had thought to have the hole reinforcements, as some ripped off before the kids went home.)
Since the bags have drawstrings, I told them they can add any notes they want in the future. The next week, I had 5 who returned their prayer charts, and said their prayer rocks did help remind them!
Old Dec 5, '08, 9:23 am

They might also like sacrifice/prayer beads--these can also be used as one decade rosaries.

http://www.2heartsnetwork.org/beads.htm

how to make

http://thelittleways.com/how-to-make-sacrifice-beads/
Old Dec 7, '08, 11:32 am

HI all,

I was on the Rosary Army website and they have instructions on how to make the rosary with twine. I love the idea and so do the kids. I am seeing how we can just make one decade so the kids don't have to handle too much twine.

I will let you know how it comes out! Wish me luck
Old Jan 5, '10, 4:20 pm
Trial Membership

Hi! I am a new 3rd grade CCD teacher as well. I have thought of many ideas that I think will be fun! When learning about the Holy Spirit and what the Holy Spirit does, I had my class get partners and to a trust walk with one person blindfolded and one person guiding. Of course, you can make the walk much more fun with obstacle courses, climbing, needing to shoot a basketball, etc. They then switch off. Afterwards, we talked about how in order to be successful in that activity, you needed trust and faith in your partner. That is the same way with the Holy Spirit. You do not see it, but you know it is leading you through the right path, the planned path. And you need to have faith in God and the Holy Spirit because they help you with difficult decisions in life as well.

If you have a specific topic, I can definitely help think of more ideas
Old Jan 5, '10, 6:30 pm

I teach a Kindergarten CCD class and I just picked up a 7th grade class two weeks before Christmas (their teacher abandoned them after two weeks of classes and they spent 6 weeks with subs learning nothing). My daughter is in a 3rd grade CCD class. Her teacher, my neighbor, uses a lot of the same things I use for my Kindergarten class. Foam crafts that are faith based, coloring pages (she gets her from CatholicMom.com, but I like the coloring books that TheCatholicCompany.com has for ages 6-10 better, and they give permission to make copies). I would strongly suggest making sure the kids know the prayers they're supposed to know by 3rd grade (in our parish the kids are required to know the Hail Mary, Our Father, Glory Be, Sign of the Cross and Act of Contrition prior to first communion). Our diocese has on their curriculum guidelines that the 3rd graders should know the Apostles Creed by the end of the year. So I would be sure to have the class do some of those prayers each week since they may not be using them at home. By third grade the kids could easily do a decade of the rosary (my 4 year old can do this on her own). You could do a decade a week and teach them a new mystery to meditate on each week. I have a bingo game called Saint Search that could also be a fun game for the kids to play (I got that at Aquinasandmore.com). In my 7th grade class (and the kids as young as 2nd grade play this game in our parish) we play build the church which is like hang man only you build a stick figure church instead. We use vocabulary words from the chapter we covered or other faith based words such as those pertaining to the Mass. All the kids like playing this game and it gets them thinking when they have the task of picking the word and running the game. Have fun with the class.
Old Jul 20, '10, 2:17 pm
Trial Membership

Wow!!! There are some great ideas here!! I hope all you catechists have had a great year!! I teach a 1st Grade CCD class. This September will be the start of my fourth year!! Our parish uses a textbook to guide the instruction, but I've been finding myself gradually moving away from it. I typically rely much more on my own creative flare. Nothing beats simply reading a story aloud to the kids, or discovering ways to connect the lessons to their daily lives.

to ckindya: I really really like that whole deal on "prayer rocks".... Could you get me the information on all that??

to 2HunnyBuns a.k.a Karen: I love your variation to the "hang man" game! What other ideas do you have that may help me to minister to first graders?
Old Jul 20, '10, 2:45 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

check out http://www.catholicmom.com/ they have some useful materials geared towards kids.

I have seen prayer rocks available on oriental trading's website. The library system for which i work usually orders tons from from them for other secular projects.

http://www.orientaltrading.com

they also have these small crosses made of plastic that kids can fill with colored sand.
Old Aug 12, '13, 9:47 am

Talking Re: I am a new 3rd Grade CCD Teacher!

Good afternoon! This will be my 1st year as a 3rd Grade CCD Teacher, but not as a Catechist! I have found with each grade level I have taught that they need these things:

Crafts
Skits
Games
Snack (Always relating to the lesson: i.e. Angel Food Cake for Feast of Archangels or Guardian Angels)

When I have crafts or any of the above they always pertain to the lesson.

Last year, I used http://www.catholicicing.com a lot. While I had 4th and 5th Graders, they
seemed to really like the snacks we had.

One was an "Empty Tomb" treat.

It had 1 grahm cracker representing the ground where Jesus walked and was laid, green icing for the grass, chocolate donuts with the bottom cut off for the "tombs" (mini-donuts work best), and then a "split" oreo cookie for the "rock/stone" that had been rolled away.

What a way to remember the story!

For the Holy Spirit: We had a "scavenger hunt." I took 7 envelopes that had been sealed (small ones with popsicle sticks) listing the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit. I then placed them throughout the inside of the building that we use for our CCD Classes. The children then had to go on the 'hunt' to find them. After each envelope had been 'found' we returned to our classroom. Each child when asked to 'unsealed' their envelope. I did not go in order from 1-7 to mix things up. They really enjoyed that. As each Gift of the Spirit was read about, we talked about the definition. I used "The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism- Offical Revised Edition Explained by Father Bennet, C.P." for Grades 3-5. This helped to give the simplest explanation. Afterwards, we made "Pentecost Sundaes" also from http://www.catholicicing.com. Of course, due to the sugar in the ice cream, the children had extra energy. NO PROBLEM! I took orange, yellow, and orange puffs. These represented the "fire" of the Holy Spirit. The children then "threw" them gently to each other, naming a gift of the Holy Spirit as they threw them. Of course, there are a lot of repeptive answers, but it told me which ones stood out to them. Then, I had a music story with the story of Pentecost by Brother Ho Lung and friends. The chldren then formed a 'Holy Spirit' Conga line as they danced around the room. They really enjoyed this class for the ones who missed, came the rest of the year!

Hope I could be of help!
Old Aug 29, '13, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleus221 View Post
Wow!!! There are some great ideas here!! I hope all you catechists have had a great year!! I teach a 1st Grade CCD class. This September will be the start of my fourth year!! Our parish uses a textbook to guide the instruction, but I've been finding myself gradually moving away from it. I typically rely much more on my own creative flare. Nothing beats simply reading a story aloud to the kids, or discovering ways to connect the lessons to their daily lives.

to ckindya: I really really like that whole deal on "prayer rocks".... Could you get me the information on all that??

to 2HunnyBuns a.k.a Karen: I love your variation to the "hang man" game! What other ideas do you have that may help me to minister to first graders?
Same here. I teach 1st grade and this year and teaching both classes (Sunday and Tuesday). Last year was my first year so I was new but now I learned a few things. We have a book which I use but also supplement it by learning the sacraments and the rosary and prayers. On my computer I create word searches.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting