Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 16, '08, 12:13 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Containers for Holy Oil

Greetings! For Christmas I'm putting together a Spiritual Defense Kit for each member of my family, including blessed candles, blessed and exorcised salt, blessed and exorcised water, and blessed oil. The problem is trying to find a glass container for the oil (which will be good quality olive oil). In my kitchen, every plastic container (esp. the original containers from the stores) where oil has been stored has eventually "leached" the oil to the outside of the container, turning it sticky.

I really don't want this to happen to the blessed oil, so I decided to use glass containers for the oil. The problem is, I can't find any suitable glass containers at K-Mart, WalMart, or any of the craft stores where I looked. However, I DID find something that might work at a grocery store. The problem is, it's a food container.

Several sources I've read say the containers you get for storing holy water, etc. should be new, never used to store anything else. (i.e., no mayonaise jars.) I simply can't find anything else suitable, though, and I thought that if I clean the containers with soap and bleach, rinse thoroughly, then "bake" in the oven or perhaps in the pressure cooker (to sterilize them), they would be OK to use.

I'm looking for input on these ideas. If anyone knows where I could find some "leach-proof" containers suitable for holy oil, I would really appreciate knowing!

Thanks!

<><
Old Nov 16, '08, 3:36 am
Forum Master

Default Re: Containers for Holy Oil

Our diocese uses medicine bottles to send the Holy Oils to the various parishes when a representative cannot be at the Chrism Mass. Go to the drugstore and ask to buy some of those. They are plastic, but not the kind of plastic you use to store food in at home and I haven't seen any have the oil leach out.
Old Nov 16, '08, 3:49 am

You might too look at glass laboratory vials. Just google lab supplies. Hope this helps!
Old Nov 16, '08, 3:52 am

I heard a parishioner ask a priest (not my parish) for holy oil and the priest declined and said he wasn't comfortable giving it out, so evidently it's not a "given" that we are able to take holy oil in our possession.

I did find this on Fisheaters:

"The blessing of oils is performed by the Bishop of each diocese on Maundy Thursday ("Holy Thursday") in the diocese's cathedral during a "Chrism Mass." The oils are kept in metal or glass bottles called "chrismatories," "chrismals," or "ampullae." These vessels are then stored in a cabinet called an "ambry," which is usually fixed to the wall of the sanctuary. Priests also have a portable "oilstock" which has a section for each of the three holy oils. Lay people are not to handle the holy oils, even to carry them, except in emergencies."

Glad
Old Nov 16, '08, 3:57 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladCatholic View Post
I heard a parishioner ask a priest (not my parish) for holy oil and the priest declined and said he wasn't comfortable giving it out, so evidently it's not a "given" that we are able to take holy oil in our possession.

Glad
I think the OP was referring to 'blessed oil' and not some of the Holy Oils held by the parish.

I don't know how it is in other dioceses but our parishes only get 2 oz of each so aren't likely to part with any.
Old Nov 16, '08, 5:21 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladCatholic View Post

I did find this on Fisheaters:

"The blessing of oils is performed by the Bishop of each diocese on Maundy Thursday ("Holy Thursday") in the diocese's cathedral during a "Chrism Mass." The oils are kept in metal or glass bottles called "chrismatories," "chrismals," or "ampullae." These vessels are then stored in a cabinet called an "ambry," which is usually fixed to the wall of the sanctuary. Priests also have a portable "oilstock" which has a section for each of the three holy oils. Lay people are not to handle the holy oils, even to carry them, except in emergencies."

Glad
She is not talking about the Sacred oils, SC, OI, and OC. They are not permitted to be in the possession of anyone other then a Priest or Bishop. Blessed Oil however is a sacramental I keep some from a shrine I visit in a small glass bottle that I got at the shrine. I also have a small glass medicine bottle of Blessed Oil form my grandmother itís 80+years old and has never leaked.
Old Nov 16, '08, 5:53 am

Aha...so the woman who asked for the oil from the priest asked for the wrong oil. I remember he looked really uncomfortable when she asked, and he did start talking about how they received it once a year from the Bishop.

Glad
Old Nov 16, '08, 6:36 am
Forum Elder

Specialty Bottle has just what you are looking for:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

I used them to order little metal tins for my wedding favors. They have glass and plastic bottles and jars, too.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Nov 16, '08, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Specialty Bottle has just what you are looking for:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

I used them to order little metal tins for my wedding favors. They have glass and plastic bottles and jars, too.
Excellent! Thank you very much!

<><
Old Nov 17, '08, 1:08 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

lay persons should not be in possession of the holy oils blessed by the bishop, they belong in the parish, for the use of the priest, in the rites prescribed.

in this diocese the bishop has spoken very strongly against priests blessing common oil to give as a sacramental to the lay faithful, because there is so much confusion that has arisen around this usage--well meaning people using it to anoint the sick, in hospitals or during prayer services, for example, so the patient assumes they have received the actual sacrament of Anointing of the Sick, is the biggest abuse here.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments