Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 24, '08, 11:08 am

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Black Catholics

Quote:
Hey everyone, just a suggestion - to keep in mind Malia is new to all this stuff!! Words like Tridentine, SSPX, Novus Ordo, etc. probably don't mean anything to her yet.
you're right, I have no idea what those words mean...hehehe...hopefully, I'll learn as I read the posts and learn about Catholicism.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post. Everyone gave some really nice suggestions, advice and ideas.

I had no idea that there we so many black Catholics in various places. I'd be happy with just meeting one or two at the church I'm going to visit so I don't feel like I stand out
Old Nov 24, '08, 12:31 pm

Religion: Catholic

You may still "stand out" if you attend a parish in a mostly white area as I do. We only have a few Asian and a few black families. BUT you will be accepted and welcomed by all, all proper Catholics anyway..
Old Nov 24, '08, 12:35 pm
Forum Master

One other person to consider is Deacon Alex Jones.

He is a former Pentacostal Minister who is now a Catholic Deacon and international speaker

http://deaconalexcjones.com/home/
Old Nov 24, '08, 12:39 pm

Handy dandy resources:

Catechism of the Catholic Church

Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Writings of the Church Fathers
Old Nov 24, '08, 12:41 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

As has kind of been said, it depends on where you are.

If you are in an area with a large black population, you are likely to find some in the Catholic Church. If you are the only family in your area, then chances are you'll be the only one in the Church as well . For instance, my parish back home only has a few black families, while an hour down the road, I suspect I may only find a few white families at Mass.
Old Nov 24, '08, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
I can't imagine that anyone would have a problem with a black person coming to Mass. Catholics come in all races and nationalities. There's a fair chance you will encounter a black priest since this country is mission territory for Nigerian priests.

I don't know if it would make you feel better to know that there are Black bishops, archbishops, and cardinals, but there are. Two that I know of are Archbishop Gregory of Atlanta:

Bishop Braxton of Belleville:

I could also cite Cardinal Arinze, a leader in the worldwide Church (head of the Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments) but he's actually from Nigeria rather than from the U.S.

In any case, know that you're welcome in the Catholic church.
My bishop, George Murry, SJ, of the Diocese of Youngstown is also black. Everyone is welcome in the Catholic Church, so come on in, the water is fine!
Old Nov 24, '08, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia Belen View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I've found myself curious about the Catholic faith for the past few months which is the reason I signed up....hehehe although I've been kind of lurking and reading posts here for a while.

There are quite a few things that I'm unsure of about the Catholic Faith but I thought I'd start with the one that's actually preventing from stepping into a Catholic Church although it technically has nothing to do with the Catholic faith itself so I hope I'm posting it in the right place.

I'm a little bit nervous about visiting a Catholic Church because I'm black. I guess my question is are there many black Catholics? Will people there think I'm weird or strange 'cause I'm there? I know these seems like silly questions but I'm human and it's something that's been on my mind because I don't think I know any black Catholics.

Thanks for reading
Come to our little conservative mostly white with some hispanic folk Church in Western Colorado and meet our wonderful young black priest from Kenya.

One of the up-sides to the shortage of priests in American is the Missionaries that come from Kenya and other parts of the world to help us out.
Old Nov 24, '08, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert (20 years evangelical)

Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers is a great deacon from my area who is faithful to the Magisterium and speaks all over the globe on many different issues, primarily on the family and on Men's Spirituality.

http://auremcordis.com/mission_lg.php

He's on EWTN and on the radio.
'
Old Nov 24, '08, 4:33 pm

Welcome, Malia...

In my town, there are 2 Catholic African American congregations, both of which have several Caucasian families as members. So you can see, that the mix can work both ways. Each congregation welcomes its minority members and they remain because they know they belong there .
Old Nov 24, '08, 4:34 pm

Here's a partial list of black Catholic saints:

http://www.africanamericans.com/BlackSaints.htm

Also, Africa is rapidly becoming the center of Catholicism in our time.
Old Nov 24, '08, 6:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via MSN to jfallaw Send a message via Skype™ to jfallaw

There are not only many black Catholics, but many black Catholic priests! You may want to visit the website of the National Black Catholic Congress- http://www.nbccongress.org/ to find out more. Everyone has a place in the Church and is welcomed with all joy!

Tiber Swim Team '09!
Old Nov 25, '08, 4:50 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
I'm a little bit nervous about visiting a Catholic Church because I'm black. I guess my question is are there many black Catholics?

There are plenty of black Catholics, although there might not be in your particular location. In many parts of the United States, most Catholics are descended from immigrants from the Catholic nations of Europe- Italy, Poland, Ireland- nations that are overwhelmingly white.

It all has to do with waves of immigration , geography and history- and nothing to do with race per se.
Old Nov 25, '08, 11:55 am

HI. I think the simple thing to do would be look for a Catholic Church in a predominatly Black neighborhood. The parish I attend has an enormous mix of people. We have families that are racially mixed, families who have adopted children from China, Guatemala and Russia, and just about any other variety of person you can imagine. It's in a racially mixed neighborhood, so it's easy here. Anyone walking in the door would feel at home.

I can understand how your apprehension. I've been the only white person at a few weddings and a couple funerals, and I sang in a Gospel music concert at a Baptist Church. 200 singers, 6 were white. But everyone had one big thing in common; we were all there to praise the Lord through our love of Gospel music. You'll be in the Church for the same reason, and you'll be very welcome.
Old Nov 26, '08, 6:53 pm
Prayer Warrior

Over here the parish I go to we have a pretty nice blend of all races. I am originally from RI and I did not see any black people at any of the churches I went to.
Old Nov 26, '08, 8:45 pm

Religion: Jesus Buddhist

Quote:
you're right, I have no idea what those words mean...hehehe...hopefully, I'll learn as I read the posts and learn about Catholicism.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my post. Everyone gave some really nice suggestions, advice and ideas.

I had no idea that there we so many black Catholics in various places. I'd be happy with just meeting one or two at the church I'm going to visit so I don't feel like I stand out
Way back in 1873, the American Catholics hired a Black man as president of one of their predominately white universities.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization