Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 24, '08, 1:52 pm
Observing Member

Religion: ex Mormon
Default Ex Mormon Couple Marriage Questions

My husband and I are looking to convert to the Catholic church.
We have been out of the Mormon church now for 8 yrs.

1. Will we be allowed to join the Catholic church?
2. Will we need to be baptized again?
3. We would like to be remarried in the Catholic church. Is this possible? Is our marriage ok?

I have other questions as well but these are really on my mind.
We live in South Dakota.
Thanks
Old Nov 24, '08, 2:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ex Mormon Couple Marriage Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkangel View Post

3. We would like to be remarried in the Catholic church. Is this possible? Is our marriage ok?

We live in South Dakota.
Thanks

Let me start by welcoming you home! May God bless you on your journey.

1. Absolutely! You'll have to go through a program known as RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults). Typically it starts in the fall and ends with the participants officially joining the Church at Easter. I went through the class myself three years ago, and it really is helpful.

2. I'm assuming here that you've only been baptised in the LDS church. If that is the case, then yes, you will need to be baptised into the Catholic Church. This is also part of the RCIA class.

3. Your marriage will remain valid. They will most likely have to bless it in a Catholic church, but it is still recognized as a valid marriage.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Please feel free to ask any others you've got. Someone here surely knows the answer. Again, welcome home and God bless!

-CK

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old Nov 24, '08, 3:10 pm
Observing Member

Thank you for your quick response. Is this blessing like a ceremony or is it between you and your spouse and the Priest? Either is fine just wondering.

We have been concerned and scared to join or be a part of any church for many years. We want to make sure what we are doing and the track we are on is correct. It took us a long journey to get where we are today. We only want to do what is right. Our LDS family said because we were married in the temple and left the church that we were going to outter darkness(hell). Our Evangelical friends tell us if we join the Catholic church that it is like the Mormon church-a cult- just in a different form and if we join we will go to hell.
1. Is there only one church Christ wants us to join or does it really matter as long as we worship him?

We have came so far and we have tried so hard and weighed everything. I dont want to go to hell or outter darkness. I just want to do what is right and worship in a way that is most pleasing to God. We are just drained and feel like we cant make another mistake by joining the wrong religon. It is not just a earthly choice but a choice that will effect us for eternity. Just scared.
Old Nov 24, '08, 3:25 pm

I have to admit that I'm not entirely familiar with the blessing of weddings. Maybe one of the other folks on here can tackle that one. My knowledge of the Mormon church is limited to what I've heard from former members such as yourself, but from what I know, I understand your trepidation when it comes to joining another church. Pretty much all of us that have come to the faith from another tradition have struggled with the same feelings to one degree or another, albeit not to the extent that you are. I'm going to take a stab at your question here, but realize that the answer you get is going to depend completely on who answers. The Catholic Church teaches that all the various Christian denominations contain Truth in one form or another, but only the Catholic Church contains the fullness of truth. The Catholic Answers (not the forums) website contains a lot of tracts that cover arguements posed by people of various faiths, including the Mormons. They also explain some of the basic tenets of the faith. The Catholic faith traces its roots all the way back to when Jesus Christ himself founded it in 33 AD, so there's a lot of information to sort through. I know well how overwhelming that can be. An online version of everything that the Church teaches can be found here.

Once you feel like you can handle it, I would recommend either calling a nearby parish and seeing if you can meet with the priest to discuss your situation or attending Mass and trying to talk to him afterwards. He will be able to give you more in depth information tailored to your specific needs.

God bless you, and know that you and your family will be in my prayers.

-CK

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you do attend Mass, please be aware that Communion (also called the Eucharist) is closed, meaning that it is reserved for Church members only. Other than that, you are perfectly welcome to participate.

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old Nov 24, '08, 3:33 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite

Thank you for your post. Catholic_Kenpo told you correct information concerning conversion. I'd like to welcome you to the Catholic Church; don't be misguided by those who attempt to paint us as a "cult."

We are the original Christians.
Old Nov 24, '08, 4:12 pm

I just wanted to give you a couple of more links for learning exactly what the Church teaches:

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Faith Tracts

Answer Guides

I think between those three and the Catechism I linked you to earlier, it should answer the majority of your questions. As always, though, feel free to ask if you don't understand or want clarification. God bless.

-CK

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old Nov 24, '08, 5:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

We live in South Dakota.
Thanks
As Kenpo told you you will be welcomed through the RCIA program. You will need to be baptized. The Catholic Church does not recognize Mormon baptisms due to major differences in our understanding of the Trinity.

Your marriage is recognized as valid, but not sacramental. It will become sacramental when you are baptized. You cannot be remarried, but you can renew you marriage promises in an appropriate ceremony very much like a wedding. [There is considerable flexibility in the ceremony to adapt it to your wishes.] I recently had a similar experience with a Jewish couple who came through my RCIA program.
Old Nov 24, '08, 6:14 pm
Observing Member

Thank you for all of the information. I will check out and read and pray over everything. I didnt know that Jesus founded the Catholic church? In fact Ive been trying to read and search of what church or religon he might have us follow but couldnt find anything. Im sure it is answered in the info you provided.
One thing I came across was the Virgin Mary. Others say that Jesus had several brothers and a possible sister. Doesnt the Catholic church say that Mary never had any other children after Jesus?
Then Im coming to grips with the trinity as well(8 yrs of it). Any way of explaining it better?
Old Nov 24, '08, 7:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I sent you a PM.

5 Facts About Annulments

Posts express my private opinion only and do not establish a client-canonist relationship nor are they to be taken as canonical legal advice.
Old Nov 24, '08, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Thank you for all of the information. I will check out and read and pray over everything. I didnt know that Jesus founded the Catholic church? In fact Ive been trying to read and search of what church or religon he might have us follow but couldnt find anything. Im sure it is answered in the info you provided.
One thing I came across was the Virgin Mary. Others say that Jesus had several brothers and a possible sister. Doesnt the Catholic church say that Mary never had any other children after Jesus?
Then Im coming to grips with the trinity as well(8 yrs of it). Any way of explaining it better?
I'm going to give you some links to answer these questions. The material in these links will do far more justice to your questions than I ever could. The Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth article I linked you to earlier starts off with evidence showing that Christ indeed founded a Church (and only one Church). I highly recommend reading that. It gives a great scriptural explanation for the more common problems that people run in to with Catholic teachings. It's not meant to be comprehensive, though, and as such, doesn't really address your questions about Mary and the Trinity. Those links are listed below.

Mary Ever Virgin

Trinity

For future reference:

God Has No Body

Papal Authority

-CK

1st dan, 拳法空手
Old Nov 25, '08, 10:17 am

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite

My husband and I made the same journey that you are making now. We are very happy to tell you that you will love the mass and all things Catholic. We and our children converted over 20 years ago after a very hard journey out of the Mormon church. We too were married in the temple and had our marriage blessed in the Catholic Church. There is nothing more wonderful than living in a sacramental marriage. We have been married for over 42 years and have 7 children.

Welcome home, this is truly home and a safe harbor for the soul.
Ask all your questions, you will find the answers here.

God bless!!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations