Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: How much should we tithe
1% 0 0%
2% 1 5.26%
3-4% 1 5.26%
5% or greater 2 10.53%
10% or greater 14 73.68%
$20 per week or less 0 0%
$20 to $40 per week 1 5.26%
$40 to $80 per week 0 0%
$80 to $150 per week 0 0%
$200 per week or more 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 28, '08, 12:07 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Amount we should Tithe

How much should we tithe? Should it be a percentage or a fixed amount per person?
Old Nov 28, '08, 12:17 pm
Book Club Member

Default Re: Amount we should Tithe

I was told that the bishops recommended 2.5%, but unfortunately that isn't an exact choice in the poll, so I picked 3-4%
Old Nov 28, '08, 3:03 pm

I know that this is not for everyone...but I share in fellowship and charity.

Our Bishop...asks that we make a thanksgiving offering of 5% of gross income to the local Church (diocese) via Parish Sunday offerings...which would include all the special collections throughout the Liturgical Church Year. He stresses that this should be considered a "thanksgiving" to God...give back to God the first fruits of his gifts to us. Then, he asks us to make a mortification offering (detachment from nice-to-have but not necessary things in our life) by giving another 5% of gross income to charities and special ministries or apostates with a mission to the "least among us"...to make-up our 10%--(first fruits) tithe to the Lord. Lastly, he asks us especially during Advent and Lent to make a sacrificial offering of 2.5% or greater of gross income (giving up something we really want or something considered a normal aspect of life in USA) to a specific person/family in need (anonymously). Lastly, he asks that we give 5% time/talent per month (based on monthly hours we work in our jobs...on avg.will be @ 8 hrs/month) for parish/charitable causes specifically focused on "serving others". He said (actually, he promised) that our most significant spiritual progress/blessings and material blessings would come from the rather small sacrificial monetary offering (2.5%)...and...the sacrificial offering of our time/talents (5%).

Sound too detailed...to constraining...too demanding? The bottom line is that this bishop is much too worried about our souls (he doesn't want us to have to make a stop in purgatory for purification after death...when we can (most likely) be purified right here by living just a little bit of our life in sacrificial love for God and others). He is kind and compassionate about our whining and those "rabbit caught in the headlights" looks on our faces...as he gives us this guidance...but he is quick to point out that he is appointed by Christ and his Bride (The Church), through the power of the Holy Spirit as the Shepherd of our souls...and he won't "soft-pedal" any exhortation that is critical for our spiritual journey and for the well being of our souls in eternity (His demeanor/style was like that of a physician ...maybe a divine one).

Bottom line: his pastoral guidance works......its like...or more specifically...its akin to the "5 loaves & 2 fishes" miracle...it is a miracle of sorts...everything seems to work out...no matter what happens...we are very comfortable and very peaceful with his plan. Our marriage and family life have never been more blessed, more joyful and more peaceful. It took about a year to plan and readjust...but even that was really quite exhilarating. Since this experience in our lives, if our bishop speaks...we are all ears!

Pax Christi
Old Nov 28, '08, 3:16 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic - Convert RCIA class of 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Anthony View Post
How much should we tithe? Should it be a percentage or a fixed amount per person?
The tithe IS ten percent. That is what the word TITHE means. If you tithe, you give 10%.

If you give any different amount, 1 %, 19.6% - you give something other than a tithe.

So, if you are going to tithe, yes - you give 10%.
Old Nov 28, '08, 4:38 pm
Banned

Post Re: Amount we should Tithe

Tithe = 10%. Perhaps before taxes and other deductions, or maybe afterwards. But this is from the Mosaic Law, which Jesus abolished.

Nowadays one should remember to take care of family and personal obligations first. My own opinion is that amouunt to be donated to the Church should be between God and the donator ONLY. No Pope, Cardinal, Bishop, Priest, or anyone else should try to lay a guilt trip on those who donate less then 10%.

Now, my local parish, St. Philomena in Carson, California, SUGGESTS 10% of take-home pay. %5 for the parish, 5% for other charities, especially Catholic Charities.

Get real. In these tough economic times, most will be donating along the lines of the widow's mites. I happen to be one of the fortunate few who can donate 10% of take-home pay, provided I do not get hit with any big medical or vet bills that month. If I do, the contributions go down or get eliminated for that month

So each week I try to donate 5% to the Church and 5% to AA. That is $20 each, $40 altogether. Should I get extra pay from overtime, well....depends. This month, November, I donated $200 to the local Alano Club for our annual Thanksgiving Dinner, about 200-300 showing up.
Old Apr 1, '11, 10:18 pm
Banned

There is absolutely no requirement for Catholics to tithe (give 10% of what they earn to the Church.) There is nothing in the Catechism about tithing. There is nothing in canon law. There is nothing in any encyclical or papal document requiring Catholics to tithe. For a Catholic to talk seriously about tithing is just plain bizarre.

We ARE obligated to help the Church materially (money-wise,) as stated in the Precepts of the Church. But there is no minimum amount required. There is no specific percentage needed. Catholics are entirely free to give as little or as much as they want. And there is absolutely nothing officially written anywhere in the Church that says otherwise.

Anyone who maintains that Catholics MUST give 10% of our earnings to the Church is going beyond what we can legitimately say as Catholics. This is entering the realm of heresy. Catholics are free to give any amount they wish. It is a matter of conscience. As pointed out elsewhere on Catholic Answers, for a Catholic parish to demand a given percentage of money from its followers would be extortion - an outright heretical action. The Church as a whole has condemned such actions in the past.

Protestants often tithe. Mormons are REQUIRED to tithe. Some Catholic writers speak of tithing as if it is some kind of Catholic "obligation," but these writers are flatly wrong. "Catholic" writers who believe that Catholics should tithe often arrive at this viewpoint after associating too closely with the Protestant view. It is a view from outside the Church. And no Catholic is under any obligation to follow it.

Some so-called Catholic writers also speak of giving 5% of our earnings to Church, and 5% to the poor (roughly divided.) But this is just the usual 10% tithe, dressed up in a different format. And it is still heretical.

As far as can be determined, Catholics who believe that we should tithe say so out of fear. They often do not know the genuine requirements or teachings of the Church, and so usually they adopt an extreme position - the seemingly safest one. And this is natural, if unintelligent.

Most Catholics have heard of the 10% tithe, as mentioned in the Bible for the ancient Jews. Most have not heard the Catholic teaching on the subject. Christ released Christians from the obligation to tithe. Just as he released us from the obligation to be circumcised.

Catholics who are worried about their own salvation, however, generally adopt the strictest, most extreme way of achieving said salvation. If it is strict, then it must be right - or so the thinking goes. This is very common in most areas of human thinking. We are conditioned to think critically and look for the worst in life.

Final Note: Some Catholics who actually DO teach tithing belong to Traditionalist Catholic Churches - Churches that define themselves as Catholic, but which are not part of the ordinary Catholic Church. Traditionalists (mostly) do not follow the Pope or the Vatican. They feel that the regular Catholic Church is too "gentle" on its followers, too "soft" on non-believers. If you are reading a "Catholic" book and it sounds too strict, then you are probably reading a Traditionalist book. TAN Books is a particularly bad publisher. Their books can be vicious, judgmental, and downright scary. Liberals create plenty of heresies, but I feel that the very worst heresies in the world are the ones created by tough conservatives. And there's a lot of conservative confusion surrounding the Catholic Church.

Again, any Catholic worried about tithing shouldn't be. Tithing is (often) a Protestant phenomenon. It is not Catholic at all. And although the Catholic Church has the power to require more contributions from its followers, this power is almost never used. Tithing is simply not central to our faith. I have always found the Catholic Church to be rational, reasonable, and very gentle on its followers. It is EXTRAORDINARILY undemanding. It is very easy to be Catholic. And I feel sad when I see some people trying to make such an easy thing seem so very difficult.
Old Apr 1, '11, 10:42 pm
Banned

Post Re: Amount we should Tithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_Anthony View Post
Not in my opinion.

It should be whatever amount a person feels can be done, after properly taking care of their family obligations.
Old Apr 2, '11, 3:38 pm
Banned

Catholics do not tithe. It is not taught by the Church. There can be no opinion in this matter. Tithing is simply not a Catholic practice. How can this be any clearer?

I do not understand the confusion in this matter. There is no set amount of money to give to the Church. It can be pocket change. It can be one dollar. It can be ten dollars. It can be twenty. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking a heresy - an opinion only. A person can do charity with ANY amount of money. To say otherwise is evil.

If anyone insists on instructing people on how much they should give to the Church, that person may very well be committing a mortal sin. I have seen some new Catholics develop scrupulosity (an unhealthy conscience) and leave the Church over this matter. It is very serious. People must be free in their conscience. If you insist on pressing the matter further, you will be in sin.
Old Apr 8, '11, 9:43 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kemp View Post
If anyone insists on instructing people on how much they should give to the Church, that person may very well be committing a mortal sin.
Hi,
I don't think anyone was instructing people on how much to give. I was looking for some guidelines though. Also I had heard a rumour that 2.5% was a suggestion for Catholics in Canada and wanted to know if that was for real.
Old Apr 8, '11, 5:16 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

To "tithe" literally means to give 10% to the church. There is no other amount that fiits with "tithing".

Catholics provide the least support for their church of any Christian denomination. That is fact, and every poll ever done on this subject shows exactly that.

There is no set percentage that we are REQUIRED to provide to the church. BUT, we ARE required to adequately support the church, and frankly most people simply don't do that. Most Catholics don't even come close.

They want anything and everything FROM the church, but are unwilling to give much TO the church.

Even the "widow's mite" is important. If you can not give money, give time and labor. But give, according to the NEED, not what you feel is appropriate.
Old Apr 11, '11, 4:45 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruschak View Post
Tithe = 10%. Perhaps before taxes and other deductions, or maybe afterwards. But this is from the Mosaic Law, which Jesus abolished.
I'm not disagreeing with your stance that this is from Mosaic law however just for clarity sake Jesus came to fulfill the law not abolish it. There is a big difference.

Quote:
Nowadays one should remember to take care of family and personal obligations first. My own opinion is that amouunt to be donated to the Church should be between God and the donator ONLY. No Pope, Cardinal, Bishop, Priest, or anyone else should try to lay a guilt trip on those who donate less then 10%.

Quote:
Now, my local parish, St. Philomena in Carson, California, SUGGESTS 10% of take-home pay. %5 for the parish, 5% for other charities, especially Catholic Charities.

Get real. In these tough economic times, most will be donating along the lines of the widow's mites.
You understand that the widow was giving much more than 10%, she was giving ALL she had to live on. Jesus said so himself.

""Truly I tell you," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)"

Quote:
I happen to be one of the fortunate few who can donate 10% of take-home pay, provided I do not get hit with any big medical or vet bills that month. If I do, the contributions go down or get eliminated for that month

So each week I try to donate 5% to the Church and 5% to AA. That is $20 each, $40 altogether. Should I get extra pay from overtime, well....depends. This month, November, I donated $200 to the local Alano Club for our annual Thanksgiving Dinner, about 200-300 showing up.
That's nice but as you said, it should be between you and God.
Old May 16, '11, 2:04 pm
Banned

You wrote: "I don't think anyone was instructing people on how much to give. I was looking for some guidelines though. Also I had heard a rumor that 2.5% was a suggestion for Catholics in Canada and wanted to know if that was for real."

It's not for real. It is a suggestion ONLY. Nothing more. No Catholic is obligated to follow such a thing in any way. Such suggestions on giving are occasionally spoken by Bishops (very seldomly.) They are not morally binding on Catholics at all. It is entirely up to you whether you wish to follow it or not.

It is sometimes stated that Catholics should give 5% of their income to the Church, and 5% to charity. This is also nothing more than an arbitrary suggestion - one of many, floating around out there. You can follow it if you like. But you certainly aren't obligated to.

There is nothing in Canon Law, the Catechism, or any official Church publication or teaching about giving 5%, 2.5%, or any other percent of your income to Church or charity. You will never find any authoritative documentation to back up such a belief. It does not exist.

I have once heard 1% of one's income suggested as a guideline for giving to the Church. But once again, nobody is obligated to follow this.

It's strange. Even in the book "Catholicism For Dummies," an instruction manual on Catholic belief, I have seen the "5% to Church, 5% to charity" recommended. And it is not made clear that this is merely a suggestion on giving, not a command or official obligation. Fortunately, this book invites people to write in and inform the editors of any mistakes they have made. I believe I might very well do this myself.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014