Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 30, '08, 5:15 am

Religion: Catholic
Default should my priest wear his collar during reconciliation?

he doesn't. he wears what appears to be a black t-shirt, with some kind of light black jacket over it, black slacks, black shoes. should he also be wearing his collar? is it required that he do so?
Old Nov 30, '08, 5:19 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger
Default Re: should my priest wear his collar during reconciliation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmike View Post
he doesn't. he wears what appears to be a black t-shirt, with some kind of light black jacket over it, black slacks, black shoes. should he also be wearing his collar? is it required that he do so?
I know the FSSP priests at the parish I go to are in a cassock, surplice (with lace!!!), and alb (the thing that drapes over the shoulders).

He probably *ought* to be wearing some form of clerical garb, given Confession is a sacrament, and all. Maybe you could ask why he's not "more dressed up"?
Old Nov 30, '08, 5:36 am
Book Club Member

One of my most healing confessions was heard by a priest wearing a sweater and khaki pants. But I had caught him by surprise.

When I go during regularly scheduled hours, my pastor is sitting there with an alb and stole.

I think that minimully, the priest is supposed to wear a stole, but confession is still valid without it.
Old Nov 30, '08, 5:50 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernAnhaenger View Post
I know the FSSP priests at the parish I go to are in a cassock, surplice (with lace!!!), and alb (the thing that drapes over the shoulders).

He probably *ought* to be wearing some form of clerical garb, given Confession is a sacrament, and all. Maybe you could ask why he's not "more dressed up"?
I'm forgetful.

Where it reads "alb" it should read "stole"! ;-)
Old Nov 30, '08, 5:56 am

Religion: RC

Confession is a sacrament that is supposed to ordinarily be done in a church- the priest should be in vestments definitely.

Whether or not he is required to be is really up to the rules of his diocese or order.
Old Nov 30, '08, 6:03 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmike View Post
He should, but what is more important is that he wear the purple stole.
Old Nov 30, '08, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadian View Post
One of my most healing confessions was heard by a priest wearing a sweater and khaki pants. But I had caught him by surprise.

When I go during regularly scheduled hours, my pastor is sitting there with an alb and stole.

I think that minimully, the priest is supposed to wear a stole, but confession is still valid without it.

Last year, I dropped in at a friend of mine's parish. He was just coming back from his day off. I asked him for confession, he grabbed his Purple Stole & threw it right over his U of M hoodie. I sat with him in his office for an hour. I was really agonizing about a situation, and I wanted my friend to be my confessor, because he knows me so well, and what was happening in my life. After a lot of Kleenex, a cleansing absolution and a beautiful penance, on my way out the door, he tossed me a cold can of Pepsi. Said I might be dehydrated.
Old Nov 30, '08, 8:32 am
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

PV, that is a great story. Is this not what the Gospels are all about? (Did Christ get all dressed up?) Hey, I have no problem with stoles, albs, cassocks, & collars, but I love your story.
Old Nov 30, '08, 8:56 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The purple stole is supposed to be worn. The collar is not necessary.
Old Nov 30, '08, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmas85 View Post
The purple stole is supposed to be worn. The collar is not necessary.
Neither one is necessary or required by Canon Law. Many priests take advantage of that fact to never wear a roman collar (not even celebrating Mass with the Bishop in one case), and some don't wear their stole during confessions because "they don't have to."

I surprised a priest once, too. I was at an ordination about an hour or so before it was to begin and saw two priests sitting by a window talking, so I approached them and one of them must have figured it out because he walked up to me and asked what I wanted (but I think he knew). At any rate, off we went into a corner of the church and he heard my confession, without the purple stole (but he was wearing his collar).

At any rate, the priest does not have to wear a collar or stole, but if he's in the confessional to hear confessions, there's no reason he shouldn't.
Old Apr 17, '09, 12:42 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

what we also have to remember is that when a priest celebrates a sacrament (such as reconciliation) - he is acting with the authority that is given to him with the Sacrament of Holy Orders. It is not the stole or collar that gives him this authority, but God through the ministry of the Church; to put such emphasis on stoles or collars and thinking they hold some sort of power or authority is superstition - they are just tradition.

English, male, single, 20.

Currently studying: MPhys Astrophysics with Astronomy and Space Science
Old Apr 17, '09, 8:15 pm

Religion: catholic

If I go to confession to my confessor in a confessional he always wears his stole, but if I catch him at other times and he hears it is a differnt place he doesn't wear it...probably because he doesn't have it with him at the time. Actually I prefer not to go to confession in a confessional. I had a bad expereince with a priest once in a confessional and it makes me too edgy to go to confession in a confessional, even if it is with my regular confessor. He knows about my phobia. But I will go in a confessional if needed, I just don't like to.
Old Apr 18, '09, 7:39 pm
Banned

Clerical collars are NOT ministerial vestments.

Stoles are.
Old Apr 18, '09, 8:23 pm
Forum Elder

I always go to the confessional; so I have no idea what they are wearing. I do know that a stole is kept in each confessional for use by the priest, though. By the way, no priest is required to hear confessions face to face; but the anonymous option--must always be available.
Old Apr 18, '09, 8:56 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic-Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernAnhaenger View Post

My parochial vicar wears his cassock, (lace) surplice and stole whenever he hears confessions. When I first met him it was within the context of Confession. I had some serious issues and, frankly, when I saw him in full regalia, it was scary. But, once I got down to business, he was, in all honesty, the most pastoral confessor I have ever had. However, because we are now friends, I no longer go to him for confession.

Most of the priests down here will vest in alb and stole so I could not tell you what they wear underneath.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments