Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 8, '08, 6:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Holy Day Obligation in the Eastern Rite

My husband and I were both baptized in the Latin Rite but we attend an Eastern Rite Church (my husband has attended since he was a small child). In that church, the Immaculate Conception is celebrated on the 9th instead of the 8th. Is it all right for us to attend the Liturgy tomorrow instead of a Mass today, to fulfill our oblligation?
Old Dec 8, '08, 6:30 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Default Re: Holy Day Obligation in the Eastern Rite

As a Latin Catholic you are bound by the laws of the Latin Catholic Church.

The USCCB has made December 8th, the Immaculate Conception on the Latin Church Calendar, a Holy Day of Obligation.

So technically I believe that you must fulfill that obligation today.
Old Dec 8, '08, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post

The USCCB has made December 8th, the Immaculate Conception on the Latin Church Calendar, a Holy Day of Obligation.

Actually, the USCCB is not a synod so they are not the ones who have declared it to be a Holy Day of Obligation. In the Chaldean Church, we have not had a synod to specify these days, on our caldender its marked "Liturgical day of obersavtion" however.

but for the OP I think you would need to observe the Latin Church calender.
Old Dec 8, '08, 8:07 am

Religion: Byzantine Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldean Rite View Post
Actually, the USCCB is not a synod so they are not the ones who have declared it to be a Holy Day of Obligation. In the Chaldean Church, we have not had a synod to specify these days, on our caldender its marked "Liturgical day of obersavtion" however.

but for the OP I think you would need to observe the Latin Church calender.
You might want to take a look at this Cannon....

http://www.usccb.org/norms/1246.htm
Old Dec 8, '08, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchunky View Post
You might want to take a look at this Cannon....

http://www.usccb.org/norms/1246.htm
thanks

I think the part that stuck out the most was:

2: However, the conference of bishops can abolish certain holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday with prior approval of the Apostolic See.
Old Dec 8, '08, 8:38 am

Send a message via AIM to Dan-Man916

Perhaps this is a wishy-washy way of looking at it, but maybe the spirit of the law should govern here in that the day is a bit less important than taking the time on either day, at some point, to celebrate this solemnity in the divine liturgy.
Old Dec 8, '08, 9:57 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

It is clear from a read of the USCCB decision and promulgation that it established, per canon law, those days of obligation for the latin rite.

So it you are latin rite, you are obligated.
Old Dec 8, '08, 4:22 pm

Religion: Orthodox (ROCOR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post

I am also Latin Rite by baptism, who attends exclusively at a Byzantine Rite Parish and have not yet made an official transfer of rite. I will be attending the Byzantine Rite Service instead of the Latin and my conscience is completely clear.

Mike L.

"Asking for unity in the faith, and for communion in the Holy Spirit, let us commend ourselves and one another, and our whole life to Christ, our God"
Old Dec 8, '08, 5:43 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmlillie View Post
I am also Latin Rite by baptism, who attends exclusively at a Byzantine Rite Parish and have not yet made an official transfer of rite. I will be attending the Byzantine Rite Service instead of the Latin and my conscience is completely clear.

Mike L.
You can fulfill your latin obligations at a liturgy of the day of any rite, even if said liturgy is for a different feast.
Old Dec 31, '08, 6:55 am
Observing Member

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

The Eastern Catholic Church is in full communion with the Vatican. The Pope himself recognizes the calendar of the Eastern Catholic Church regarding holy days and feast days. Therefore, it seems rather pointless to question its legitimacy.
Latin and Eastern Catholics may fulfill their obligations and receive the Eucharist in either right, as in the eyes of the Church itself, there is no division between the two.

cleirigh - I strongly encourage you to make an appointment with your priest and discuss all of your questions with him so that you have clarity and peace.

Christ is Born!
Glorify Him!

Last edited by kathrynm; Dec 31, '08 at 7:11 am.
Old Dec 31, '09, 8:44 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

I know this topic is a year old, but I wanted to say something in response to the last reply.

Of course we would not question the legitimacy of an Eastern Catholic Churches calendar. Of course if you are a member of that particular Church you should observe the holy days that they prescribe. But the issue here is not the legitimacy of the Eastern calendar, but the fact that the inquirer in question was not technically under an Eastern Catholic authority but still technically a Latin Rite Catholic. Even if they "feel" more Byzantine at heart and attend Eastern liturgies every week, unless they make a formal change of rite they are supposed to celebrate the Holy Days prescribed by their current Latin Rite Bishops. They are to be celebrated on the correct day, though they could be fulfilled at any Catholic Church. So if they went on December 8 to a Byzantine Church in the spirit of fulfilling and celebrating the day, even if that Church were celebrating a different day, it would still fulfill the obligation to attend. Though in my opinion, it is best to go somewhere actually officially celebrating the day in question if possible.

I know that this is confusing, but unless the Church formally recognizes you to be an Eastern Catholic you remain under the canon rules of the Latin Rite. After all, you can not be under two Bishops at the same time, neither can you be under none and just pick and choose.

You are free to keep extra specific Eastern traditions, holy days, fasting ideas etc as much as you like (though with help from a pastor or spiritual guide in some cases perhaps). The only issue is not in keeping any of the beautiful Eastern customs, but neglecting the Latin Rite canon laws because of them while still technically under the Latin Rite Bishop. So you kind of have to pay attention somewhat to both if attending a different rite than you are actually a part of. And being a member of an Eastern Church is not the same thing as simply being enrolled in and attending that Church as your home church, but rather actually being recognized canonically as Eastern Rite Catholic.

Last edited by exarctly; Dec 31, '09 at 8:57 am.
Old Dec 31, '09, 9:08 am

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

Quote:
I know that this is confusing, but unless the Church formally recognizes you to be an Eastern Catholic you remain under the canon rules of the Latin Rite.
You'll have to indicate where this specific provision is stated. Every Latin canon laywer I have spoken or corresponded with regarding the transition of Latins to Eastern Catholic parishes is in agreement that a Catholic can attach themselves to the particular traditions of the parish they wish to attend regularly or are discerning joining if of another particular ritual tradition. Also attempting to follow a different set of spiritual obligations while participating in the parish life of a different particular ritual Church can lead to hybridizations or syncretisms which are discouraged by both Rome and the particular Catholic Eastern Churches.

You can't know what you are getting into spiritually unless you actually participate in that particular tradition. Otherwise the discernment will be faulty and uninformed. Every Catholic has the free will to attach themselves and be faithful to any particular ritual tradition without being unnecessarily burdened or shackled by the "law".

Господи Помилуй
Old Dec 31, '09, 9:43 am

Religion: Syro-Maronite (trisat shoubho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diak View Post
You'll have to indicate where this specific provision is stated. Every Latin canon laywer I have spoken or corresponded with regarding the transition of Latins to Eastern Catholic parishes is in agreement that a Catholic can attach themselves to the particular traditions of the parish they wish to attend regularly or are discerning joining if of another particular ritual tradition. Also attempting to follow a different set of spiritual obligations while participating in the parish life of a different particular ritual Church can lead to hybridizations or syncretisms which are discouraged by both Rome and the particular Catholic Eastern Churches.

You can't know what you are getting into spiritually unless you actually participate in that particular tradition. Otherwise the discernment will be faulty and uninformed. Every Catholic has the free will to attach themselves and be faithful to any particular ritual tradition without being unnecessarily burdened or shackled by the "law".
This is essentially the same question that appeared recently in another thread in this forum. My experience as stated there continues to say that your assessment is correct.
Old Dec 31, '09, 11:33 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

IMHO this should be done under the care and direction of either a spiritual director (this would be the ideal) or the pastor.

I would suggest, in obedience, to do as they say.

No need (again IMHO) to consult with a Canon Lawyer or even the bishops (until one is ready to formally change churches).
Old Dec 31, '09, 12:58 pm

I have to agree with those who upheld Canon Law ... if you are Latin Rite, go on the days you are bound to go as a Latin Rite Catholic.

All other issues aside, we are talking about a positive obligation to go do Mass ... unless it is an undue burden, just go! Go on both days, Dec 8th and 9th!

If you can only go one day, what a beautiful thing it would be to choose Dec 8th as a personal sacrifice, out of obedience to the Church's law.

In the long term, why not become canonical members of the Eastern Rite?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism