Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 10, '08, 12:41 pm

Religion: Catholic non-practicing
Default What is the bible translation used in a typical mass?

I recently read info on the website of a gentleman who has an amazing amount of bible verses commited to memory , about how he accomplished the task of memorizing so much . It layed out a pretty cool method , that seemed easy , and like it would have good results . But before I start in on working on it myself , I wanted to find out what bible translation the Catholic Church uses so that I can stick to that . Also does anybody know if that particular translation ( whatever it is ) is able to be accessed via the internet to some extent , I just need to get the exact wording on verses , I'm going to hand write them on index cards , so I don't neccesarily need the actual physical book , and I don't really have any money to spend right now anyways.
plz let me know if you can help guide me in this in any way , thanks

Old Dec 10, '08, 1:20 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is the bible translation used in a typical mass?

In the US its the New American Bible with revised Psalms and New Testament.

Online verses can be found here
Old Dec 10, '08, 1:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker View Post

Which version did we use on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception? The reason why I ask is that the verse, Luke 1:28, mentions "full of grace" and the NAB says "Hail, favored one".

Just curious.................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Dec 10, '08, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimpse Ahead View Post
I recently read info on the website of a gentleman who has an amazing amount of bible verses commited to memory , about how he accomplished the task of memorizing so much . It layed out a pretty cool method , that seemed easy , and like it would have good results . But before I start in on working on it myself , I wanted to find out what bible translation the Catholic Church uses so that I can stick to that . Also does anybody know if that particular translation ( whatever it is ) is able to be accessed via the internet to some extent , I just need to get the exact wording on verses , I'm going to hand write them on index cards , so I don't neccesarily need the actual physical book , and I don't really have any money to spend right now anyways.
That is something to be admired! I tried to do that and memorized the first 5 chapters of the book of Hebrews, all of James, and the first 4 chapters of Revelation, plus various passages through the Bible in Greek and Latin, but when I don't brush up on it occasionally I get rusty. My brain is not wired that way to memorize large portions word for word and to maintain it perfectly. But if you can do it then I recommend it because I would if I could. Being able to do that is a gift from God!
Old Dec 10, '08, 2:02 pm

Quote:
I am in a bit of a quandry and hopefully I will not impose. But, why would a non-practicing Catholic (as noted in your profile) want to memorize the Bible used at Mass when you don't go? I am making vast assumptions here so please forgive me if I am wrong..............And , here I go again, why would you put so much effort to memorize the Word of God and neglect the Mass where it is lived?? Again, if a bop on my head is deserved, feel free.................................... ......teachccd
Old Dec 10, '08, 2:05 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Unhappy Re: What is the bible translation used in a typical mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
Which version did we use on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception? The reason why I ask is that the verse, Luke 1:28, mentions "full of grace" and the NAB says "Hail, favored one".

My understanding is that in the US a lightly edited version of the NAB is used for the lectionary. That is one of the edits. I do not believe it is otherwise available as a typical bible.

tee
Old Dec 10, '08, 2:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker View Post

It is often referred to as the RNAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post

Next year the revision of The RNAB will read "Full of Grace" I assume at the feast of the Immaculate Conception probably uses the verse from the Douay-Rheims????
Old Dec 10, '08, 2:38 pm

Copland 3 ,
" That is something to be admired! I tried to do that ... My brain is not wired that way to memorize large portions word for word and to maintain it perfectly"
--- I'm not that good either , Bro ! ... what I'm going to shoot for is more like what they said on the site I was talking about ....
"He suggests choosing verses by subject or doctrine, not by chapter. At one time, he tried memorizing by chapter, but found himself less able to use the verses quickly. He would lose valuable time working through a number of verses to get to the one he needed. Memorizing by subject or doctrine is more liable to bring verses to mind when a given subject is raised."

to Teachccd ,
I appreciate what you're saying , on one hand - I guess I should think about up-dating my profile slightly , as I have been to several masses , gone to confession , and joined up with this group of guys , dads , who meet at the church every saturday morning ( called St. Joseph's Covenant Keepers) . But that's not to say I'm full on Catholic yet , like I probably should be . What you're saying is hitting home alittle bit , cuz it's true , good points. Could you give more detail by what you mean when you say the Word of God is " lived " in the Mass ?

Old Dec 10, '08, 2:45 pm

You are assuming that there is one version of the Bible that is preeminent in the Church. Such is not the case. A number of different translations, each with its own strengths and weaknesses, are used in the Mass (in English) in various countries. There is no one version above all others.

You should not memorize the words of the Bible, but instead study and learn its meaning. This is more difficult than memorization.
Old Dec 10, '08, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
You should not memorize the words of the Bible, but instead study and learn its meaning. This is more difficult than memorization.
Old Dec 10, '08, 3:19 pm

Quote:
"He suggests choosing verses by subject or doctrine, not by chapter. At one time, he tried memorizing by chapter, but found himself less able to use the verses quickly. He would lose valuable time working through a number of verses to get to the one he needed. Memorizing by subject or doctrine is more liable to bring verses to mind when a given subject is raised."
That is real good, I had the same experience with a hindering on quickness.
Old Dec 10, '08, 3:25 pm

Quote:
to Teachccd ,
I appreciate what you're saying , on one hand - I guess I should think about up-dating my profile slightly , as I have been to several masses , gone to confession , and joined up with this group of guys , dads , who meet at the church every saturday morning ( called St. Joseph's Covenant Keepers) . But that's not to say I'm full on Catholic yet , like I probably should be . What you're saying is hitting home alittle bit , cuz it's true , good points. Could you give more detail by what you mean when you say the Word of God is " lived " in the Mass ?

Again, I hope that I did not offend you with my inquiry. It was merely my need to connect the dots. Thank you.

The Mass is the re-presentation of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on Calvary. We are actually present at the Last Supper which equates to being at the foot of the Cross. Most of what is said and done at Mass is Scriptural and everything worships the Father, through the Son, in the Spirit. There are many books on the Mass. Once one knows enough and can reflect on what really takes place at Mass one will never be the same again............................peace, teachccd
Old Dec 10, '08, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinatorstark View Post
It is often referred to as the RNAB.

Next year the revision of The RNAB will read "Full of Grace" I assume at the feast of the Immaculate Conception probably uses the verse from the Douay-Rheims????
Thank you.........
Old Dec 10, '08, 4:35 pm

I don't really know how to do the whole - qoute somebody - thing yet , but ..
Ron Conte , thanks for the info , I kind of thought that might be the case ( that there is not one absolute standard ) , also I know why you say to read the whole thing , and I have and do , I just think it would be a good , extra thing , to know some by heart too .

Copland 3 , just let me know if you want me to post a link to the site I was telling you about , it gives a detailed breakdown of the method and has alot of examples , it's kind of interesting . I don't know if I endorse the individual who used this technique so successfully though (he's alittle on the radical side) , but he is living proof that it works.

teachccd , I've never really heard the Mass explained like that , sounds like something I could benefit from learning more about though , for sure , is there a book in particular that you would recommend , that would help a person like myself come to see the magnificance that you are previliged to be experiencing , much more vividly than I ?

Old Dec 10, '08, 5:32 pm

Quote:
teachccd , I've never really heard the Mass explained like that , sounds like something I could benefit from learning more about though , for sure , is there a book in particular that you would recommend , that would help a person like myself come to see the magnificance that you are previliged to be experiencing , much more vividly than I ?
Well, to be sure, my experience is compiled from numerous books, cds, conferences, theology classes and other resources. I do talks on the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist and on the Mass. It is my passion and I love to share whatever I know. A book that I would recommend for starters is entitled, "Your One-Stop Guide to The Mass" by Fr. Dale Fushek and Bill Dodds.This book does not have an Imprimatur or Nahil Obstat but it is an excellent book that parallels those that do. There are numerous other books that I can recommend as well.

The Mass is the greatest gift given to humanity and those who know this treasure can never go elsewhere since the Mass is truly where heaven meets earth. The Eucharist is Jesus Himself and I could go on forever. Feel free to PM me if you wish. I can never get tired of talking about the beauty of what Christ gave us in the gift of Himself....................Peace.......t eachccd

P.S. "Living the Mass How one hour a week can change your life" by Fr. Dominic Grassi and Joe Paprocki
This book is a little more involved but has great insights to the Mass......................

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture