Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 12, '08, 8:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default RCIA Candidate dismissal at Mass

Last few years in our RCIA program, Catechumens were dismissed after the homily to discuss the readings. Candidates stayed at Mass with their sponsors.

This year, we have a new Pastor who has made many changes. He is now dismissing both the candidates and catechumans after the homily.

Just wondering, is this the norm?
Old Dec 12, '08, 9:34 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: RCIA Candidate dismissal at Mass

no it is not the norm and is not called for in the rites, but I am not the pastor, I am not in charge at that parish, and I don't know the logistics of their program.
Old Dec 12, '08, 10:51 am

From others here I have gathered that it is only Catechumens be dismissed from Mass, but that Candidates can join their fellow RCIA members. My wife, for instance, is a Candidate, but she wishes to be dismissed, as although she was validly baptized in another Christian faith, she has had no catechises in any faith. That, and, since there seems to be one Catechumen and one Candidate in our parish this year, she would rather join the Catechumen.

Vivat Jesus!
Old Dec 12, '08, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
.... but I am not the pastor, I am not in charge at that parish, and I don't know the logistics of their program.
If I didn't know better, I'd guess you were either a politician or an attorney.

But I know better. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, '08, 12:59 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert

Canidates are dismissed after the homily because there is no need for them to go through the Liturgy of the Eucharist since they can not receive the Eucharist until they finish the RCIA program. Catechumen(s) is dismissed to help guide the discussion.

Davis
RCIA Class 98
Couples For Christ - USA
Old Dec 12, '08, 1:20 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Seeker View Post
Last few years in our RCIA program, Catechumens were dismissed after the homily to discuss the readings. Candidates stayed at Mass with their sponsors.

This year, we have a new Pastor who has made many changes. He is now dismissing both the candidates and catechumans after the homily.

Just wondering, is this the norm?
No, it's not correct. Candidates are not to be dismissed, there is no dissmissal in the Rite for them either. If you are a Candidate simply do not get up from your seat after the homily. If anyone asks later simply tell them you are a Baptized Christian, and because of that fact have a right to remain for the whole Mass.
Old Dec 12, '08, 1:21 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgid View Post
From others here I have gathered that it is only Catechumens be dismissed from Mass, but that Candidates can join their fellow RCIA members. My wife, for instance, is a Candidate, but she wishes to be dismissed, as although she was validly baptized in another Christian faith, she has had no catechises in any faith. That, and, since there seems to be one Catechumen and one Candidate in our parish this year, she would rather join the Catechumen.
And that can be her choice and should be her choice to make.
Old Dec 12, '08, 1:24 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray View Post
Canidates are dismissed after the homily because there is no need for them to go through the Liturgy of the Eucharist since they can not receive the Eucharist until they finish the RCIA program. Catechumen(s) is dismissed to help guide the discussion.
Candidates are not dismissed because the Catholic Church accepts and respects the validity of their Baptism, and recognizes them as fellow Christians.
Old Dec 12, '08, 1:43 pm

Thank you for your replies Br. Rich. I knew it was different than the last few years, but not aware it may be incorrect.

Is there any document you can point me at discussing this which I can share with my Pastor and Adult Ed Director?

I cringe at the thought we are in conflict with any published norms or rubrics, particularly with our RCIA candidates/catechumens .
Old Dec 12, '08, 3:13 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
If I didn't know better, I'd guess you were either a politician or an attorney.

But I know better. Thanks.
or engaged in parish work (good training for the diplomatic corps).

in some parishes the candidates prefer to join the catechumens for breaking open the word, and then attend another Mass. we don't do the dismissal at all because I just can't work out the logistics with two classes, and still be able to attend Mass on Sunday myself.
Old Dec 12, '08, 3:55 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you for your replies Br. Rich. I knew it was different than the last few years, but not aware it may be incorrect.

Is there any document you can point me at discussing this which I can share with my Pastor and Adult Ed Director?

I cringe at the thought we are in conflict with any published norms or rubrics, particularly with our RCIA candidates/catechumens .
The only thing I can point you to is the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, it does not have a dismissal for Candidates in it, only one for Catechumens. Also #83-2 makes no mention of Candidates, only Catechumens,

The Rite of Acceptance concludes with a dismissal #67, makes no mention of Candidates, only Catechumens.

The Rite of Welcome concludes with a prayer over the Candidates, but no dismissal of them. Only a dismissal of the entire assembly or the Liturgy of the Eucharist following the Rite.
Old Dec 12, '08, 4:16 pm

Thanks for your help!!
Old Dec 12, '08, 11:23 pm

I attend the RCIA class then go to Mass and leave at the end when everyone else is dismissed.

—John Paul II

Old Dec 12, '08, 11:54 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Been thinking about this all day, off and on.

Remember, one is joined to the church by Baptism; one who is baptized IS a member of the church. (Can 204) Even one not in full communion is still part of the church if they have been baptized. Those who are united to the visible part of the church are obligated further. (Can. 205)

Chatecumens are not baptized; even as they attend, they are not part of the church, yet, but are joined to the church. (Can. 206)

Can. 204 §1. The Christian faithful are those who, inasmuch as they have been incorporated in Christ through baptism, have been constituted as the people of God. For this reason, made sharers in their own way in Christ’s priestly, prophetic, and royal function, they are called to exercise the mission which God has entrusted to the Church to fulfill in the world, in accord with the condition proper to each.

§2. This Church, constituted and organized in this world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church governed by the successor of Peter and the bishops in communion with him.

Can. 205 Those baptized are fully in the communion of the Catholic Church on this earth who are joined with Christ in its visible structure by the bonds of the profession of faith, the sacraments, and ecclesiastical governance.

Can. 206 §1. Catechumens, that is, those who ask by explicit choice under the influence of the Holy Spirit to be incorporated into the Church, are joined to it in a special way. By this same desire, just as by the life of faith, hope, and charity which they lead, they are united with the Church which already cherishes them as its own.

§2. The Church has a special care for catechumens; while it invites them to lead a life of the gospel and introduces them to the celebration of sacred rites, it already grants them various prerogatives which are proper to Christians.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__PT.HTM
Old Dec 13, '08, 2:09 am

From the RCIA Leader's Manual, Association for Catechumenal Ministry:

After the Rite of Acceptance is celebrated (for the unbaptized):

Quote:
From this point on, when catechumens are present at Mass, they are kindly dismissed after the homily. They depart but remain together and, with the help of one or more members of the RCIA team "share their joy and spiritual expeirences" (RCIA 67A). The time following dismissal is to be used to "reflect more deeply on the Word of God" just proclaimed (RCIA 67B). The Church feeds them richly on the word until they can come to the Table of the Eucharist, and makes available to them grace mediated through sacramentals to deepen conversion. This is an important part of the catechumens' spiritual growth.......For this reason, the Church prefers that the catechumens be dismissed, rather than stay for teh Liturgy of the Eucharist, unless it is impractical or pastorally unwise (see RCIA 67C, 75.3).
After the Rite of Welcoming is celebrated (for the baptized):

Quote:
Candidates are not mentioned in the dismissal formularies. Once the Rite of Welcoming has been celebrated, they have been "formally welcomed into the life of the community [and now begin] regularly attending Sunday Eucharist" (RCIA 413). It is appropriate to invite them to participate with catechumens in the dismissal from Sunday Mass and Reflection on the Word.....because they, like the catechumens, cannot yet partake of the Eucharist. However, they must have already participated in, or will later that day, a Sunday Mass or Saturday Vigil Mass.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments