Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 18, '08, 10:35 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default big difference between Catholics and Protestants

The Big difference I see between Catholic's and Protestants are the sacraments/

Holy Orders, This is what Jesus gave to the Apostles when they received the Power of the Holy Spirit. IT has never ended Protestants disagree with this.

Marriage, God gave Priests the power to join 2 people together and become one. It is very hard to get an annulment in the Church. Protestants disagree with this, they say it all about money, that is not true.

communion . Jesus said this is my Body this is my blood, Protestants disagree with this, they say it is just a symbol. Catholic's believe what Jesus said it is the living Christ.

Penance, Catholics believe that the Priest has the power to forgive sins, because Jesus said so. Protestants say this is not true.

Anointing of the sick. Catholics believe that Priests have the power to cure. Protestants said no.

Confirmation is a spititual seal after communion that seals your faith with God. kind of the personal relationship with God that we are confirming, which we are told we do not have.

Baptism Of course what we give our Children at birth. The Catholic view is give that soul to God as soon as possible. Again alot of protestants disagree with.

Now I am not saying all protestants feel this way, but from the last two years on this site, Most.

But that is some of the biggest difference's I have seen. And of course the Blessed Mother.

How do other's feel? Protestant and Catholic?
Old Dec 18, '08, 11:23 am

Religion: LDS
Default Re: big difference between Catholics and Protestants

You left out the whole grace vs. works argument, which is a HUGE issue in my view.
Old Dec 18, '08, 11:39 am

Religion: Christian,in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinnie View Post
Now I am not saying all protestants feel this way, but from the last two years on this site, Most.

I used to be a ~protestant and I'd say those differences are mostly the way I felt. Oh and one additional difference...the whole pope 'thing'. The protestant would say there is no successor to Peter.
Old Dec 18, '08, 12:02 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
The Big difference I see between Catholic's and Protestants are the sacraments.
Yup.

Protestants are "puritans", and want their "spirituality" purified into only the absolutely minimal "essentials", which amounts (ultimately) to "me and Jesus alone".

The Sacramental People of God (Catholics and other "sacramentalists") want as much of a banquet as possible that is true.

Since the protestants don't know how to determine what is true, they are (in many ways) quite wise in being minimalistic, and sticking with the bare essentials.

(( Now, they never actually DO stick to the absolutely bare essentials, and impose various incorrect traditions, which make them rather "dangerous" to those who are attracted to them, of course. ))

But since we Catholics DO know how to determine what is true (via the Magisterium) we have the wonderful freedom to completely and fully enjoy the wonderous bounty of our sacraments and sacramentals, rituals, diversity and florid human-ness and humanity.

"Rock and Gospel Concerts" are nowhere NEAR a substitute for the real show, the Mass.

Old Dec 18, '08, 12:35 pm
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortdog View Post
You left out the whole grace vs. works argument, which is a HUGE issue in my view.
There is no issue between Grace and the Catholic understanding of salvation. The only issue is your own understanding of it.

It is tough to pin point the biggest difference between Protestantism and Catholicism because Protestantism covers so many denominations. You could say the Sacraments but, correct me if I am wrong, don't Lutherans and Anglicans have Sacraments (or believe they have some of them)?

I think the biggest difference centers on authority. Bible alone vs. Bible and Tradition.

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Dec 18, '08, 2:34 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
=rinnie;4564580]The Big difference I see between Catholic's and Protestants are the sacraments/
While I won't speak for other protestants, Lutherans define a sacrament as instituted by Christ, is a mean of grace, and contains a spiritual and physical element. Lutherans number Baptism and the Eucharist as sacraments because they meet these criteria. Marriage, confirmation, orders, confession, etc, lack a physical element, but historically, the numbering of sacraments is not a particularly big deal to Lutherans, as these are extremely important rites to us. If you choose to call them sacraments, Lutherans generally will not quarrel about it.

Quote:
Holy Orders, This is what Jesus gave to the Apostles when they received the Power of the Holy Spirit. IT has never ended Protestants disagree with this.
I'm not sure what we disagree with. That Christ breathed on the apostles, "receive the Holy Spirit", etc? Or that apostolic succession never ended?

Quote:
Marriage, God gave Priests the power to join 2 people together and become one. It is very hard to get an annulment in the Church. Protestants disagree with this, they say it all about money, that is not true.
We certainly believe in Holy Matrimony.

Quote:
communion . Jesus said this is my Body this is my blood, Protestants disagree with this, they say it is just a symbol. Catholic's believe what Jesus said it is the living Christ.
Augsburg Confession
Quote:
Article X: Of the Lord's Supper.
1] Of the Supper of the Lord they teach that the Body and Blood of Christ are truly present, and are distributed 2] to those who eat the Supper of the Lord; and they reject those that teach otherwise.
Quote:
Penance, Catholics believe that the Priest has the power to forgive sins, because Jesus said so. Protestants say this is not true.
Lutherans believe that a pastor/confessor acts in the place of Christ to absolve sins that are sincerely confessed.

Quote:
Anointing of the sick. Catholics believe that Priests have the power to cure. Protestants said no.
Well, actually, the Holy Spirit has the power to cure.

Quote:
Confirmation is a spititual seal after communion that seals your faith with God. kind of the personal relationship with God that we are confirming, which we are told we do not have.
Told by whom? This sounds like a reasonable approach to confirmation.

Quote:
Baptism Of course what we give our Children at birth. The Catholic view is give that soul to God as soon as possible. Again alot of protestants disagree with.
Augsburg Confession
Quote:
Article IX: Of Baptism.

1] Of Baptism they teach that it is necessary 2] to salvation, and that through Baptism is offered the grace of God, and that children are to be baptized who, being offered to God through Baptism are received into God's grace.

3] They condemn the Anabaptists, who reject the baptism of children, and say that children are saved without Baptism.
Quote:
Not convinced this is even so.

Quote:
And of course the Blessed Mother.
Now here you'll find some differences, though not many with me.

As others have mentioned, the primacy of the pope is an important difference, as well as our views on the role of works.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Dec 18, '08, 2:43 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Quote:

The big difference between Protestant and Catholic moral teaching should be on the list.
Old Dec 18, '08, 2:48 pm

Religion: Lutheran LCMS

First, if you want to get after protestants for bashing the Catholic Church without understanding it.....please don't do it to us in return. Not all protestant denominations are the same and the indivdual beliefs vary widely. Lumping us all together is ignorant and extremely annoying.

I can't speak for other denoms, but here is a Lutheran take on your points.

Quote:
Go figure...our pastors go through ordination and laying on of hands too. The solidified concept of "Holy Orders" didn't really come into play until a couple hundred years after Christ died.

Quote:
I'm not even sure what you are saying here. Protestant's only get married for money....or we only allow divorce for money. Marriage in the Catholic Church is a sacrament performed by the man and the woman getting married, the priest is there to bless and confirm it.....he doesn't have the power to "join".

Quote:
Lutherans, Anglicans, and several other protestants believe in the real presence as well.

Quote:
Actually, or service includes confession and absolution as well.

Quote:
Anointing of the sick. Catholics believe that Priests have the power to cure. Protestants said no..
Catholic Priest don't have the power to heal.....Annointing of the sick is a visual sign of the prayers to God for healing. Lutheran's don't use oil, but we pray for God's healing for our sick as well.

Quote:
Many Protestant Churchs also have a confirmation rite as well. I know Lutherans do as I went through it. White robe and all.

Quote:
"Alot" of Protestants actually believe in infant baptism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsAndDogs View Post
Yup.
Protestants are "puritans", and want their "spirituality" purified into only the absolutely minimal "essentials", which amounts (ultimately) to "me and Jesus alone".

The Sacramental People of God (Catholics and other "sacramentalists") want as much of a banquet as possible that is true.

Since the protestants don't know how to determine what is true, they are (in many ways) quite wise in being minimalistic, and sticking with the bare essentials.

(( Now, they never actually DO stick to the absolutely bare essentials, and impose various incorrect traditions, which make them rather "dangerous" to those who are attracted to them, of course. ))

But since we Catholics DO know how to determine what is true (via the Magisterium) we have the wonderful freedom to completely and fully enjoy the wonderous bounty of our sacraments and sacramentals, rituals, diversity and florid human-ness and humanity.

"Rock and Gospel Concerts" are nowhere NEAR a substitute for the real show, the Mass.

Again, please actually do some research before posting....Puritians are a demonimation, not a different word for protestants. Many protestants have rich and strong traditions based on the same fundementals that the Catholic Church is based on. We are not silly little kids running around listening to rock music and chanting "Jesus and Me". Please don't insult us and we won't insult you. The tone and charges you are making are just like the people who stand around and call Catholics idol worshipers. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic View Post
It is tough to pin point the biggest difference between Protestantism and Catholicism because Protestantism covers so many denominations. You could say the Sacraments but, correct me if I am wrong, don't Lutherans and Anglicans have Sacraments (or believe they have some of them)?

I think the biggest difference centers on authority. Bible alone vs. Bible and Tradition.

God bless
Thank you for actually bringing sense to this argument.
Old Dec 18, '08, 3:09 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

The big difference between Protestant and Catholic moral teaching should be on the list.
Old Dec 18, '08, 3:14 pm
Forum Elder

The essential difference between Protestantism and Catholicism is the concept of authority.

Catholics believe that Jesus gave authority to the Church in a heirarchy of clergy who are successors to the Apostles.

Protestants believe that Jesus gave authority to all believers equally, to be redistributed among the congregation or group as each group sees fit - or not, as in the case of individualists who see themselves as a Church of one, with all of the authority of any group that calls itself a Church.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Dec 18, '08, 3:50 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
First, if you want to get after protestants for bashing the Catholic Church without understanding it.....please don't do it to us in return. Not all protestant denominations are the same and the indivdual beliefs vary widely. Lumping us all together is ignorant and extremely annoying.

I can't speak for other denoms, but here is a Lutheran take on your points.

Go figure...our pastors go through ordination and laying on of hands too. The solidified concept of "Holy Orders" didn't really come into play until a couple hundred years after Christ died.

I'm not even sure what you are saying here. Protestant's only get married for money....or we only allow divorce for money. Marriage in the Catholic Church is a sacrament performed by the man and the woman getting married, the priest is there to bless and confirm it.....he doesn't have the power to "join".

Lutherans, Anglicans, and several other protestants believe in the real presence as well.

Actually, or service includes confession and absolution as well.

Catholic Priest don't have the power to heal.....Annointing of the sick is a visual sign of the prayers to God for healing. Lutheran's don't use oil, but we pray for God's healing for our sick as well.

Many Protestant Churchs also have a confirmation rite as well. I know Lutherans do as I went through it. White robe and all.

"Alot" of Protestants actually believe in infant baptism.

Again, please actually do some research before posting....Puritians are a demonimation, not a different word for protestants. Many protestants have rich and strong traditions based on the same fundementals that the Catholic Church is based on. We are not silly little kids running around listening to rock music and chanting "Jesus and Me". Please don't insult us and we won't insult you. The tone and charges you are making are just like the people who stand around and call Catholics idol worshipers. Seriously.

Thank you for actually bringing sense to this argument.

You forgot to mention that you are missing some books on your Bilble. And the Scripture alone (Sola scriptura) is the formal principle of the faith, the final authority for all matters of faith and doctrine.
Old Dec 18, '08, 4:08 pm

Religion: Protestant

There are times I wonder why I come here. This thread reminds me that the amount of misinformation that Catholics, the largest group of Christians in the world, have about Protestants is still a very serious problem. We have seen some extreme generalizations and some outright inaccuracies by the Catholics posting on this thread. I believe most of these have been addressed although I am not sure they will be read
Old Dec 18, '08, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
There are times I wonder why I come here. This thread reminds me that the amount of misinformation that Catholics, the largest group of Christians in the world, have about Protestants is still a very serious problem. We have seen some extreme generalizations and some outright inaccuracies by the Catholics posting on this thread. I believe most of these have been addressed although I am not sure they will be read
Speaking of extreme generalizations...
Old Dec 18, '08, 4:56 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVSantos View Post
You forgot to mention that you are missing some books on your Bilble. And the Scripture alone (Sola scriptura) is the formal principle of the faith, the final authority for all matters of faith and doctrine.
Luther's translation has them all, except the ones the Orthodox say the Catholic Church is missing.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Dec 18, '08, 5:02 pm

Religion: Protestant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Speaking of extreme generalizations...
I don't think so. If you will read the last three pages of posts, especially Jimmy's and some of the responses to it, and then this thread. I believe there is a great deal of misinformation. I do not think it is extreme at all based upon what I read here.
Because I do not hear Catholics IRL share their experiences and conceptions about Protestants, perhaps my view is skewed. But read this thread. It is horrible. That is being nice
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions