Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 27, '04, 1:19 pm
Inactive Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Lord's Day celebration

I am in discussion with a Catholic charismatic group, with me questioning their Lord's Day celebration wherein they celebrate by eating bread w/ cheese and drinking wine/grape juice.

For justification they quoted Nehemiah 8:9-10.

Another is the writing of Ignatius of Antioch ( To the Magnesians, 9)
I was quoted the ff:

The celebration of the resurrection: Ignatius of Antioch, writing within twenty years of the death of the apostle John, said, "Let every friend of Christ keep the Lord's Day as a festival, the resurrection day, the queen and chief of all days of the week and on which our life sprang up again and victory over death was obtained in Christ" (To the Magnesians, 9).

I looked this up in Juergens Faith of Early Fathers vol.1, paragraph 45, To the Magnesians, I quote:

"If, then, those who walked in ancient customs came to a new hope, no longer sabbathing but living by the Lord on which we came to life through Him and through His death,-which some deny,-through which mystery we received faith, through which also we suffer in order to be found to be disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Teacher:-"

Would you know why the difference?

Although they say that the Lord's Day celebration, according to them, does not replace the Eucharist nor Mass, is it not an affront to the Eucharist if they are quoting some of the same Biblical source of our Eucharistic Mass.

Much thanks for your reply/
Virgil
Old Dec 27, '04, 1:23 pm
Banned

Default Re: Lord's Day celebration

do you fast on Christmas day, or do you partake in a celebratorial meal?
Old Dec 27, '04, 2:48 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert

Dear Virgil,

Have you ever gone to a Lord's Day Celebration? If you had, you would be able to answer your own question. But here are some fact about the celebration for you.
  1. The Lord's Day Celebration is s Christian version of the Jewish Shabbat. It is always performed on Saturday at sunset. The name “Shabbat” means “rest.”
  2. A candle is lit. Shabbat brings light into your universe, and you symbolize this by lighting candles.
  3. A bible verse is read, something like John 1:1 - 5. Acknowledging Jesus is the Light of the World.
  4. Wine/Juice is passed around to remind us of the bountiful blessing the Lord has given us from the earth and that all blessing flow from him.
  5. Bread (Challah) is passed around. This is to signify that, like the one bread is made up of many grains of wheat, our community is made up of many different members. Then all present say the blessing: "Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has ...." {thank God for his blessings}
  6. Kids are prayed over by the parents for strength and wisdom.
  7. The leader prays over the all present the prayer that God instructed Aaron to pray. "May God bless you and keep you. May God shine his light upon you and be gracious to you. May God show his contenance to you and give you peace."
  8. Fellowship, dinner and FUN.
This is a real beautiful ceremony and is a lot of fun. This is definitely NOT an affront to the Eucharist. This is a celebration for all the Gifts the Lord has given us. If you get the chance, please go and check it out yourself.

Quote:
By the way, the "Catholic charismatic group" you mentioned is a Vatican Approved Family ministry and this ceremony has been approved as well. The Lord's Day is part of the Culture of the Couples for Christ. For more information, PM me or check out www.couplesforchrist.us.

Davis
RCIA Class 98
Couples For Christ - USA

Last edited by dhgray; Dec 27, '04 at 3:02 pm.
Old Dec 27, '04, 3:02 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic Christian, Both Roman and Ruthenian Churches
Arrow Re: Lord's Day celebration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgray
Dear Virgil,

Have you ever gone to a Lord's Day Celebration? If you had, you would be able to answer your own question. But here are some fact about the celebration for you.

Thee Lord's Day Celebration is s Christian version of the Jewish Shabbat. It is always performed on Saturday at sunset. The name “Shabbat” means “rest.”
  1. A candle is lit. Shabbat brings light into your universe, and you symbolize this by lighting candles.
  2. A bible verse is read, something like John 1:1 - 5. Acknowledging Jesus is the Light of the World.
  3. Wine/Juice is passed around to remind us of the bountiful blessing the Lord has given us from the earth and that all blessing flow from him.
  4. Bread (Challah) is passed around. This is to signify that, like the one bread is made up of many grains of wheat, our community is made up of many different members. Then all present say the blessing: "Blessed are you, Lord our God, King of the universe, who has ...." {thank God for his blessings}
  5. Kids are prayed over by the parents for strength and wisdom.
  6. The leader prays over the all present the prayer that God instructed Aaron to pray. "May God bless you and keep you. May God light His mien for you and be gracious to you. May God lift His mien to you and give you peace."
  7. Fellowship, dinner and FUN.
This is a real beautiful ceremony and is a lot of fun. This is definitely NOT an affront to the Eucharist. This is a celebration for all the Gifts the Lord has given us. If you get the chance, please go and check it out yourself.
Sounds extremely new-agey to me. Maybe something to fill the void left by abusive Masses in some cases?

I wonder how people have the chutzpah to compare such an event to the Shabbat?
Old Dec 27, '04, 4:37 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscum
Sounds extremely new-agey to me. Maybe something to fill the void left by abusive Masses in some cases?

Don't critize what you don't know. To learn more, check out the Couples for Christ in your area.

Davis
RCIA Class 98
Couples For Christ - USA
Old Dec 27, '04, 6:19 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscum

Nah, I've been to some of these. It's pretty Christian actually, no references to any strange gods or entities and what-have-you's. You can think of it as dinner with a really long "grace before and after meals".

All we need to remember is that the "Lord's Day celebration" is still classified as private prayer, and as such, for as long as there is nothing contrary to faith and morals, it is permitted. Non-liturgical prayer is not regulated.

So if it doesn't suit you, that's fine. You don't have to attend. And the group I attended made it really clear that this is nothing even resembling the Eucharist, but more of a family celebration.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments