Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 31, '08, 3:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Proper Dress and Behavior for Catholic Women

Since we as Catholics strive to do our best to please the Lord, I thought most of us women would be very intrested in reading these articles. I know it opened my eyes a lot.

Of course we can choose, (because of Free Will) to do it or not.

Proper Dress and Behavior for Catholic Women
[ home | headcovering | modesty | dress | priesthood | roles | military ]

CATHOLIC MORAL DRESS CODE

http://www.catholicplanet.com/women/dress.htm

CATHOLIC APOLOGETICS
http://www.geocities.com/athens/rhodes/3543/dress.htm

May God Bless You,
Adelore
Old Dec 31, '08, 3:46 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Default Re: Proper Dress and Behavior for Catholic Women

I'm sorry but these articles sound like the pentecostal and other extreme protestant religions than what I've ever heard taught in the Catholic Church, even by those who were around a LONG time ago. Also, where did you find these sites? I've never heard of them and never seen them on any other Catholic site, including these forums. Not meaning to offend, but these sites seem to be picking and choosing what verses to apply to THEIR interpretation of what they should say, which is also not what Jesus intended for us to do with Sacred Scripture. IMHO, all you have to do is take the "Catholic" off of the site and it would be another extreme literalist protestant site, so I would be very leery of them.

To put this in there, I do think women should dress modestly and that we should not be priests, deacons, etc., but to say that an immodest skirt or dress is more offending to God than a woman wearing pants is? I just don't buy that....what is the scriptural or traditional basis for such a comment? There is a basis for the modest dress but not for something like that I don't believe. I would check out my sources if I were you before I believe a site like that over what the Church says in the Catechism and other teachings.
Old Dec 31, '08, 3:53 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

If I may provide a sort of 'Rebuttal' Link:

http://www.actseighteen.com/articles/women-pants.htm

Main Points:

1. It's said that the most genuine translation of that scripture (Deuteronomy) pertains more to the armaments/weapons of a man, not his actual clothing.

2. In Biblical times, clothing was far more indistinct - men and women alike wore 'dresses.' In fact, it wasn't until much, much later that pants even came into being. God didn't require a distinction in clothing then, why would he demand it now?

3. In Deuteronomy, God is VERY specific about other things. Articles of clothing should not be made with certain fabrics, etc. Wouldn't you think he would be far more specific on something like this?

4. Even though they didn't explicitly mention it in the article I'm giving, where does such a law leave Scottish Men, of whom wear Kilts (which is, at its core, a skirt)?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get what you're driving at here and I would absolutely never be angry that a woman would subscribe to the school of thought you're pointing out. It's just that in my limited understanding of God's ways, I sincerely believe he is more concerned with the retention of femininity in women and masculinity in men... which one can easily retain - even in pants.

What do you think?

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Nunquam draco sit mihi dux!
Vade retro Satana! Nunquam suade mihi vana!
Sunt mala quae libas. Ipse venena bibas!

Last edited by Thunderbird; Dec 31, '08 at 3:57 pm. Reason: Can't Count..... -.-
Old Dec 31, '08, 3:53 pm

"A woman wearing modest pants still offends God"

I would like to know if God Himself informed the writer of this preference.

And Padre Pio may be a saint, but as a priest somewhere wrote (I forget where), "If I treated my parishioners as Padre Pio treated some of his, I would have no end of trouble with the bishop."

In my opinion, I think this stuff, and the rest on that website, sounds more appropriate to a bunch of evangelical pentecostal than Catholics. Why would anyone even waste their time with it?
Old Dec 31, '08, 3:54 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

Here's a little quote from that catholicplanet.com site:

<<Hillary Clinton will be U.S. President, under God's Providence, but for the sake of the unborn, not because God wants women to lead men. She will be President by the time of the Warning in April of 2009, and she will change her mind about abortion and become pro-life.>>

'Nuff said?
Old Dec 31, '08, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post

<<Hillary Clinton will be U.S. President, under God's Providence, but for the sake of the unborn, not because God wants women to lead men. She will be President by the time of the Warning in April of 2009, and she will change her mind about abortion and become pro-life.>>

'Nuff said?
In the words of a poster in another section of this forum,
great oogley moogley!

Christo omnino nihil praeponere.
Old Dec 31, '08, 4:26 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post

'Nuff said?
Ooohh, missed that one! Good catch!

BTW, what's the "Warning in April of 2009"?
Old Dec 31, '08, 4:42 pm

[quote=adelore;4610887]Since we as Catholics strive to do our best to please the Lord, I thought most of us women would be very intrested in reading these articles. I know it opened my eyes a lot.

http://www.catholicplanet.com/women/index.htm [quote]

Catholicplanet is not a reliable source of Catholicism, the author freely mixes his opinons with Church teaching. See the current commentary posted at Catholicculture.org. on his topic.

cmom
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.

Last edited by cmom; Dec 31, '08 at 4:45 pm. Reason: bad spelling :(
Old Dec 31, '08, 4:48 pm

Send a message via Skype™ to LeroyCRHP

My wife has been told the dress requirements are similar to this at the Latin Mass.
Old Dec 31, '08, 4:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Orthodox Inquirer

There's also the cultural issue. A woman in a tribal culture could go around topless and in a short skirt and still be as considered modest.

Saint Gregory the Great, 590-604 AD
Old Dec 31, '08, 5:08 pm

Done half in jest, here's my modest dress code for women and men, boys and girls:

1. Dignity. Dress in a way that shows your dignity and dose not harm the dignity of others.
2. Order. Dress in a way that will preserve order in your town, rather than cause scandal.
3. Reverence. Dress in a way that shows your love for God, who is everywhere and in everything.
4. Indulgence. Dress in a way that will be consoling for you, not too tight or uncomfortable.
5. Tolerance. Dress in a way that shows you are tolerant of others, not intolerant toward religion, race, etc.
6. Offering. Dress in a way that shows you are willing to make sacrifices, that you live by the Will of God.
7. Subsidy. Dress in a way that, when you grow too big for your clothing, you can give them to the needy.
Old Dec 31, '08, 5:40 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

This kind of thing pops up every so often around here, sad to say.

CatholicPlanet is of the same genre as Fisheaters.com only moreso. CatholicCulture.org considers such sites to be RED, or dangerous, for their lack of fidelity to Rome and the Holy Father.

The Rhodes website is clearly somebody opinion, as it is run on Geocities. It, too, has dangerous statements that are not faithful to the Magisterium.
Old Dec 31, '08, 6:13 pm

Religion: Angry but practicing Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucharisted View Post
Done half in jest, here's my modest dress code for women and men, boys and girls:

1. Dignity. Dress in a way that shows your dignity and dose not harm the dignity of others.
2. Order. Dress in a way that will preserve order in your town, rather than cause scandal.
3. Reverence. Dress in a way that shows your love for God, who is everywhere and in everything.
4. Indulgence. Dress in a way that will be consoling for you, not too tight or uncomfortable.
5. Tolerance. Dress in a way that shows you are tolerant of others, not intolerant toward religion, race, etc.
6. Offering. Dress in a way that shows you are willing to make sacrifices, that you live by the Will of God.
7. Subsidy. Dress in a way that, when you grow too big for your clothing, you can give them to the needy.
Amen, friend! And I just saw the acrostic you included. :: Thumbs up::

Agreed on the "indulgence" section; I've had so many problems with skirts (ie. wind catching them and blowing them up around my hips so I looked like a skinny, brunette version of Marilyn Monroe in "The Seven Year Itch"; immature guys peeking up under the hemline when I was standing above them), that I'm more comfortable and less paranoid when I'm wearing slacks of some sort.

And the prediction about Hillary Clinton converting by 2009? It's either wishful thinking, the writer needs their meds, or... who knows. The "Warning" that the writer was referring to most likely refers to one of the prophecies given by Our Lady to the visionaries of Garabandal. Supposedly, just before the end of the world, all mankind's sins will be collectively revealed to them, given them the chance to repent of them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Angela: "I don't believe in the Devil."

John Constantine: "You should. He believes in you." -- "Constantine"
Old Dec 31, '08, 6:13 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I grew up unbaptized (baptized in teens) and didn't convert to the Catholic Church for another 30 years, however I refused to wear pants as a child. Now, tho' I will wear pants (when weather is 10-38 degrees, a skirt just is too cold!) I prefer to wear skirts or dresses and to wear my hair in a feminine "do". I wonder if, as a child I somehow knew better what was right for me to wear?

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Dec 31, '08, 8:14 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigid12 View Post
I grew up unbaptized (baptized in teens) and didn't convert to the Catholic Church for another 30 years, however I refused to wear pants as a child. Now, tho' I will wear pants (when weather is 10-38 degrees, a skirt just is too cold!) I prefer to wear skirts or dresses and to wear my hair in a feminine "do". I wonder if, as a child I somehow knew better what was right for me to wear?
You are assuming what the OP posted is correct and somehow doctrinally sound. It is not. The Catholic Church does not demand that women dress one way or another, simply that modesty be maintained.

From Catholic Answers Ask An Apoligist:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=38501

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=8407

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0404fea3.asp

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=14848

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4651

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=19141

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4222

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2004/07/head_coverings_.html

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism