Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 7, '09, 3:11 am

Religion: Catholic
Default 2000's: End of the World? I think not!

I think it's hilarious when people try to predict the end of the world. Using so much superstition and misconceptions - or deliberate lies - of religious beliefs to back up claims, and they manage to get people hooked into the end-of-the-world bull, and not just people but smart and rich people. The most popular imagery of end-of-the-world scenaries come from Christianty, because, let's face it, Christianity is everywhere and it has been misunderstood for thousands of years. Let's break down some of the symbols, shall we?

Apoclypse: Contrary to popular belief, it dose not mean the end of the world but is the name of the last book in the Bible, written by the Apostle John. It's also known as the Book of Revelation. Also contrary to popular belief, the book is not about how God will punish non-Christians and save Christians from hell, nor is it a coded message about the last days, but rather, it is about the early persecution of Christianity, the liturgy of the Catholic Church, and the beliefs of the Church (which are summarized in the Apostles' Creed).

End times: Contrary to popular belief, the times dose not mean the end of the world or the days before the end, but rather, it refers to the final age, the age of peace or age of mercy, which according to Judaism is said to be brought about by the Messiah, and which Christ has indeed brought by His death on the Cross; the "end times" is the age of the Church (the Church being the seed and beginning of the Reign of God), the indefinite amount of time between Christ's resurrection and His second coming, which is symbolically referred to as a thousand years, the number 1000 taking on a mystical symbolism which basically means indefinite.

Armageddon: Contrary to popular belief, this term dose not mean the end of the world, nor the exact specific location of when the final battle against evil will take place, but it dose refer to the Mountain of Megiddo, a place of many decisive battles in Israel's history and which came to symbolize in Judaism the final battle between God and evil.

Six hundred sixty-six (666): Contrary to popular belief, this mystical number dose not refer to a specific hour, minute, and second, nor a specific locoation, nor is it pronounced six-six-six, but rather, because it, like every number found in the revelations in the Bible (such as the prophecies of Daniel), is a mystical number, it symbolizes something, and being that six hundred sixty-six is found in the Book of Revelation, it symbolizes both the Emperor Nero - who viciously persecuted Christians in the early years of the Church - and the coming antichrist, the Roman Emperor of course being a protoantichrist.

Since 2000 came around and the world hasn't ended, people are now latching onto so-called "important" dates that only appear to be the correct dates for the end of the world because of the mysticism attached to certain numbers in religions, such as twelve or thirty-six. This isn't to say that mystism is bad, but rather, the fact that mystical numbers are being misused or gvien significence which they do not actually hold is bad - very bad. (For example, in Judaism the number twelve signifies the twelve tribes of Israel, but this number has been misused by people to signify 2012, the supposed end of the world date). The fact that 2000 came and went, and now new dates are forming for the end of the world, shows that the so-called "prophecies" of the end of the world are false and that man cannot say when the world will end. The 2000 AD or millenium prophecies are much like the Jehovah Witness prophecies, which in turn are like every other prophecy that has failed to come true regarding the end of the universe.

Instead of entrusting himself to superstition, man ought to be entrusting himself to God, the one God, the God of history, who, in His Providence, provides all good things for man - most especially the road to eternal life - and gently guides the universe to its consummation. God knows when something will happen before it happens, and He knows every word that proceeds from man's lips, and every thought in his heart, even before it is said or thought. So who better to entrust oneself to than the Lord God?
Old Jan 7, '09, 10:09 am
Banned
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic. Loyal to the Holy See.
Default Re: 2000's: End of the World? I think not!

Yes I laugh too, my wife is SDA and they’re really into the ends times stuff. Of course they think I’m a crazy, misguided Catholic. They really give me looks when I tell them all that secret rapture garbage was first taught in the United States in 1844. The same stuff they talked about in the 1800’s is just like the Left Behind series today complete fiction but people where I work at thinks it's true.

Most people I talk too about end-times and really worried about it don’t look at history or the early Church fathers.

A good book to talk to people who are into this end times stuff from a Catholic perspective is, “The Rapture Trap.”
Old Jan 7, '09, 3:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

I remember growing up expecting industrial disaster to spell the end before 1981, at the latest; then nuclear war, expected before 1985, then the Harmonic Convergence, 1987, then the greenhouse effect, or the ozone hole, or some other environmental disaster was supposed to wipe us out in the '90's; Several years in that decade featured clusters of astronomical and environmental and other strange things that seemed to hint at the end. In 1999, a comet and eclipse scared me to death, due to a supposedly fulfilled Nostradamean prophecy. Meanwhile, as Y2K rolled around, I worked on preparedness, and when the papers said the world hadn't ended, no one knew what to do with all this extra time to live. Before we could relax, 9-11 shocked us again. Lots of people thought the war in Iraq was the sign of the final battle. And soon we had a black hole warnign on some science TV program, then June 6, 2006 and lastly (as far as I know) the particle accelerator. I'm all end-of-the-worlded out.
Old Jan 7, '09, 5:44 pm

Religion: Catholic. Never doubted. Jesus, I Trust in You!

I wonder how long, until God says, "Enough!"
"Say the Rosary every day...Pray, pray a lot and offer sacrifices for sinners...I'm Our Lady of the Rosary. Only I will be able to help you. ...In the end My Immaculate Heart will triumph." -Our Lady at Fatima

The Blue Army
Rosary Confraternity

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence