Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: Would the world be better if everyone followed the Pope?
Yes, more assuredly! The world would be awesome! 17 58.62%
Yes, I pretty much agree. 2 6.90%
No, it wouldn't make any difference 2 6.90%
No, it would absolutely terrible! 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, '09, 9:44 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Imagine if the whole world listened to the Pope

Imagine if all leaders made decisions based on the teachings of the Catholic Church, wouldn't the world be wonderful. I think the Pope should be the supreme leader of the world. Not in a political sense, like a president, but rather other politicians would listen to him. What are your thoughts?
Old Jan 9, '09, 11:30 am

Default Re: Imagine if the whole world listened to the Pope

Given the number of 'Catholics' out there that simply do not follow the church, I doubt it would make a difference if the rest of the world listened to the pope.

Now if they were faithful followers of the pope...

Z
Old Jan 9, '09, 11:35 am

I mostly mean that the laws would dirive from Catholic teaching on abortion, stem cell research, homosexual "marriage" and justice issues for peace, just war, etc.
Old Jan 10, '09, 3:16 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8888 View Post
Imagine if all leaders made decisions based on the teachings of the Catholic Church, wouldn't the world be wonderful. I think the Pope should be the supreme leader of the world. Not in a political sense, like a president, but rather other politicians would listen to him. What are your thoughts?
That would not be great... not even a little. Perhaps for a tiny amount of time (no more than a decade), but remember that there are always those thousands who disagree, those hundreds who unite, those tenswho rebel, and that one who will conquer.

Our world will always lead to diversity because we, as individuals, are so very different from each other in the way we perceive certain beliefs and certain truths.

Think about the Protestant Reformation, though. That kind of gives you a clue how things would become if the entire world was supposed to listen to the Pope.

And then, there's the Holy Roman Empire... what happened to that?

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood
Old Jan 10, '09, 7:32 pm

I believe if the world used the Catechism as its guide, we would have a very great world.
Old Jan 10, '09, 7:33 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Mertonian Catholic

The entire Roman Catholic Church might be a start before attempting such a grand goal.

O Lord, I humbly beseech thee to guide me to that form of religion
which is most pleasing to thee for me to follow upon earth,
in order to fulfill thy will here, and obtain everlasting happiness,
in the name of Jesus Christ thy Son.

Old Jan 10, '09, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The entire Roman Catholic Church might be a start before attempting such a grand goal.
Ok, I think maybe a lot of people are trying to prove me wrong or something. I was only saying this as a hypothetical situation. I'm not saying the Vatican should try to conquer the world or something. Basically all I'm saying is that if the world and the people in the world lived by Catholic values, then we'd have a great world.
Old Jan 10, '09, 9:46 pm
Banned

Religion: not

Quote:
i shudder to think...
really, for politicians to listen to one man, speaking for god, on how they should run things is a ridiculous sentiment.
1) not everyone is catholic
2) not even all catholics listen to the pope
3) there is a reason in most forward thinking countries for a seperation of church and state.

this would only lead to death, and dictatorships, both of which have turned out great for nazi germany, and the middle east.
Old Jan 10, '09, 9:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Ok, I think maybe a lot of people are trying to prove me wrong or something. I was only saying this as a hypothetical situation. I'm not saying the Vatican should try to conquer the world or something. Basically all I'm saying is that if the world and the people in the world lived by Catholic values, then we'd have a great world.
have you read any books describing a distopian society?
1984?
the giver?
brave new world?
anthem?
Old Jan 10, '09, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme View Post
i shudder to think...
really, for politicians to listen to one man, speaking for god, on how they should run things is a ridiculous sentiment.
1) not everyone is catholic
2) not even all catholics listen to the pope
3) there is a reason in most forward thinking countries for a seperation of church and state.

this would only lead to death, and dictatorships, both of which have turned out great for nazi germany, and the middle east.
as a Catholic, I disagree, because I think all the stuff in the Catechism is good and that if societies did them we would have peace and happiness. The concept of one person ruling the world isn't necessarily a bad thing if that person promotes good and avoids evil.
Old Jan 10, '09, 10:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
as a Catholic, I disagree, because I think all the stuff in the Catechism is good and that if societies did them we would have peace and happiness. The concept of one person ruling the world isn't necessarily a bad thing if that person promotes good and avoids evil.
im sure that, as a catholic, and the op, you disagree, why wouldnt you? you obviously had your mind made up before you started this thread. but youre not the pope, and one man cannot be relied on to make the world a better place. jesus may have given the world salvation, but he didnt give it good taste aznd good leadership after he left. the pope (a position which is chosen by a small circle of men) cannot be trust to run the world, any more than one man can be trusted to run a country, hence our sets of checks and balances.
also, if "societies did them" there would be no concept of free will, which is what makes this world a truly beautiful place. horrible things happen in it, and for every murder you hear about on the news, every group seeking to strip the rights of others away, every suicide bombing or rape you here about, theres at least one truly good, beautiful thing you can look at that makes all the horror in the world worth it.

or at least i sure hope there is.
Old Jan 11, '09, 5:04 am
Banned

Quote:
## I voted that it wouldn't make any difference. It didn't during the centuries before the Reformation.
Old Jan 11, '09, 5:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade and Blood View Post
That would not be great... not even a little. Perhaps for a tiny amount of time (no more than a decade), but remember that there are always those thousands who disagree, those hundreds who unite, those tenswho rebel, and that one who will conquer.

Our world will always lead to diversity because we, as individuals, are so very different from each other in the way we perceive certain beliefs and certain truths.

Think about the Protestant Reformation, though. That kind of gives you a clue how things would become if the entire world was supposed to listen to the Pope.

And then, there's the Holy Roman Empire... what happened to that?

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood
## The HRE was abolished by Napoleon in 1806 - after which the Emperor was until 1867 Emperor of Austria, & from then until 1922 Emperor of Austria-Hungary. The last Holy Roman Emperor to be crowned by a Pope was Charles V in 1530. There's a prayer "For the Emperor" in my 1962 Missal - draw your own conclusions

People are too different for the suggestion in the title of the thread to make much difference - & most people are not Christian anyway, never mind Catholic
Old Jan 11, '09, 5:14 am
Banned

Quote:
## STM you're asking for a dynasty of Saints

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice