Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 9, '09, 3:44 am
Observing Member

Default son pee standing?

My 4 .5 year old son has been potty trained for over a year, but\ he still pees sitting down. I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I'd like him to try standing up. How do get him to start peeing standing up? Any dad's have advice?
Old Jan 9, '09, 4:12 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: son pee standing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_73 View Post
My 4 .5 year old son has been potty trained for over a year, but\ he still pees sitting down. I don't want to make a big deal out of this, but I'd like him to try standing up. How do get him to start peeing standing up? Any dad's have advice?
Forget dads, moms would like them to keep peeing sitting down. Less cleaning to do.
Old Jan 9, '09, 4:32 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Forget dads, moms would like them to keep peeing sitting down. Less cleaning to do.
Amen, sister. I wish DH would pee sitting down.

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Jan 9, '09, 5:01 am

Show him how the big boys do it.

Take some O-shaped cereal (Cheerios, whatever) in the bathroom, throw a handful in the toilet, and have a contest to see who can pee on the most.

Or, my husband and son(s) will occasionally have pee wars and try to cross streams or pee the fastest.

Then clean the floor, toilet, and walls when you are done because you know your darling wife won't want to.

If your son sees how dad does it, chances are he'll want to do it that way, too.

Wife to my hockey-lovin', Canadian guy
Mom to two boys , and three girls
Old Jan 9, '09, 5:09 am

Don't worry about making your son pee standing up. I taught both of my boys to pee standing up and once they started school they both switched to sitting down. There is no stigma attached to boys peeing while sitting. It doesn't make them any less masculine but it does keep the bathroom area much cleaner.
Old Jan 9, '09, 5:12 am

Religion: none

mine wont pee standing unless its a urinal.
Old Jan 9, '09, 5:45 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

I second the "target practice" and Dad cleaning up the mess. You can also use marshmallows, but aim quickly.

It's not a huge deal, but he should know how to use a urinal if he's going to Kindergarten soon. And he should be able to keep his stream under control by then.
Old Jan 9, '09, 6:21 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutinChgoburbs View Post
. And he should be able to keep his stream under control by then.
Do they ever become able to do that????
Old Jan 9, '09, 6:31 am
Prayer Warrior

I second the practice and using cereal to aim.

My Mother also found these cute little fish, made from corn starch, I think, made just for learning to stand. Our son thought they were great. Dad went with him a couple of times. They played who can shoot the most fish. Within a week, our son was standing to pee.
Old Jan 9, '09, 6:36 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Oh, no, let him pee sitting down. Trust me, your toilets will be cleaner, your bathroom more fragrant and pleasant to go in.

My DH agrees with me that there is no stigma in going sitting down; that it makes life easier for all in the household, and that your son's future wife will be ever so grateful to have found such a gem of a husband. I have three boys, two are toilet-trained so far, and we have yet to enlighten them about the standing-up-to-pee option.
Old Jan 9, '09, 7:00 am
Forum Supporter

My concern about knowing how to pee standing up as well as sitting down: I have seen little boys, in my teaching experience, who do not know that a urinal is just for urine, park their bums on urinals and poop! No, the flowing water does not wash down the stool. Ick, ick, ick, much ickier than anything anybody has to clean up at home. Of course, there is no toilet paper at the urinals, and the boys in question go home with a dirty bottom, or complain and need to change their underwear.

Men's rooms are designed differently from women's rooms. There are fewer toilets, and usually a lot more urinals. If a fella needs to go in a hurry, he's gonna go where he can go.

Daycares for younger children are more like home settings. There are one or two toilets in each classroom, and they are toilets. Schools, esp. public schools, have urinals in the boys' rooms.

It will not hurt any boy to have a piddling repetorie, being able to do both. He can always urinate sitting down at home and in most places, but knowing how to piddle standing up and aim to the best of his ability into a urinal is crucial, at least in the US.
Old Jan 9, '09, 7:03 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Do they ever become able to do that????
Well, within reason, of course.
Old Jan 9, '09, 7:19 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutinChgoburbs View Post
My concern about knowing how to pee standing up as well as sitting down: I have seen little boys, in my teaching experience, who do not know that a urinal is just for urine, park their bums on urinals and poop! No, the flowing water does not wash down the stool. Ick, ick, ick, much ickier than anything anybody has to clean up at home. Of course, there is no toilet paper at the urinals, and the boys in question go home with a dirty bottom, or complain and need to change their underwear.

Men's rooms are designed differently from women's rooms. There are fewer toilets, and usually a lot more urinals. If a fella needs to go in a hurry, he's gonna go where he can go.

Daycares for younger children are more like home settings. There are one or two toilets in each classroom, and they are toilets. Schools, esp. public schools, have urinals in the boys' rooms.

It will not hurt any boy to have a piddling repetorie, being able to do both. He can always urinate sitting down at home and in most places, but knowing how to piddle standing up and aim to the best of his ability into a urinal is crucial, at least in the US.
I understand those reasons for wanting the "repertoire" (hee!). Since we homeschool, our kids are in way fewer public restroom settings and when they are, DH goes in the bathroom with them. My oldest knows what urinals are, and that he can use them if he wants to.
Old Jan 9, '09, 7:27 am
Forum Supporter

Boys' and men's rooms are just nasty in general, when it comes to cleanliness. I know the maintenance people at one place I worked refused to clean the men's room, it was that bad.
Old Jan 9, '09, 8:42 am

Religion: catholic

I guess I am weird... When I met Dh.. he always peed sitting down. Thats how his mother taught him and his brothers to do it. I found it strange to me to see a man sitting down to pee... So now he stands up to pee and my bathroom isn't any different. I think its weird to see a man sitting down to pee. Just me I guess.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting