Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 11, '09, 5:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default "Body of God" is this an abuse?

This morning at mass I received communion from a Eucharistic minister and she said "The body of God" to me. I was shocked and I know that my face said volumes when I heard her utter something other than "The body of Christ."

My knee-jerk reaction is always to reject this kind of "progressive" act. Is this an abuse?
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:02 pm

Default Re: "Body of God" is this an abuse?

Was it an older person? Sometimes folks just plain misspeak. Especially in a liturgical situation, it can make people uncomfortable , because they are supposed to say 'the rgiht thing' at 'the right time'. Unless you noticed them saying that to EVERYONE in the line, I wouldn't worry about it. The look on your face was probably reminder enough to them that it was wrong, assuming it was a mistake and not an intentional violation. Even as a mistake, it's not really all that disrespectful, like dropping it or something would be.
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiecoe View Post
This morning at mass I received communion from a Eucharistic minister and she said "The body of God" to me. I was shocked and I know that my face said volumes when I heard her utter something other than "The body of Christ."

My knee-jerk reaction is always to reject this kind of "progressive" act. Is this an abuse?
The only acceptable words for the person distributing the Body of Christ at that moment are "The Body of Christ" (if the language is English of course!).

Anyone can make a mistake. However if this is done intentionally it is indeed an abuse.
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:29 pm

Once a priest refused to say "the Body of Christ." I received, but I was highly disturbed. What should I have done?!
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
The only acceptable words for the person distributing the Body of Christ at that moment are "The Body of Christ" (if the language is English of course!).

Anyone can make a mistake. However if this is done intentionally it is indeed an abuse.
Yes. From my own experience tho' as a Lay Eucharistic Minister (their term, also termed a "lem") in the Episcopalian church, before I converted - Sometimes when I was serving in this capacity, I felt like a deer in the headlights. What was happening (I believed in a sort of consubstantiation at the time) was sooooo very tremendous that I wasn't able to keep my focus, at all.

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:37 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katholisch

This is kind of off topic, but when I receive the cup from hispanic people with heavy accents, it sounds as if they say "The bloodless Christ."

"Certainly we disagree with the Communist Party, as we disagree with other political parties who are trying to maintain the American way of life." Dorothy Day
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:43 pm

Muffinmojo - Yes, it was a woman in her mid 50's I guess .... and she repeated it more than once, she repeated it to my wife too!
Old Jan 12, '09, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiecoe View Post

hmm, maybe in her own way she was trying to tell people something about the real presence, but clearly it was an abuse. although maybe she didn't know that so she wouldn't be culpable. I think that unless there is a real emergency, only priests should be giving out communion, and directly on the tongue.
Old Jan 12, '09, 8:23 pm

Smile Re: "Body of God" is this an abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8888 View Post
... I think that unless there is a real emergency, only priests should be giving out communion, and directly on the tongue.

I could almost start a new thread about this.
Hmmmm......
Old Jan 12, '09, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigid12 View Post
Yes. From my own experience tho' as a Lay Eucharistic Minister (their term, also termed a "lem") in the Episcopalian church, before I converted - Sometimes when I was serving in this capacity, I felt like a deer in the headlights. What was happening (I believed in a sort of consubstantiation at the time) was sooooo very tremendous that I wasn't able to keep my focus, at all.
I attended an Episcopal Church for 10 years. I always received the consecrated bread from one of the priests (the Cup-Bearer was usually a Eucharistic Minister, i.e., Layperson). And the priests said one of two things: "The Body of Christ." Or, "The Body of Christ, the Bread of Heaven." As a Catholic, I never heard my priest ever refer to the wafer as "The Body of God."
Old Jan 13, '09, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Smith View Post

I could almost start a new thread about this.
Hmmmm......
Thanks Reg. My other question is why do 70 and 80 year olds receive communion in their hand. For half their lives they've been receiving it on their tongue, why wouldn't they just keep it up?
Old Jan 13, '09, 6:34 am

We have a new nun in our parish. The only time I've heard her read at Mass, she ended the readings with "The Word of our Gawd." (Spelling to emphasize her delighted pronunciation.)

If I hear it again, I'm chewing butt. Charitably, of course.
Old Jan 13, '09, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
We have a new nun in our parish. The only time I've heard her read at Mass, she ended the readings with "The Word of our Gawd." (Spelling to emphasize her delighted pronunciation.)

If I hear it again, I'm chewing butt. Charitably, of course.
What's chewing butt?
Old Jan 13, '09, 9:30 am

A euphemism for sternly addressing an issue with someone.
Old Jan 13, '09, 9:39 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Last summer I attended a Mass in a nearby parish (NOT "my" parish!)........the priest there (a known liberal one thru the years.....) said "Body of God" when we went up to recieve. I think I may have posted about that here (I dont remember....gettin old~LOL!) but I did consult a friend who suggested that I call the bishops office. I did and they must have spoken to him as a few weeks later I ended up having to attend that Mass again, but this time he did say, "Body of Christ". The first time when he said "Body of God" I was so startled that I am suprised I pulled myself together enough to recieve (on the tongue I might add~this priest didnt seem to happy to do that either. This same priest when I went to confession to him ONCE , told me that I didnt have to say the Act of Contrision, only what I wanted to, I could say my own..... ) Needless to say we made sure to find other masses to attend if we cant attend our regular parish!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments