Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 11, '09, 6:16 pm

Religion: none
Default perry stone

anyone know about this guy? my mom was telling me about some video they watched at church about prophecy and the zodiac....

seems whacky....

https://store.voe.org/p-455-eh-71-pr...s-package.aspx

https://store.voe.org/p-255-communio...t-package.aspx

links, info?
Old Jan 11, '09, 6:54 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: perry stone

He teaches on biblical phophecy and the rapture. He writes books, has DVDs, and has package tours to the Holy Land.
I think he makes a pretty good profit from his merchandise, but I also think he sincerely believes in what he preaches (rapture and end times).

Hope this helps. Maybe some of the other forum posters know more than I do about him.

Jean
Old Jan 12, '09, 10:50 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: cradle Catholic (Roman Rite)
Send a message via Skype™ to MDK

Even if sincerely believing, he is sincerely perverse from the authority God established. So, I agree that he's wacky. We Catholics know that Perry Stone (like any and all the others in the private interpreting crowd) has no authority whatsoever to teach his interpretations, if they differ with the Magisterium.

Vatican II (Dei Verbum # 10) taught: "The task of authoritatively interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on [Scripture or Tradition], has been entrusted exclusively to the living Magisterium of the Church, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."

Anyone claiming to be a "theologian" who would also claim that he can ignore the Magisterium in order to find the truth is ignorant of the truth of Christ. The teaching of the Magisterium is the prime, God-given means of knowing the truth. There is no license or valid freedom here to go beyond what he's qualified to do, according to what God has established. Per the way God set things up, Perry Stone is not qualified nor entrusted with authority to interpret the Word of God. We Catholics know that the correct method is to study the sources of revelation, but then give the final word to the Church. He who does not follow that method is not a qualified theologian.

Ignorance of Catholicism is ignorance of Christ. - Michael Kocian
Old Jan 13, '09, 8:20 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Judging by this, Stone is some kind of Pentecostal. I'm not sure, but I think that "verbal inspiration of the Bible" means they believe that God dictated the Bible, and the authors were merely scribes.

Of course, Jesus said that only the Father knows the day and time of the Second Coming, so any attempt to predict it is futile.

Stone is also a premillenialist, and a believer in the so-called rapture. At least they believe in the Trinity.

As a Catholic, I'm going to stay away from Stone and his teachings.

God bless us all,

Ruthie

"Your every act should be done with love." -1 Cor 16:14
"Love is not a wimp emotion." - Fr. John Corapi

Last edited by Rachel Malloy; Jan 14, '09 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 15, '09, 6:39 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
Judging by this, Stone is some kind of Pentecostal. I'm not sure, but I think that "verbal inspiration of the Bible" means they believe that God dictated the Bible, and the authors were merely scribes.

Of course, Jesus said that only the Father knows the day and time of the Second Coming, so any attempt to predict it is futile.

Stone is also a premillenialist, and a believer in the so-called rapture. At least they believe in the Trinity.

God bless us all,

Ruthie
Dictation where one believes as it hints that the writers simply wrote what they heard from God, is a slightly different claim than the claim of verbal inspiration. Both have in common that they are wrong. They both seem to stem from the errant idea that since the Bible is our prime (or only) source of authority, then God must have written it so that we really can't misunderstand, and so.... (fill in the blank with a man made erroneous conclusion). It is used in an attempt to justify the man made doctrine of right of private interpretation by all Christians.

From several different sources, verbal inspiration asserts that God actually guided the words the men chose in expressing the teachings... that God inspired the complete text(s) of the Bible, OT and NT in both historical and doctrinal details. The idea of verbal inspiration recognizes that the linguistic form of a text cannot be separated from its meaning.

Of course, this kind of belief stems from fallible men who had no promise of protection of the Holy Spirit, interpreting the Word of God as they desire. Neither the means, nor these resulting beliefs are Catholic, and should be rejected. They do not stem from the Will of God.

Old Jan 15, '09, 7:34 am
Banned

Religion: The Holy Orthodox Church

He sells communion kits by mail!
Old Jan 15, '09, 9:13 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
He sells communion kits by mail!
Unbelievable! If you don't believe in the real and true Presence, for them it can be probably more like community meals on wheels and it won't matter to them. Fortunately, he cannot validly consecrate a host.

In regard to the true priesthood and valid consecration, irreverence is sometimes pointed out. Christ gave us a Eucharistic Miracle which occurred near Siena, Italy in 1330, after a priest carelessly and irreverently (which was attributed to apathy) placed the Eucharist in a prayer book to take to a peasant who was ill. When the priest reached the ill person and opened the book, the Eucharist was stained with living blood, and both pages of the prayer book were bloodstained. I saw the bloodstained page during my trip to Italy last month, when we visited Cascia where the bloodstained page which stuck to the Eucharist is displayed in a reliquary in the Basilica, which also houses the incorrupt body of St. Rita. The priest was penitent, and was later pardoned.

Old Jan 16, '09, 10:44 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post

God bless us all,

Ruthie
He holds the rank of "ordained "bishop"" in the "Church of God" headquartered in Tennessee. It claims to be "Christian", "Pentecostal", "Protestant", "Unified", and "Charismatic", "Evangelistic". Perry obviously is not in the line of apostolic Succession, so as a "bishop" ordained in that church, he is in reality no more a true Bishop that any lay Christian. That title of bishop from the "Church of God" has no authority handed down from God. A claim they cannot truthfully make, is that their church was built by Christ. Theirs is merely another man made church, with man made doctrine, interpreting Scriptures as they feel the need to do so, and having no authority handed down from Christ. They can quote Scriptures, but can't be counted on to teach what they truly mean. So, they can't truly claim to have the proper teaching of the full Gospel.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions