Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 12, '09, 6:37 am

Religion: Discerning Catholicism
Default What happened to Lazarus?

What happened to Lazarus? Did he die again later or is he still alive?
Old Jan 12, '09, 7:03 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What happened to Lazarus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichenb2 View Post
What happened to Lazarus? Did he die again later or is he still alive?
He died again later.
Old Jan 13, '09, 2:16 pm
Book Club Member

Captain Kirk stole his robot daughter. After Spock proved he was really Brahms and da Vinci.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ode/68812.html
Old Jan 13, '09, 4:46 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Yes, Lazarus died again later, although the Bible does not tell us when. When Jesus raised Lazarus, He did not give him the kind of glorified, "resurrected" body we hope to have when Jesus comes again or the kind of body that Mary has. It was really just his "old" body brought back to life, which enabled him to endure an earthly death.
Old Jan 13, '09, 5:22 pm
Forum Elder

Fiction writers "resurrect" him from time to time. Many, many years ago, he was a somewhat elusive character in a futuristic, very well-read novel entitled "A Canticle for Leibowitz". There were so many published that I'm sure a person could find it on Ebay or somewhere.

I strongly recommend it, even now. Re-read it a few years back. Very Catholic and very readable.
Old Jan 13, '09, 5:24 pm

Religion: Catholic - Tiber Swim Class of 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by passus View Post
Yes, Lazarus died again later, although the Bible does not tell us when. When Jesus raised Lazarus, He did not give him the kind of glorified, "resurrected" body we hope to have when Jesus comes again or the kind of body that Mary has. It was really just his "old" body brought back to life, which enabled him to endure an earthly death.
I agree with this.

Has anybody considered with this "Lazarus" was the same "Lazarus" in the parable with the Richman? He died and went to Abraham's bosom (no-one was in heaven yet as Christ has not freed the prisoners from ghenna). Interestingly, that is the only parable where the subject was given a "name" (Lazarus) and while it looked like Abraham rejected the richman's plea - its ironic he said that if they didn't believe Moses, they would not even believe one rising from the dead - and then, "Lazarus" indeed rose from the dead!

Blessings,

Brian
The time is coming," declares the Lord, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah." (Jer 31:31)
Old Jan 14, '09, 10:43 am

I believe Lazarus' tomb is on Cyprus, if I am not mistaken. I have a friend who has been there and describes it as a place of overwhelming peace.

Few if any would identify Lazarus of Bethany with the man of the same name in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. Since Jesus was a guest in Lazarus' home (Luke 10), we know he wasn't a homeless beggar with open sores that dogs licked.

Funny thing though, in no other parable does Jesus give a proper name to any person, prompting some to speculate that the story is not a parable but an anecdote -- something that really happened.

Pax,

Jim
Old Jan 15, '09, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Fiction writers "resurrect" him from time to time. Many, many years ago, he was a somewhat elusive character in a futuristic, very well-read novel entitled "A Canticle for Leibowitz". There were so many published that I'm sure a person could find it on Ebay or somewhere.

I strongly recommend it, even now. Re-read it a few years back. Very Catholic and very readable.
Weird! I remember reading that book when I was an early teen and I loved it! I have totally forgotten what it was all about now, but I do remember liking it. I've never known anyone else who read it! (I found it at a garage sale and bought it for a quarter)
Old Jan 16, '09, 6:00 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagedds View Post
Few if any would identify Lazarus of Bethany with the man of the same name in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. Since Jesus was a guest in Lazarus' home (Luke 10), we know he wasn't a homeless beggar with open sores that dogs licked.
Yep. Lazarus' name itself may have come from the Hebrew Eleazar ("God has helped"), which was most likely a common name back then (for example, some people named Eleazar who lived at roughly the same time period as Jesus would be Eleazar ben-Arakh, Rabbi Eleazar ben-Azariah, Eliezer ben-Hyrcanus, Eleazar ben-Yair or Eleazar ben-Simon).

Some give the reason as to why Eleazar became Lazarus due to the thick provincial Galilean accents that Jesus and many of His disciples had. Galileans usually drop the alefs from words -- to the point that Galileans caused great amusement to the snobbish Judeans by their characteristic sloppiness in pronouncing Aramaic. The Talmud even describes a Galilean in the Jerusalem marketplace who was ridiculed for trying to buy what he called amar. He was chided thus: "You stupid Galilean, do you want something to ride on [hamar, "donkey"]? Or something to drink [hamar, "wine"]? Or something for a sacrifice [immar: a lamb]?"

Thus, Jesus and company, dropping the alef from Eleazar/'Alazar (אֶלְעָזָר), would have called him 'Lazar. This sure puts Jesus' words "Lazarus, come forth" in a new light, as He would have said it using His Galilean accent. Also, personally I find it interesting that "Eleazar" (God helps) is raised by "Yeshua" (YHWH saves)!
Old Jan 23, '09, 4:08 pm

Religion: SOMEWHERE BETWEEN ROMAN CATHLIC & EASTERN ORTHODOX & JUDAISM

From A Darwinian Pt Of View, One Could Say Lazarus Was In A Coma & Jesus Revived Him. From The Faith Pt Of View, Jesus Resurrected Lazarus To Provide Proof Of Resurrection. Lazarus Would Later Die A Natural Death. Look At It This Way, W/o The Lazarus Story Providing Some Hope For Us To Hang On, It Would Be Difficult To Understand Resurrection For Us Mortals At All.
Old Jan 23, '09, 6:22 pm

Here is some great stuff that has some tradition about Lazarus and what he did after Christ raised him. http://members5.boardhost.com/STANDR...175373588.html

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture