Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 12, '09, 2:23 pm

Religion: Catholic--I lean towards the obedient kind of traditionalism
Default Should I get a day job, while communicating with a community about a vocation?

Do you have multiple meetings, at least with orders that don't have roomy monasteries for inquirers? Should I get a day job or is a shorter period than that? Could it hurt my vocation to do so--like I've got split interests? I can live at home unless it's an order far away and requiring frequent meetings. Then, i might have to pay for a place to stay and for food unless, that is, provisions can be made where you earn your keep at a Catholic place that can take you in.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, '09, 2:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Should I get a day job, while communicating with a community about a vocation?

I would get a job. Thinking you have a vocation does not necessarily mean you do have one. Also, it may take time to figure such. Also, it will allow earn money so you can take some courses (not necessarily theology or philosophy) you may eventually use in any path you take.
Old Jan 12, '09, 5:18 pm

Default Re: Should I get a day job, while communicating with a community about a vocation?

Definitely get a job. I got in touch with someone discerning a Trappist vocation on this forum who has been directly discerning his vocation to that order for over a year, after spending time discerning a call to at least one other religious order before that. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning his experience on this thread.

The basic structure (at least for Trappist discernment, which is the only order about whose process I really know anything) is that you make a couple or few visits over a period of up to a year or more before making a visitation of 4-6 weeks during which you live basically as a novice, though perhaps they will be a little more easy going with you based on the situation. After that you leave for a bit and, if and when the abbot and novice director feel you are ready, you will be called back to the monastery to begin your time as a postulant, which is followed by the novitiate and then simply and later solemn vows - presuming bot you and the order with which you are discerning feel you do indeed have a vocation from God within that order.

In short..get a job!

In Christ's Love,
Stephen

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '06 (Deo Gratias!)
Old Jan 12, '09, 11:12 pm

Would you advise against trying to join a way out-of-state community, then?
Old Jan 13, '09, 5:37 am

Of course not, geographic location has no bearing on where your vocation may be - though it may obviously make visitations a bit more difficult. Keep in mind the geographic distance, or lack thereof, may in some way be a part of God's plan for you - as He always makes the most perfect plans for us!

Discern your vocation in faith, hope, and love, and don't let something as insignificant as distance get in your way. Even if it's very difficult to visit the community to whom you are discerning a vocation, the worst that may mean is you have to save up adequate funds between visits, which God may use for the strengthening of your vocation or as time to present alternatives to you. Trust in Him and all will be right!

In prayerful hope.
Stephen

Old Jan 13, '09, 10:33 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sanctus View Post
Of course not, geographic location has no bearing on where your vocation may be - though it may obviously make visitations a bit more difficult. Keep in mind the geographic distance, or lack thereof, may in some way be a part of God's plan for you - as He always makes the most perfect plans for us!

Discern your vocation in faith, hope, and love, and don't let something as insignificant as distance get in your way. Even if it's very difficult to visit the community to whom you are discerning a vocation, the worst that may mean is you have to save up adequate funds between visits, which God may use for the strengthening of your vocation or as time to present alternatives to you. Trust in Him and all will be right!

In prayerful hope.
Stephen
3Sanc is right on.

Don't let a little thing like distance stand in your way, tho' it might be sensible to start looking closer to home. But if you're interested in communities that are far away, you'll have to travel. I don't know anything about your aptitudes or work history, but there are still a lot of temp jobs around for which you could sign up. If you're in health care, you could work for a locums agency. If a teacher, you could do substitute teaching, taking summers and vacs off for discerning. I agree that a job history is a good thing to have and you will be asked for recommendations; count on it. I personally think that it would look a little weird to be 'not working' --possibly for years?--while you discern. Not all of us can fall back on our trust funds!
Old Jan 13, '09, 11:10 am

I read your response from other website that you were tired of living in "the World". Don't forget that you can not escape from the reality that you will be in this world as long as you live. The question is "do you belong to this world?"

How long do you think you have to wait before being accepted into a religious order? If you don't know for sure, then you should work. However, gettting a job is practical for everybody. Even in some communities, they work as a doctor, teacher, a lawyer, etc ... I think you should get a job to support yourself, to gain expriences in dealing with others and with yourself in the "real world" situation. When you are in a religious community, you are still in a real world - you will still deal with the ugly, the bad, and the good.

I could also understand that when you work, you don't have enough time to take days off to visit different religious orders, but you can still have weekends to visit them.
Old Jan 13, '09, 1:01 pm

I figured the Trappists and other monasteries just kept people as guests, who were discerning.

I guess you're right about some having to work outside a friary. Maybe that's why monastic communities are called, "stable".
Still, you probably would get a good formation before they'd send you elsewhere, right?

Anyway, I've always been fascinated by the Franciscans and wanted to wear their habit and be without bothering about worldly things. Wearing the clothes might help better make the man (or woman, for nuns).
Old Jan 13, '09, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishmortal View Post
Anyway, I've always been fascinated by the Franciscans and wanted to wear their habit and be without bothering about worldly things. Wearing the clothes might help better make the man (or woman, for nuns).
You should have a spiritual director. S/he will help you a lot.
Old Jan 13, '09, 8:45 pm

I will be having someone to visit about this weekend and he will probably be able to write sometimes via e-mail. He was a priest, but it was under good terms that he left, as sad as a priest leaving the ministry is sad.

I'm thinking I would not seem as melancholic if, in informing the misinformed, I have a Franciscan outfit on. It would just be expected I'd say those things.

I hadn't thought of the temp thing in a long time! I've never heard of that health care one.

Thanks everyone! That's not to say I'm ending the discussion, though.
Old Jan 14, '09, 12:23 pm

Quote:
I'm thinking I would not seem as melancholic if, in informing the misinformed, I have a Franciscan outfit on.
what do you mean about Franciscan outfit?
Old Jan 14, '09, 1:00 pm

You know, the simple, classically brown (though in also coming in grays and blues) gown-shaped clothes, tied by a white cord, and the whole thing topped by the hood. I don't know if it''s called a habit, as a nun's outfit is.
Old Jan 14, '09, 1:12 pm

Quote:
You know, the simple, classically brown (though in also coming in grays and blues) gown-shaped clothes, tied by a white cord, and the whole thing topped by the hood. I don't know if it''s called a habit, as a nun's outfit is.
I see. What do you want to do with the outfit?
Old Jan 14, '09, 1:15 pm

Keep in mind being a Christian of any stripe is about deeds and about your heart meeting with Our Lord in the Holy Spirit. Habits are irrelevant to the whole business.

Here's a quote from Thomas Merton someone gave me on another thread:

"No writing on the solitary, meditative dimension of life can say anything that has not already been said better by the wind in the pine trees.
If you want a life of prayer, the way to get it is by praying.
I do not live in a hermitage--- I live in a house, what I wear is pants, what I do is live, How I pray is breathe."

I think that's one of the best - if not the best - quotes on religious life I've ever seen.

In Christ.
Stephen

Old Jan 14, '09, 1:19 pm

Oh, and since it can always use another prayer, check out the Jesus Prayer. It's the best way I know to fulfill Saint Paul's instruction to "pray always" and matches up with what Thomas Merton says about his prayer and breathing.

In Prayer.
Stephen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations