Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 14, '09, 3:59 pm

Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Saint Silvan, the incorruptible saint

I've just learned about this amazing martyr, who died around 350 AD. His body has been incorrupt for over a millenium and a half. This is a great sign of the truth of the Catholic Faith!

By the way, some saints are buried under altars because of their martyrdom to Christ; they sacrificed their lives for Him (Rev 6:9).
Old Jan 14, '09, 4:04 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert, Looking East
Default Re: Saint Silvan, the incorruptible saint

I love him too! I've always wondered if he is the same St. Silvan spoken of in the letters of St. Paul. He was a Bishop, I believe, of Thessolonika (sp?).

I always ask him for his intercession.
Old Jan 14, '09, 5:23 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: cradle Roman Catholic and loving every moment

I have assisted at mass as a deacon at the Cathedral of St Blase in Dubrovnik , Croatia where this is. It is so incredibly preserved, I at at first thought it was a wax figure. When I asked the priest at the Cathedral who it represented, he told me it was the actual incorrupt body of a saint. I had forgotten the name. I am glad to know it is St Silvan. Thank you.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

MY JESUS, I TRUST IN YOU...
Old Jan 14, '09, 10:23 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Latin Rites)

I think I would be scared to death to be in the same room with the incorruptable body of a saint, which is sad. It's a knee-jerk reaction to having been dragged to the BodyWorlds exhibit while I was having my nervous breakdown.

Imagine being taken to see a bunch of plastic-dipped bodies in various poses, with lots of quotes about the nature of death all over the walls, and all the while you're suffering from severe death anxiety.

Even looking at the photograph of the Saint gives me chills and makes me feel nervous now. That's terribly sad. I wish I could look with reverence on him instead.
Hi, my name's Tabitha! I was named after a woman in Acts 9:36 - 43. Not the little girl from "Bewitched."

Devoted Daughter to Ben and Zelda, sister to Linda and Diane, and friend to anybody who will have me!
Old Jan 14, '09, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabsie3210 View Post
I think I would be scared to death to be in the same room with the incorruptable body of a saint, which is sad. It's a knee-jerk reaction to having been dragged to the BodyWorlds exhibit while I was having my nervous breakdown.

Imagine being taken to see a bunch of plastic-dipped bodies in various poses, with lots of quotes about the nature of death all over the walls, and all the while you're suffering from severe death anxiety.

Even looking at the photograph of the Saint gives me chills and makes me feel nervous now. That's terribly sad. I wish I could look with reverence on him instead.

Hi Tabitha, I can give you what the Lord gave me to over come that. Both my wife and I have gone through, and it is biblical.
Godbless
Old Jan 14, '09, 10:49 pm

I just went looking for pictures of him, and a Flickr photograph has a caption underneath that says, "Although his face appears to be wax, he's considered to be incorruptible." I'm not sure what to make of that. I know that in some cases a light coat of wax was necessary to prevent discoloration due to candle smoke and such, but that isn't anything major. They may have waxed his face for simliar reasons, but you'd think you'd see some breakdown of his flesh if this were all some kind of... I don't know. Joke, jest, misunderstanding, "Catholic superstition."

I was right, though. Seeing pictures of various Incorruptible saints made me very nervous. I don't really know what to make of them. I know that the bodies aren't preserved, and that only recently did we come up with the plasticine dipping that the bodies in the BodyWorlds exhibit were preserved with. After all this time, though, the saints don't look too bad.
Hi, my name's Tabitha! I was named after a woman in Acts 9:36 - 43. Not the little girl from "Bewitched."

Devoted Daughter to Ben and Zelda, sister to Linda and Diane, and friend to anybody who will have me!
Old Jan 14, '09, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleone View Post
Hi Tabitha, I can give you what the Lord gave me to over come that. Both my wife and I have gone through, and it is biblical.
Godbless
Really? I'd love to know... I'm absolutely terrified of mummies and dead bodies these days, because it was very unnerving for me to go through that exhibit. Two things that terribly upset me were seeing the preserved infants and unborn, and seeing a man whose body was flayed and arranged so he looked like some kind of wizard flying on a broomstick. Both those parts of the exhibit really freaked me out, and I'm still kind of weirded out by the saints I saw pictures of.

Old Jan 15, '09, 1:59 am

It's okay if you're nervious about seeing incorruptible bodies, or even dead bodies on display - it can definitely be nerve-wrecking, because it's like they're zombies or something.

To cheer you up, here are some happy babies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dj298NRTO8
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:06 am
Prayer Warrior

There is an interesting book entitled, "The Incorruptibles". I do not recall the author. Most Catholic book stores either have it or can get it. It is a good and informative read.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

Old Jan 15, '09, 8:45 am
Forum Master

I have the book, its, "The Incorruptibles: A Study of the Incorruption of the Bodies of Various Catholic Saints and Beatification" by Joan Carroll Cruz

The author begins the book by explaining the difference between mumified bodies and the incorruptibles, and why they are not even close to being the same.

I saw the incorrupt body of St. Bernadette at Nevers France. In fact, I attended Mass in the chapel where her body lays.

She's beautiful.

Jim
Old Jan 15, '09, 9:04 am

I've read that not only do the bodies not decay, but the bodies don't have the smell of decay on them, either, and it's not the result of waxing or anything else.

I recall reading about Elmer McCurdy (I think I got that right) who was embalmed and then stuffed in wax afterwards, but he still suffered corruption.

Old Jan 15, '09, 9:12 am
Forum Master
Greeter

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Ed B View Post
I have assisted at mass as a deacon at the Cathedral of St Blase in Dubrovnik , Croatia where this is. It is so incredibly preserved, I at at first thought it was a wax figure. When I asked the priest at the Cathedral who it represented, he told me it was the actual incorrupt body of a saint. I had forgotten the name. I am glad to know it is St Silvan. Thank you.
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B
dubrovnik?!?
i was there, i wish i would have know about him then
Old Jan 15, '09, 9:41 am
Forum Master

A couple of things I remember from the book, and from my visit to France. Going from memory here, so please forgive me, if I get a detail wrong.

Mummification requires dry heat. The Egyptian mummies had the internal organs removed, and the cavity filled with hot sand.

Incorruptibles, because many were living in monasteries, which were built on less than desirable land, were often buried along side swamps and marshes. Often, the clothing the person was buried in had decayed, but the body had not.

Mummified bodies are stiff and leathery.

Incorruptibles are soft and and supple. I believe it was St. John of the Cross who bled, when they attempted to cut a finger off to be used as a 1st class relic.

Incorruptible bodies often give off a scent of perfume, or other sweet fragrance.

The body of some incorruptibles, have been known to change position.

St. Catherine of Labore, was buried with her eyes closed and her hands laying on her chest, pointing toward her head,as in prayer. She was discovered to be incorrupt in 1830 at which time, they moved her body to the chapel. About the time of the French Revolution In mid 1800's, there as a riot breaking out in the street outside of the shrine. People inside the shrine-chapel noticed that St. Catherine's eyes had opened, and her hands were now point toward the ceiling. The excitement flowed into the street and the curiosity of the crowd to see the event, stopped the riot.

BTW, her eyes are blue. I got to see her, and she like St. Bernadette, is beautiful.

Jim
Old Jan 15, '09, 10:39 am
Prayer Warrior

I too have seen her in Paris. Right down the street from the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal where she is, is the Cathedral of St. Vincent De Paul. His incorrupt body is in a glass sarcophagus above the main altar with stairs leading up to it. You can actually get within inches of him if you press against the glass. It is incredible.One is left with awe about our God and his gifts to us.

Before I retired, a couple where I worked were going to Europe. I told them about the incorruptibles and where they could see them. This couple is protestant and while they saw them, refused to believe what it was that they saw. They kept insisting that these were wax figures. I tried explaining to them, but they were rather fundamentalist and it was like talking to a stone wall. I ended up just telling them I would pray for them. It is wonderful what we can see through the eyes of faith.

What is even more astounding, there are some incorruptables in Europe that I have read about who were actually protestant. Oh well.

Prayers & blessings!
Deacon Ed B

Old Jan 15, '09, 11:16 am

Religion: Catholic convert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post

The body of some incorruptibles, have been known to change position.

Jim
OMGosh, are you KIDDING??

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality