Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 16, '09, 9:58 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Questions about praying the Holy Rosary

Hello all! I bought my first holy Rosary last Saturday and had it blessed by a priest after Sunday mass. Since then I have been praying with it every morning and every night before and after I wake up and go to bed. Is this habit odd? Just wondering. I also kiss the cruifix after praying for that night or day. It's my way to show love to the Lord. I also kiss my hand when I do the sign of the cross when I excuse myself from the pew from daily mass. Is this odd at all to any of you? I have been praying the holy rosary twice a day everyday since last Saturday and I find myself wanting to pray it more. I really love doing it, but I also want my prayers answered while I do it. Please offer any advice you guys have. It would be very much appreciated! God bless you all!

~Stephen
Old Jan 16, '09, 10:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Questions about praying the Holy Rosary

cameraguy

Quote:
Hello all! I bought my first holy Rosary last Saturday and had it blessed by a priest after Sunday mass. Since then I have been praying with it every morning and every night before and after I wake up and go to bed. Is this habit odd?
Its only odd in the sense that more Catholics should do the same.
Keep it up, you'll be rewarded ten times over the sacrifice required.

Quote:
Just wondering. I also kiss the crucifix after praying for that night or day. It's my way to show love to the Lord. I also kiss my hand when I do the sign of the cross when I excuse myself from the pew from daily mass. Is this odd at all to any of you?
I always kiss the crucifix before and after saying the Rosary. I don't kiss my hand, for it was really never part of my culture, which is really where the custom comes from. If you're doing this out of love and reverence for God, by all means, do it.

Quote:
I have been praying the holy rosary twice a day everyday since last Saturday and I find myself wanting to pray it more. I really love doing it, but I also want my prayers answered while I do it. Please offer any advice you guys have. It would be very much appreciated! God bless you all!

Always remember, when you pray, God is present within you. You are not praying to some abstract being in a place beyond your reach. He dwells within your very being.

Also, like St. Teresa of Avila says, when the King comes to you as you pray, remember He brings his court with Him. In other words, Our Blessed Mother, the Apostles and all the Saints, are all there with Him, as you pray.

Jim
Old Jan 16, '09, 11:59 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraguy55 View Post
Hello all! I bought my first holy Rosary last Saturday and had it blessed by a priest after Sunday mass. Since then I have been praying with it every morning and every night before and after I wake up and go to bed. Is this habit odd? Just wondering. I also kiss the cruifix after praying for that night or day. It's my way to show love to the Lord. I also kiss my hand when I do the sign of the cross when I excuse myself from the pew from daily mass. Is this odd at all to any of you? I have been praying the holy rosary twice a day everyday since last Saturday and I find myself wanting to pray it more. I really love doing it, but I also want my prayers answered while I do it. Please offer any advice you guys have. It would be very much appreciated! God bless you all!

~Stephen
Not odd at all! Keep it up!
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraguy55 View Post

~Stephen
What a wonderful way to start your day and end the day with the Rosary!!! I pray that your praying will be answered in God's time and with His will.
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:12 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

None of these practices are odd, all are beneficial.

I know in some cultures it's the done thing to kiss one's hand after making the sign of the cross, I sometimes see people do it in my church, so it's not odd at all.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:22 pm

MY name is Diane and I have created a website that is designed to teach the catholic faith. I have wonderful information on the rosary in there just for you.
If you think your ways are different - I pray the rosary using a CD offered by Autom - called the Healing Rosary on the way to work and at night I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet using a CD from the same place - they are both listed on my website.
So just look www.catholicdesignco.com - it was a way to give back to JESUS what HE has given me. This is not a commerical for my site just some helpful information for you.
God Bless
Old Jan 16, '09, 7:11 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!

I have many rosaries, but I recently recieved one for Christmas that was blessed by Pope Benedict. Since then, I've become more faithful praying it than ever before. Praise God.

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]
Old Jan 16, '09, 8:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

That is wonderful that you love the Rosary keep on praying it! I'm sure this pleases God and Our Lady, who gave us this prayer.
btw, I kiss the crucifix too, nothing wrong with that

God bless

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Jan 17, '09, 12:39 am

Is it possible to order Rosaries and other sacramentals over the internet that have been blessed by the Holy Father? I know you can get them in Rome, but unfortunately I haven't been there since converting but would love to receive such an item.

In Christ.
Stephen

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '06 (Deo Gratias!)
Old Jan 17, '09, 3:00 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Stephen.. I'm SO glad to hear you're praying the Holy Rosary! Keep it up! Only good can come from faithful recitation of the Rosary. God bless!
"..I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. CHOOSE LIFE, then, that you and your descendants may live.." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
PLEASE VISIT: http://www.facebook.com/priestsforlife.org

Old Jan 17, '09, 3:55 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Cradle Catholic -- Enduring to the End!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
That is wonderful that you love the Rosary keep on praying it! I'm sure this pleases God and Our Lady, who gave us this prayer.
btw, I kiss the crucifix too, nothing wrong with that

God bless
Hi Monica -- I always begin praying my rosary by kissing the cross, even if the rosary I'm using isn't blessed. I also do the same for the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Then I always end the rosary and chaplet by kissing the cross again. Also, I'm determined to make more of an effort to pray it at least once a day.

Kathy

"Jezu Ufam Tobie" -- English Translation from Polish: "Jesus, I Trust In You!!!"
[/size]

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality