Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 22, '09, 1:58 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC
Default Breaking Bad Habits Using Prayer

How many of you have broken a bad habit using prayer to strengthen you? I would like to hear personal stories, such as quitting drinking, smoking, diet problems, sexual problems. Tell me how Jesus/God or Saints helped you to overcome your bad habits.
Old Jan 22, '09, 1:59 pm

Default Re: Breaking Bad Habits Using Prayer

I am also very interested in hearing stories!
Old Jan 22, '09, 2:08 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

I used to be tempted with a horrible sin repeatedly and begged God to take this away, but nothing helped... I was Protestant at the time.. then I realized God is leading me to the Church and eventually felt comfortable enough to pray to Mary. (this was a big stumbling block for me before, and I know God must have given me some special grace for this). One day, I asked Mary to pray for me that I'd not be tempted anymore and wouldn't ever sin in this way again.. and my prayer was answered that instant I'm so grateful to God and to Mary that I was finally set free. I know it's because of Our Lady's intercession. Now whenever people say that Mary can't hear our prayers, I want to tell them this story lol.

I think Mary's intercession is especially powerful if you want to be more humble or more pure / chaste.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Jan 23, '09, 6:23 am

I used to give in to personal gratification

I really didn't want to do it anymore and so I began to pray the Rosary. Mary took away my temptations completely. It has now been 4 months since I did it and it's hard to believe b/c before when I was tempted, I couldn't sleep unless I did it. Now I pray the Rosary and sleep like a baby.

It was a struggle at first, but Mary helped me conquer it. If you really want to please God, go to Mary. The Rosary is amazing.
Old Jan 23, '09, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
I used to give in to personal gratification

I really didn't want to do it anymore and so I began to pray the Rosary. Mary took away my temptations completely. It has now been 4 months since I did it and it's hard to believe b/c before when I was tempted, I couldn't sleep unless I did it. Now I pray the Rosary and sleep like a baby.

It was a struggle at first, but Mary helped me conquer it. If you really want to please God, go to Mary. The Rosary is amazing.
Ditto! I started praying the rosary at the first thought, and the first few times I started crying because the temptation was so strong that it felt like it was overcoming me. But I stayed focused and I kept struggling with it, and now it has been almost 3 months.

I also used to self-injure, somtimes multiple times in the same day. I started playing the 15 minute game (well, I'll wait 15 minutes to see if I still want to, and if I do then, I'll go ahead... although most of the times, I played the 15 minute game for days at a time) a few years ago, and it started lessening the frequency of cutting, but I was still slipping up fairly regularly (every other week or so). Over a year ago, I started praying to St. Michael in addition to the 15 minute game, and I've only slipped up about 5 times this past year. And now, it's been 4 months since I've cut.

Next up, smoking! But that's almost a month away....

Thanks for the topic... breaking bad habits without prayer is almost impossible (it has been done, though), and I know that I would not have been able to break my bad habits without prayer.

God Bless!
Ericka
"Our world hangs like a magnificent jewel in the vastness of space. Every one of us is a part of that jewel. A facet of that jewel. And in the perspective of infinity, our differences are infinitesimal."
~Fred Rogers

Tiber Swim Team, class of 2008
Old Jan 23, '09, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka1701 View Post
Ditto! I started praying the rosary at the first thought, and the first few times I started crying because the temptation was so strong that it felt like it was overcoming me. But I stayed focused and I kept struggling with it, and now it has been almost 3 months.

I also used to self-injure, somtimes multiple times in the same day. I started playing the 15 minute game (well, I'll wait 15 minutes to see if I still want to, and if I do then, I'll go ahead... although most of the times, I played the 15 minute game for days at a time) a few years ago, and it started lessening the frequency of cutting, but I was still slipping up fairly regularly (every other week or so). Over a year ago, I started praying to St. Michael in addition to the 15 minute game, and I've only slipped up about 5 times this past year. And now, it's been 4 months since I've cut.

Next up, smoking! But that's almost a month away....

Thanks for the topic... breaking bad habits without prayer is almost impossible (it has been done, though), and I know that I would not have been able to break my bad habits without prayer.

God Bless!
Ericka
Thank you! 5 days without smoking now, and boy, do I pray a lot. I think it's the only thing that is carrying me through at the bad tempting moments. Thank heavens for God, he is my strength. I have been praying a lot of Hail Marys too. I'm so glad to know that it is working for others too. Bless you all!
Old Jan 23, '09, 6:21 pm

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

I have found a short prayer followed by meditation on scripture to be helpful in cases of sexual temptation.

God bless,
Kevin
Old Jan 24, '09, 3:25 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

I just keep praying and hope the bad habits will eventually go. I used to pray for specific things and see if they happen, They often did and sometimes quickly. I think the important thing is to pray and cooperate with the graces you receive. Grace is always given but we don't always use it wisely. That's the reason we sin so much. Perhaps we should pray more that we don't waste grace. Especially me.
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality