Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 28, '09, 9:12 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Seminary Curriculum

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been covered; I searched the threads for it but nothing came up.

In any case, I'm looking for a sample of what courses a seminarian would take along the way to becoming the priest. I'm looking for something beyond, for example, " Year one: Theology I, year two: Theology II"

I'm new to the Catholic Church and strongly feel I have a vocation to try to become a priest, but will most likely have to wait awhile before I can enter a seminary. So I'd like to use the years wisely and start learning on my own.

By the way, does anyone know where to get a copy of the Summa Theologica in Latin (not Latin/English)? Tried Amazon but all I could find was the Fathers of the English Dominican Province edition.
Old Jan 28, '09, 9:41 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: Seminary Curriculum

You may find it helpful to take a look at Program of Priestly Formation put out by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. There is a section on the intellectual formation of future priests that will at least provide background information. It's available at http://www.usccb.org/vocations/Progr...yFormation.pdf
Old Jan 28, '09, 10:48 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic

It all depends on the Seminary that you attend. Each one will have a different course load for the completion of the Masters of Divinity program.

For the College Seminary you would most likely get a Bachelors degree in Philosophy because the PPF requires 30 credits of Philosophy. Also you would most likely minor in Theology as you need 12 credits.
Old Jan 28, '09, 11:39 am

Here's the formation for a traditional priest in the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter:

Quote:
1. One year of spiritual formation: an initial "year of spirituality" introduces the candidate to the Fraternity, its community life, and a disciplined life of prayer and penance. During this time, the seminarian wears civilian dress and, in close union with his superiors and spiritual director, seeks to discern if he is truly being called to become a priest for this community.

2. Two years of philosophical studies: In order to study theology, a sound philosophical formation is necessary. As many Popes have recommended, the philosophical studies carried out at our seminary are according to the principles and methods of St. Thomas Aquinas. These two years of philosophy are complemented by a number of other subjects such as Latin, Greek, Intro to Scripture, Fundamental Theology and Gregorian Chant. Seminarians take the cassock at the beginning of their second year and become temporary incorporated members of the Fraternity.

3. Four years of theological studies: This is a systematic study of the entire contents of the Catholic faith. The principle work used is the Summa Theologiae of St. Thomas Aquinas; this is augmented by study of the historical and scriptural basis for the Church's explication of dogma, as well as authentic teaching and development that has taken place in subsequent centuries. In addition to Dogmatic and Moral Theology, Exegesis, Liturgy, Church History, Canon Law, and Gregorian Chant are also studied during these years. A semester, or year, of apostolic work is included in the four years.
Here's a link to their site: OLGS

Hope this helps!

Visit me online as God brings Joy to my Youth! Juventutem Orange County
Old Jan 28, '09, 6:20 pm

Religion: Traditioinal Roman Catholic

Here's a link to the translated version of the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest's course of study.

ICRSS course of studies
Old Jan 29, '09, 9:50 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicaDonumDei View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been covered; I searched the threads for it but nothing came up.

In any case, I'm looking for a sample of what courses a seminarian would take along the way to becoming the priest. I'm looking for something beyond, for example, " Year one: Theology I, year two: Theology II"

I'm new to the Catholic Church and strongly feel I have a vocation to try to become a priest, but will most likely have to wait awhile before I can enter a seminary. So I'd like to use the years wisely and start learning on my own.

By the way, does anyone know where to get a copy of the Summa Theologica in Latin (not Latin/English)? Tried Amazon but all I could find was the Fathers of the English Dominican Province edition.
Hi MusicadonumDei,

I am not sure I understand your intentions but it is unlikely that self-study would be accepted for fulfillment of academic requirements in a seminary. You would need to take courses at an accredited university. If you just want to study in order to get a head start, that's good.

As for topics, history of philosophy, (ancient, medieval, modern), Ecclesiology, Fundamental theology, Christology, Moral Theology, anything related to Scripture, Patristics, Doctrine of God, Eschatology, Soteriology, Canon Law, Sacramental Theology, etc...

As for the Summa, I don't know about finding a hard copy but here is an online version:

http://www.corpusthomisticum.org/sth0000.html

Dan
Old Jan 29, '09, 7:16 pm

Dan,

Yes, this would basically just be for self-edification. I'm finishing up a B.M. in Piano Performance right now (graduate this May yay!) but I want to educate myself in theology as much as I can. I just want to know more about God as I begin to know God more. If my self-study helps me on the path to the priesthood then that's great, but if not, then it can only help me as I seek closer union with God.

Thanks for the info; I'll start reading about those topics soon

Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans0622 View Post
Hi MusicadonumDei,

I am not sure I understand your intentions but it is unlikely that self-study would be accepted for fulfillment of academic requirements in a seminary. You would need to take courses at an accredited university. If you just want to study in order to get a head start, that's good.

As for topics, history of philosophy, (ancient, medieval, modern), Ecclesiology, Fundamental theology, Christology, Moral Theology, anything related to Scripture, Patristics, Doctrine of God, Eschatology, Soteriology, Canon Law, Sacramental Theology, etc...

As for the Summa, I don't know about finding a hard copy but here is an online version:

http://www.corpusthomisticum.org/sth0000.html

Dan
Old Dec 1, '11, 1:45 pm
Banned

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

The Most Holy Trinity seminary's curriculum is the best I've seen.

Many of the books they use are freely available online, e.g., Hugon's Cursus Philosophię Thomisticę, Tanquerey's famous manual, Gihr's book on the mass, Garrigou-Lagrange's works, etc.
Old Dec 1, '11, 2:31 pm
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
The Most Holy Trinity seminary's curriculum is the best I've seen.

Many of the books they use are freely available online, e.g., Hugon's Cursus Philosophię Thomisticę, Tanquerey's famous manual, Gihr's book on the mass, Garrigou-Lagrange's works, etc.
I would stick with groups that are in full communion with the Church and not in an irregular status.
Old Dec 1, '11, 10:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
I would stick with groups that are in full communion with the Church and not in an irregular status.
I was only judging the curriculum, not the seminary.
Old Dec 2, '11, 7:14 am
Greeter

Here is the catalog for our Reginal Seminary the course of studies is about half way down the document.

http://www.svdp.edu/_files/pdf/St_Vi...g-2011_web.pdf

bill

My Blog http://thespiritspeakstous.wordpress.com/
Old Dec 2, '11, 8:09 am
Forum Master

Here is the circulum at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit

Bachelor\Philosphy
http://www.aodonline.org/SHMS/Academ...il+Program.htm

M.Div - Theologiate
http://www.aodonline.org/SHMS/Academ...e+of+Study.htm
Old Dec 2, '11, 8:28 am
Forum Master
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I was only judging the curriculum, not the seminary.
I guess I can see that but I would also consider other things that will influence the curriculum.

There are a couple of Orthodox seminaries that I think the curriculum is great at but I would not suggest them in any way to a Catholic as their not being in communion with the Vatican would create a bias that would be evident in the teaching that they do.
Old Dec 2, '11, 10:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCath View Post
There are a couple of Orthodox seminaries that I think the curriculum is great at but I would not suggest them in any way to a Catholic as their not being in communion with the Vatican would create a bias that would be evident in the teaching that they do.
The Orthodox's theology certainly does not agree with Roman Catholicism's on many points. In short, they are not a big fan of St. Thomas Aquinas. Most Holy Trinity seminary's curriculum is certainly Thomistic and Roman Catholic. Does the fact that they use mostly pre-Vatican II theological manuals somehow make them less Roman Catholic? Does criticizing Vatican II liturgical reforms with books like Rev. Anthony Cekada's Work of Human Hands make them less Catholic? I don't think so. They are with the Magisterium; the Orthodox depart from it.
Old Dec 3, '11, 1:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicaDonumDei View Post
Hi everyone,

I don't think the Summa is the best book to start with. It's great and important...and extremely long and complicated- and that's just the English translation. I can't imagine trying to take it all in when it's in Latin. You'll burn yourself out if you're not careful.

If I were you, I would look at reputable Catholic university websites that have their course syllabuses online. Maybe you could get a few of the textbooks for the introductory-level courses.

A nation that kills its own children is a nation without a future.- Pope John Paul II.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations