Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 1, '09, 10:37 am

Religion: Skeptic
Default Re: Obama Deputy Attorney General Nominee: Childbirth Worse Than Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbob View Post
On what things is he to the right of the Democrat party?
Just watch the primary debates and you'll see the candidates the media ignored (Kucinich, Gravel, to an extent Richardson). They were all more radical on Iraq, healthcare etc.

Obama isn't an advocate of universal health care for example. He also isn't anti-war.
I know these are just some things, and I don't consider them as liberal issues, but for this I'm going by the American radar
Old Feb 1, '09, 10:49 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Obama Deputy Attorney General Nominee: Childbirth Worse Than Abortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampben View Post
Just watch the primary debates and you'll see the candidates the media ignored (Kucinich, Gravel, to an extent Richardson). They were all more radical on Iraq, healthcare etc.

Obama isn't an advocate of universal health care for example. He also isn't anti-war.
I know these are just some things, and I don't consider them as liberal issues, but for this I'm going by the American radar

He has the most Liberal voting record in the Senate. He was for immediate withdrawal from Iraq and wanted to cut off all funds to wage the war.He had the most extreme pro- abortion record and views of any major party canidate to ever run for President. I know of nothing in his record trhat can be considered even remotely moderate.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Feb 1, '09, 10:57 am

Quote:
He has the most Liberal voting record in the Senate. He was for immediate withdrawal from Iraq and wanted to cut off all funds to wage the war.He had the most extreme pro- abortion record and views of any major party canidate to ever run for President. I know of nothing in his record trhat can be considered even remotely moderate.
I already said he was an extremeist on abortion. Why is it, Bob, that whenever I discuss things with you you ALWAYS seem to think I'm pro abortion?

I would say on most things Dennis Kucinich is more left than Obama.
Old Feb 1, '09, 11:35 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I already said he was an extremeist on abortion. Why is it, Bob, that whenever I discuss things with you you ALWAYS seem to think I'm pro abortion?

I would say on most things Dennis Kucinich is more left than Obama.

Saying he is to the right of Dennis Kuciinich is far different than your original comment that he was to right of his party on most other things.

I have never said you were pro-abortion. I know you are not.

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Feb 1, '09, 11:45 am

Quote:
Saying he is to the right of Dennis Kuciinich is far different than your original comment that he was to right of his party on most other things.

I have never said you were pro-abortion. I know you are not.
True.

Apologies, you did one time call me an abortion apologist when I mentioned Iraq, but that's behind me now
Old Feb 1, '09, 11:47 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
True.

Apologies, you did one time call me an abortion apologist when I mentioned Iraq, but that's behind me now

There is a huge difference between being an abortion apologist(which alomst all pro-life Democrats are -thats the only way they can justify their votes) and being pro-abortion

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Feb 1, '09, 11:56 am

Quote:
There is a huge difference between being an abortion apologist(which alomst all pro-life Democrats are -thats the only way they can justify their votes) and being pro-abortion
True. Good thing I'm neither then.
Old Feb 1, '09, 12:07 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
True. Good thing I'm neither then.

Agreed!

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Feb 2, '09, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHom View Post
I hate to say this....because I am a rather staunch Catholic, in fact rather "Jesuitical" in nature....

But...y'all need to not jump on a passing wagon load of manure and expect to come out smelling like a rose.... You need to take things with a grain of salt, and if you are a "die-hard self-professed neo-con" go to your nearest drug store and get some smelling salts, because you apparently didn't bother following the links that those people provided.

What you are falling "victim" to is brash neo-con incited vitriol that is senseless...as well as inflammatory, and in the end virtually meaningless as well stupid. If you had followed the links... you would have found these comments made by Obama:

Obama's comments came in the context of off-the-cuff remarks addressing the issue of AIDS. (see them here)

The candidate indicated he favored teaching both abstinence education as well as sexual education and he appeared to be hard-pressed to come up with something else to say when he brought up his daughters.

"When it comes specifically to HIV/AIDS, the most important prevention is education, which should include -- which should include abstinence education and teaching the children -- teaching children, you know, that sex is not something casual," he said.

"But it should also include -- it should also include other, you know, information about contraception because, look, I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old," he added.

"I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby," Obama said.

Take his comments as full statements of a parent, and he is expressing the concerns of a parent...

For the love of "pete".... the guy has been POTUS for less than 2 weeks....give him a chance to find his measure before you start sounding like drunken "dittoheads" speed dialing "Rush"... OK?

And stop expecting the POTUS to solve every ill of the modern world...the "previous one" sure as the dickens didn't!!!

Hmm... I believe I said there are many issues here, but the one that bothered me had nothing to do with the POTUS. I was referring to Ogden (who this article was about) and these comments:

Ogden argued, "Abortion rarely causes or exacerbates psychological or emotional problems. When women do experience regret, depression, or guilt, such feelings are mild and diminish rapidly without adversely affecting general functioning."

"The few women who do experience negative psychological responses after abortion appear to be those with preexisting emotional problems," Ogden claimed.

"In sum, it is grossly misleading to tell a woman that abortion imposes possible detrimental psychological effects when the risks are negligible in most cases," Ogden claimed.

These comments were in an amicus brief Ogden filed - had nothing to do with Obama, nor did my comments. My comments (and the converstation that followed) dealt with a man (Ogden - not Obama) thinking he could know what women experienced when they had an abortion.

I also thought this was a forum where you attacked the post - not the poster.
Old Feb 4, '09, 8:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
His third day in office he released funds to for overseas abortion providers. in addtion to paying for 10s of thousands of abortions the last time these funds were available(under Clinton) they were used by Peru to forcibly sterilize 90,000 poor women. So far the forecast has been correct.
Before I respond to this I have to do some checking....

Quote:
He did ask that funds for contraception be removed from the so called "stimulus" package. However his budget proposals still call for increased spending on "family planning" when the regular budget is worked on later this year. The Republcians(and 11 democrats) did not vote against reducing funding for contraception -it was not even in the bill.
Funny thing is...it was made a definite point of negotiation and the right wing has linked arms and is playing games and acting like spoiled brats, instead of negotiating for the best they can get.

Quote:
Guess we took to heart the message pushed by the left the last 8 years. However he has already assured the deaths of 10s of thousands of overseas children with his executive orders. one does not need to be king to do this.
I find that there is a lot of supposition on what will happen....

Quote:
What affirmative ? Funding for overseas abortions and sterilizations? A trillion dollar pork barrel bill that rewards his political supporters? Overeturning the ban on federal funding of fetal stem cell research? A pledge to overturn don't ask dont tell and DOMA?
I don't know that the money will be used for that.... It may well be used for other items. I honestly don't know, and I'm not playing "dumb".... As far as "pork barrel"....and keep in mind that I am not interested in a political debate....I do have to ask where were all the "protesters" concerned about "pork barrels" when Bush was passing out $700 Billion to the financial industry without the first word about "accountability".... It was nothing but "white collar executive golden parachute coverage".....and we have yet to see any positive effects of that $700 Billion.....in the economy. Homes are being foreclosed on by the hundreds every day.. and it seems that none of the money has been used to stem the tide whatsoever..... http://blog.foreclosuresdaily.com/?p=186

While I may not agree with the sum total usage of much of the money....I have to say that many of the targets are far more appropriate than "bailing out executives bonus plans" and paying for expensive company trips and private planes....

On stem cell research....according to this article it would have been the same regardless who got elected: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/sep/08091905.html
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/iss....stemcell.html
http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2..._spinning.html

On DOMA.....maybe a read of this article will explain his position:
http://www.samesexconflicts.com/blog...rt-doma-2.html

Perhaps some investigation into the "Full Faith and Credit Clause" will give a better understanding of the Constitutional issues vis a vis states rights.

On Don't Ask Don't Tell.... repeal or not, its pretty much immaterial.... I spent 10 years in uniform in the 60's and 70's, in fact I was born into an Army family. There have always been "gays" in the services, and many have served honorably and without problem. They didn't tell, and apparently didn't get asked, or deflected the questions if they were asked, but still served without a problem.

Quote:
Obama is doing exactly what he promised he was going to do. it It is sad to see that those who told us he didnt really mean it continue to claim so even whenh he is doing it.
I have made no such claim.
Old Feb 4, '09, 8:28 pm

Religion: Evangelical Christian, former Protestant
Send a message via Yahoo to Chris LaRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliee View Post
Washington, DC -- President Barack Obama has come under fire for pro-abortion nominations for various positions and now he is drawing heat for nominating a pro-abortion Deputy Attorney General. His nominee David Ogden, is drawing criticism for authoring a Supreme Court brief dismissing negative effects from an abortion.

During the campaign, Obama came under heavy criticism for a comment saying he did not want his daughters punished with a pregnancy -- intimating that abortion would be the preferred course of action.

Now, Obama has appointed a top Justice Department official who appears to feel the same way.

Full story at: http://www.LifeNews.com/nat4804.html
I wonder if this man has addressed this issue with his own mother, who obviously chose childbirth over abortion.

More nutty pro-choice "logic".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice