Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 1, '09, 5:04 am

Religion: Catholic
Default What kind of Christology does Joel Osteen adhere too?

Joel Osteen preaches the Prosperity Gospel. What kind of Christology does he adhere too?

Is he a heretic?

I don't really know too much about Gnosticism but do you think you could compare the Prosperity Gospel to Gnosticism?
Old Feb 1, '09, 6:25 am

Default Re: What kind of Christ does Joel Osteen worship?

Lakewood church as far as I know doesn't claim to belong to any denomination. It was birthed out of the "non-denominational" movement in the early 2000's. Although when his Father was pastor of that same church Im fairly certain it was a Southern Baptist Church. Im sure wikipedia has all the facts.

Now on to the gnosticism. Gnosticism is all about offering some sort of hidden or secret knowledge that was unknown before or that was supposedly concealed. Such as the gnostic gospels (Phillip, Thomas, Peter). There are several pastors who claim to have special insight from God (Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, well about half of the preachers on TBN ) and tell it to their television audiences and congregations about new revelations "from the throne room of God."

I have watched Osteen more then a handful of times and have never heard him proclaim to have special insight never known before. I only hear, 'God wants you healthy, and wealthy. So claim what's already yours in Jesus name. Now go and have a great day because you're loved."
Old Feb 1, '09, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipos View Post
I have watched Osteen more then a handful of times and have never heard him proclaim to have special insight never known before. I only hear, 'God wants you healthy, and wealthy. So claim what's already yours in Jesus name. Now go and have a great day because you're loved."
I never understood this as Jesus told the rich man to sell all that he has and come follow him .... or when Jesus told his disciples to go and preach and bring bring only 1 tunic and don't even bother to bring a spare.

I thougt Jesus wants us wealthy but not in the things of this earth.
Old Feb 1, '09, 7:00 am

My layman's view: Joel Osteen and other highly skilled clergy preach what is called the "prosperity gospel." The essence is that God wants you to be prosperous. As to the Christ they worship, they will point to various biblical references including Jesus parable in Luke 19:11-27. They couple their message with a conservative religious stance that enjoins a more disciplined and well-regulated life that many have never before experienced and contrasts with the "do your own thing," undisciplined, atmosphere that many boomers experienced growing up. Osteen has been quite successful. Many testify to the changes his message has brought to them. Rick Warren and Robert Schuler seem in many ways similar. Osteen's books and Warren's wildly popular, "The Purpose Driven Life," seem to me to address elementary and well-known precepts of Christianity new only to those who were never taught them, or, more likely, weren't paying attention.
I don't find it surprising that leading a disciplined life based on biblical Christian principles leads many to success.
Old Feb 1, '09, 7:08 am

[quote=Phillipos;4750293]

Now on to the gnosticism. Gnosticism is all about offering some sort of hidden or secret knowledge that was unknown before or that was supposedly concealed. Such as the gnostic gospels (Phillip, Thomas, Peter). There are several pastors who claim to have special insight from God (Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, well about half of the preachers on TBN ) and tell it to their television audiences and congregations about new revelations "from the throne room of God."

I partially agree with this but note tht "gnosis" means "knowledge." The gnostics claim that scriptures are not what they seem literally but are only metaphors or keys to hidden knowledge granted to an elect. In my observation Osteen and others tend more toward the view that scriptures are literally true, something Gnostics deny.
Old Feb 1, '09, 8:06 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by I thirst 4 YOU! View Post
Joel Osteen preaches the Prosperity Gospel. What kind of Christology does he adhere too?
The warm, fuzzy Jesus Christology.

Most of his stuff comes out of pop psychology books from the 70s, not the Bible.

Quote:
Is he a heretic?
As a Catholic, I certainly believe his ideas are heretical-- as in not Catholic.

In Catholic teaching, one cannot charge with heresy those who are born into non-Catholic ecclesial communities. Only a Catholic who denies a teaching of the Church can be a formal heretic.

Quote:
I don't really know too much about Gnosticism but do you think you could compare the Prosperity Gospel to Gnosticism?
No, not at all.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 1, '09, 8:10 am

Religion: Buddhist

Quote:

Is he a heretic?

I suspect that he follows Supply Side Jesus.

rossum
Old Feb 1, '09, 12:08 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:

Is he a heretic?

No because the gnostics taught all earthly matter was evil. Some abstained from earthly things as much as humanly possible. While others took the attitude that if it's evil, abuse it and show no respect to it. So some gnostics became gluttons.

Osteen preaches propserity in life through GOD. The problem I have with him is he's not a theological seminary graduate. His writings are more motivational than anything. He probably belongs preaching more to a sales-based organization. Right now his success comes more from those who struggle financially because they want to hear someone tell them scripture says it will all be Ok. I remember reading a breakout of his church attendance and a high percent of the people had financial struggles of some kind. I can't for the life of me remember that source but if I find it I will post it.
Old Feb 1, '09, 12:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgolf View Post
I never understood this as Jesus told the rich man to sell all that he has and come follow him .... or when Jesus told his disciples to go and preach and bring bring only 1 tunic and don't even bother to bring a spare.

I thougt Jesus wants us wealthy but not in the things of this earth.
NC Jesus doesn't care if we're wealthy but it can't come before HIM. He didn't tell the Rich man to sell all his possessions because Jesus wanted him to be poor. The rich man wanted to inherit eternal life and asked Christ what it took. After confirming the rich man obeyed the important commands Jesus rattled off Jesus then said go sell everything and follow me. It was then that the rich man walked away in despair. So the lesson is that the rich man was not willing to give up his possessions to follow Christ. Not that he had to be poor to follow Christ. Nothing we do or have can ever get in the way of us following Christ. That's why Christ says hate your mother. Not to literally hate your mother but that Christ comes first.

Christ does tell us not to build our treasures up here in this life because they can't go with us. Doing that will ultimately hinder you following Christ because all your time then is spent building wealth. Following Christ first and foremost is building your treasure in Heaven because that's where eternal life is.

PEACE
Old Feb 1, '09, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfan View Post
NC Jesus doesn't care if we're wealthy but it can't come before HIM. PEACE
Agreed ... but I get the sense when I read about Osteen's ministry that spiritual growth is tied to a subsequent growth in income or wealth.

We should be thankful for what the Lord has given ... but never measure it against the abundane the Lord may have blessed another.
Old Feb 1, '09, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I thirst 4 YOU!;
What kind of Christology does he adhere too?
He was raised Southern Baptist. His wife was raised Church of Christ. From the content of their messages, I'd suggest that neither adhere to the traditional theology of either group.

Quote:
Is he a heretic?
Heretics are defined by those with whom affiliation is claimed. Furthermore, it applies only when there are disagreements on "the essentials".

Quote:
I don't really know too much about Gnosticism
Gnostics come from a position of "I Know", not "I Believe".

[quotes] but do you think you could compare the Prosperity Gospel to Gnosticism?[/quote]

The Prosperity Gospel is concerned with attaining material things.

Gnosticism is concerned with spiritual attainment. From a Gnostic POV, the material world is a thing to be discarded.

jonathon
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions