Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 2, '09, 10:38 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Marie22
Default Anti-Catholic Bias in the media

Heyy!

I don't know if this thread should go here but oh well!

I am writing a research report on anti-Catholic Bias in the media...and I was wondering if any of you have any idea of where I can go to fine some more information....my thesis for this paper is: "The media has never hidden their anti-Catholic bias, because they interview the most liberal and secular Catholics who will agree with the media's immoral beliefs and give the Catholic Church a bad name."

Also if you have any idea's in correcting my thesis please, PLEASE, do not hesitate - I will use all the help I can get!

Thank you so much!!

Marie22
Old Feb 2, '09, 10:51 pm

Default Re: Anti-Catholic Bias in the media

How about that movie that Bill Mahr did? It is called Religulous. I have only seen the previews. It looks pretty anti-religon but I bet it has some anti-Catholic material in it.

That might be a start...

If I find anything else, I'll post it. I hope all goes well.

Aaron Esco.
Old Feb 3, '09, 2:29 am
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

I have never really thought of this before but I looked up Bill Donahue (who is the president of the Catholic League) and searched media bias on their site:

http://www.catholicleague.org/search.php

Looked like some interesting articles on it. I hope this helps.

Edit: Here are the links that I found. My other link just took you straight to the search function:

MEDIA BIAS AT CNN AND SALON.COM

YAHOO! DISPLAYS BIAS AGAINST CATHOLICS

WHERE’S THE MEDIA OUTCRY?

ANTI-CATHOLIC BIAS AT THE NEW YORK TIMES

SOFT-CORE BIAS

MEDIA BROWNOUT OF MARCH FOR LIFE

That is just a few that I found. I recommend that you type "Media Bias" into the search engine and go from there.

God bless

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Feb 3, '09, 4:11 pm

Thank you so much...this is sooo great!! I appreciate it a lot...and if anyone else has any other ideas or links that i could visit i would be so greatful!

Once again, thank you!

Marie22
Old Feb 3, '09, 5:08 pm

Religion: catholic

http://frontrow.bc.edu/program/jenkins/

This is a presentation by Philip Jenkins, "The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice"

Quote:
Philip Jenkins, professor of history and religious studies at Pennsylvania State University, has written 18 books and more than 100 articles on topics ranging from religion, history, criminal justice, and American studies. In his latest book, The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice (Oxford University Press, 2003), Jenkins suggests that anti-Catholic bigotry has existed in this nation for as long as Catholicism has been practiced here. Over the past few centuries, he says this form of bigotry has become a subtle characteristic of American culture.

English Professor Dennis Taylor introduces Jenkins
Old Feb 3, '09, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie22 View Post
Heyy!

I don't know if this thread should go here but oh well!

I am writing a research report on anti-Catholic Bias in the media...and I was wondering if any of you have any idea of where I can go to fine some more information....my thesis for this paper is: "The media has never hidden their anti-Catholic bias, because they interview the most liberal and secular Catholics who will agree with the media's immoral beliefs and give the Catholic Church a bad name."

Also if you have any idea's in correcting my thesis please, PLEASE, do not hesitate - I will use all the help I can get!

Thank you so much!!

Marie22
- The Da Vinci Code
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose advertisements on TV ("In 19XX, the Vatican approved of the exoricsm of a little girl..."
- Religulous
- Jesus Christ Super Star
- The media coverage of Pope John Paul II's death: NBC had very anti-Catholic callers calling in, and a reporter even said he hopes the new Pope changes the Church's teaching on abortion - and all the reporters agreed with him (I don't think it's coicidence that only anti-Catholic callers were calling in)
- The Golden Compass advertisement ("USCCB approved")
- The ignorance and bias of the media in regards to religion in general, and Catholicism in particular (see Zenit article here)
- Poor Catholic portrayals in television shows (bad priests, people talking during Mass, etc.)
- Van Helsing (movie included a misuse of the Confessional, secret underground lairs in churches, etc.)
- I forget the clothing store, but it was a TV advertisement where a priest was walking down the street, saw a lady in a revealing but not immodest dress, lusted after her, and kept walking, smiling (a very poor portrayal of priests)
- Priest vestments being displayed at fashion shows, which is quite sacrilgeous
- King Arthur (movie depicted Catholics as torturing pagans unto conversion during the Middle Ages)
- Jack Chick (anti-Catholic comic books)
- There was a comic I read at an Amazing Comic book store that showed "monks" using a Satantic ritual to recieve power, and a Jesus Christ-look-a-like demon appeared to them and gave them power
- A vampire movie I once saw on TV that depicted a priest using a cross to crucify another priest to Satan so he could recieve occult power
- Dogma
- Priest
- The Life of Brian
- The book "Change of Heart" (learn more here)
- Yahoo! News frequently includes articles that bash or belittle religion or religious objects (such as the Cross of Saint Francis article)

That's off the top of my head. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Last edited by Eucharisted; Feb 3, '09 at 5:36 pm.
Old Feb 3, '09, 5:28 pm
Forum Elder

The New Anti-Catholicism the Last Acceptable Prejudice

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Feb 3, '09, 5:30 pm
Veteran Member

Go to Catholic Radio and find past interviews done on this topic.
http://www.relevantradio.com/Page.as...=469&srcid=534
Old Feb 3, '09, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie22 View Post
"The media has never hidden their anti-Catholic bias, because they interview the most liberal and secular Catholics who will agree with the media's immoral beliefs and give the Catholic Church a bad name."

Thank you so much!!
Marie22[/font]
I don't agree with all the points of your thesis, and I wouldn't phrase it the way you did. You make it sound like people in the media have malice against the Church, but that's usually not the case. I lean more towards the opinion that the media has deep-seated and un-examined prejudices towards the Church, so deep that they can't perceive their own biases and prejudices. I don't think malice is their motive; I just don't think they know any better. I suggest you rephrase your thesis in a way that avoids judging the media's motives and beliefs so harshly. I fear if you leave your thesis the way it is now, your teacher may just dismiss you as another conspiracy-theory crackpot.

Maybe you can simplify your thesis by saying: the media takes shots at the Catholic Church it wouldn't dare take at any other religion or ethnic group or special interest group. Then show, by comparison, the measured way the media deals with groups such as the gays or the Muslims and compare that to the way it deals with Catholics. Bill Donahue from the Catholic League uses this approach all the time.

Another book that may give insight into media bias is called Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes how the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg.
http://www.amazon.com/Bias-Insider-E.../dp/0060520841
Old Feb 3, '09, 6:22 pm

Here's a 2-page article that may be helpful:

http://www.catholic.org/national/nat...y.php?id=31225

“The Media and Misreporting Religion”

Also, another book:

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Spot-Whe.../dp/0195374371

Blind Spot: When Journalists Don't Get Religion by Paul Marshall

You can listen to Paul Marshall here:

http://www.relevantradio.com/Page.as...&cdt=1/12/2009

From the The Drew Mariani Show on January 12.

Last edited by Janet S; Feb 3, '09 at 6:38 pm.
Old Feb 4, '09, 7:44 am
Forum Elder

A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Feb 5, '09, 1:10 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

"if the world hates you, know that it hated me before it hated you." Jn 15:18

They hated the Truth, Jesus Christ, so much that they murdered Him!

A little secular media bias is a joke, it is nothing.

"..rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name." Acts 5:41

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

(JOHN 6:35 & 48)

"For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God. . . . His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths." (CCC 1776).
Old Feb 6, '09, 8:16 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Yup, that's the book I'd also recommend.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Feb 6, '09, 1:23 pm

Oh this is soooo great!!! Thank you all so much for helping me with this... I don't know how to show you my appreciation!

Thank you again!! I am so excited to write this paper now... God Bless each and everyone of you!

Marie22
Old Feb 6, '09, 4:32 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet S View Post
I don't agree with all the points of your thesis, and I wouldn't phrase it the way you did. You make it sound like people in the media have malice against the Church, but that's usually not the case. I lean more towards the opinion that the media has deep-seated and un-examined prejudices towards the Church, so deep that they can't perceive their own biases and prejudices. I don't think malice is their motive; I just don't think they know any better. I suggest you rephrase your thesis in a way that avoids judging the media's motives and beliefs so harshly. I fear if you leave your thesis the way it is now, your teacher may just dismiss you as another conspiracy-theory crackpot.

Maybe you can simplify your thesis by saying: the media takes shots at the Catholic Church it wouldn't dare take at any other religion or ethnic group or special interest group. Then show, by comparison, the measured way the media deals with groups such as the gays or the Muslims and compare that to the way it deals with Catholics. Bill Donahue from the Catholic League uses this approach all the time.

Another book that may give insight into media bias is called Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes how the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg.
http://www.amazon.com/Bias-Insider-E.../dp/0060520841
I don't think they're quite so innocent or free of malice as you seem to think.

But anything that exposes media bias is all to the good.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media