Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 5, '09, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Objects moving by themselves

Hello, CAF

I am in a bit of a spiritual pickle.

Demons are moving things around in my house. First, they moved a box I had in my room. Then they moved my toilet seat up (very loudly). They have also knocked loudly on the wood frame of my bed, and I think they've also moved a few of my chairs (not sure on the last one since it was late at night).

I can't contact a priest to have them come over and perform an exorcism, though I want this. I could contact my spiritual director, but he is far away, though would it be wise to do so and ask him to come over? Satan has done some things in the past to prevent me from seeing my spiritual director, so I'm pretty sure he'll do the same if Father Chris comes.

The weird thing about all these occurances is that they only happen when I give into sin, usually vain-glory. I think it's a sign from God that I need to go to Confession, but I don't know where my nearest church is. I know of a Prostant church, though. But I am also afraid of going, which I believe the devil is the source of - the fear, not the going - so that I won't recieve the Mercy of God.

Please keep me in your prayers, everyone. I'm going to contact Father right now. Thank you and God bless!
Old Feb 5, '09, 1:16 pm

Default Re: Objects moving by themselves

Do you think this could possibly have something to do with your girlfriend being Wiccan?

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Feb 5, '09, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucharisted View Post
Hello, CAF

Demons are moving things around in my house. First, they moved a box I had in my room. Then they moved my toilet seat up (very loudly). They have also knocked loudly on the wood frame of my bed, and I think they've also moved a few of my chairs (not sure on the last one since it was late at night).

I can't contact a priest to have them come over and perform an exorcism, though I want this. I could contact my spiritual director, but he is far away, though would it be wise to do so and ask him to come over? Satan has done some things in the past to prevent me from seeing my spiritual director, so I'm pretty sure he'll do the same if Father Chris comes.

The weird thing about all these occurances is that they only happen when I give into sin, usually vain-glory. I think it's a sign from God that I need to go to Confession, but I don't know where my nearest church is. I know of a Prostant church, though. But I am also afraid of going, which I believe the devil is the source of - the fear, not the going - so that I won't recieve the Mercy of God.

Please keep me in your prayers, everyone. I'm going to contact Father right now. Thank you and God bless!
Well, that I can help you with. go to masstimes.org and you can type in your city and it'll give you a list of all the Catholic churches around along with their confession times.

As far as the rest of the advice I may have, say an Act of Contrition and the St. Michael prayer as soon as you realize you've sinned. Say them like you mean it though

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.
Old Feb 5, '09, 2:42 pm

You've got to be kidding me

Adoption is the loving choice
praying for those waiting to adopt

http://www.christianadopt.org/
Old Feb 5, '09, 3:15 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

Quote:
Hello, CAF

sorry if this comes off as rude, don't mean it to be, but i don't understand how you can be Catholic and not know where the nearest Church is. is Father Chris a Catholic priest?

the Churches are listed in your yellow pages and also online.
Old Feb 5, '09, 3:34 pm

First, a word of thanks to God for giving me this circumstance, and a word of thanks for all your posts and prayers.

Second, I am going to go to masstimes.org now and try to find my parish; it is difficult to find because it dosen't look like the traditional parishes I'm used to seeing, I think; it could be, I think, more modern in architecture, and that might be why I missed it. Umless my parish is the giant gray castle on the street corner...

Third, I just went to masstimes.org and...it gives the location of Saint Matthew Parish, so I'm gonna check it. I hope that's the right parish, because I don't want to go to a Protestant service and offend God by participating in something not Catholic on Sundays. My trust in You, O Lord!

Fourth, I don't suspect that my girlfriend is putting any, like, curses on me. She rarely uses magic (she's not that much into Wiccanism, I think it's more of where her family is Wiccan so she had to join the order too kinda thing). I honestly believe my lack of going to Confession is the problem, so I'll have to stop that awful habit!

Fifthly, I hope none of this demonic activity news leaves CAF, because I don't want to attract attention. But on the other hand, if God permits it, than I must submit to His Will and be a good instrument, otherwise I would be selfish and wasting a circumstance for His greater glory. Nonetheless, I can do nothing without Him - Lord, Your Will be done: Be my strength and my help!
Old Feb 5, '09, 3:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Hi,

I'm kind of confused, what parish do you go to on Sundays for Mass? Can't you just contact the priest there?

if you can only contact your spiritual director, do that, and pray lots for protection that the devil wouldn't try to stop it from happening.

I think if a priest came to your house and blessed it with holy water it would help....

I think you should go and get some holy water and keep it in your house as well.

Go to Confession..

As for your girlfriend.. I actually read that even if a person is not putting curses on you, demons can still get attached to where you live etc just by association. Whenever people do witchcraft, there are demons involved.

Say the St Michael prayer...

do you have any sacramentals? wear a blessed crucifix, and whatever else, maybe get a scapular too?

lol I don't know... are you SURE it's demonic? (I know such things do happen but I also know sometimes we make mistakes).

God bless.

"I know but one thing now - to love Thee, O Jesus!" St Therese
Old Feb 5, '09, 3:53 pm
Forum Elder

Has your house been blessed? Do you have a Blessed Crucifix in it? Do you have Holy Water?

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Feb 5, '09, 3:59 pm

I have holy water, statues of Our Lady of Fatima and of Saint Michael and of the Holy Child, I have a rosary and the Immaculate Conception medal (can't wear medal, no string), a crucifix (can't wear it for same reason), and a Brown Scapular.

I put on my Scapular, by the inspiration of God. (See? God is answeing my prayers by giving me the grace to be docile to His inspirations! Praise be to Him!) It has Jesus' Heart on one piece, and Mary and the Child on the other piece. Is this normal for a Brown Scapular? Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 5, '09, 4:24 pm
Prayer Warrior

I was holding off on responding because I was completely baffled as to why Eucharisted might have a demonic infestation in his home. Then I saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Unaware View Post
Do you think this could possibly have something to do with your girlfriend being Wiccan?
And there it is. I didn't know about the Wiccan girlfriend. Generally if there is a demonic disturbance such as Eucharisted is describing, somebody has been messing around in the occult. It just didn't make sense to me that someone like Eucharisted would have done such a thing. Now I see the connection.

Quote:
Fourth, I don't suspect that my girlfriend is putting any, like, curses on me. She rarely uses magic (she's not that much into Wiccanism, I think it's more of where her family is Wiccan so she had to join the order too kinda thing).
Eucharisted, this rationalization is like saying "she's not that much into crystal meth." I think it would be in your best interest to end this relationship. Even if she quits Wicca tomorrow, her family's being into it is a big problem.

The fact that she "rarely" uses magic doesn't mean diddly. Demons will take any little opening and kick the door wide open. Participation in the occult is behind many cases of demonization.

I strongly recommend that you have your house blessed and then break off this relationship.

You can find a house blessing and some other helpful prayers for this situation in the Spiritual Warfare Prayer Catalog.
Old Feb 6, '09, 12:53 am
Banned

Religion: Other

Fourth, I don't suspect that my girlfriend is putting any, like, curses on me. She rarely uses magic (she's not that much into Wiccanism, I think it's more of where her family is Wiccan so she had to join the order too kinda thing). I honestly believe my lack of going to Confession is the problem, so I'll have to stop that awful habit!

_______

Where did you get the idea it would have to be your girlfriend doing her spells on you?

Just the fact that you are emotionally involved with her PLUS apparently being absent from the Sacraments will open the door to demonic infestation (if that's what it is).
Old Feb 6, '09, 5:15 am
Prayer Warrior

Are you certain that these events are actually taking place? Could you be imagining these things, or attributing natural occurances to the demonic?

Firstly, I would rule out every natural possibility before concluding that these episodes are supernatural. You must discern whether the phenomena is actually supernatural before you begin to seek out a supernatural solution.

Try to document the phenomena. Take photographs in the areas where the supposed supernatural activity occured. Record any noises you hear, and even record noises in your house when you are not home. Keep a diary with the dates and times of any supernatural activity. All of this data will be useful in determining whether you have an authentic haunting.

If it turns out that you have a genuine haunting after you have conducted this research, then you can approach a priest and ask for help. He will be more likely to help you if you can prove that you actually have a supernatural problem.

In the meantime, I suggest the following:
  • Attend Mass and Confession weekly.
  • Pray the Rosary daily for deliverance and strength.
  • Pray the St. Michael prayer
  • Recite Psalm 91 daily for strength and encouragement.
  • Regularly read and meditate on the Scriptures.
  • Have your home blessed by a priest.
  • Place a religious item in every room.
  • Never command the spirit directly.
  • Do not argue or fight with your loved ones.
  • Never challenge the spirits.
  • Stop engaging in any wiccan ceremonies or rituals.
  • Have a deep prayer life.
  • Fast at least once per week for deliverance.
  • Pray for the spirits who haunt your home. They may be souls in purgatory who are desperate for your help.

Magnificat anima mea Dominum. Et exultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo.
Old Feb 6, '09, 5:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1919 View Post
If it turns out that you have a genuine haunting after you have conducted this research, then you can approach a priest and ask for help. He will be more likely to help you if you can prove that you actually have a supernatural problem.
It's not necessary to do ghost hunting or prove anything in order to get help from a priest. Just tell your priest strange things are happening in your house and ask for a blessing for yourself and a house blessing.

Dempsey's list of suggestions of things to do at the end of his post are all excellent suggestions.

Dempsey - just a technical correction - demons are not supernatural, they are preternatural. Only God is supernatural.
Old Feb 6, '09, 7:20 am
Book Club Member

You are in my prayers.

I hesitate to give advice especially since you've said only a little but here is what comes to my thoughts.

You may not be ready to hear this but the girlfriend is the red flag.

It doesn't matter if she isn't trying to curse you, she and the whole family are the problem. They have to go.

I doubt there's going to be a sudden conversion or something here. So.

Detachment is key.

Confession is important. Two weeks minimum, more preferred.

Try to say the rosary daily. If you have three major prayers like it spread out through the day and daily mass you will be fighting back the demons.

In your habits live for spiritual virtues and not material things, serving God is to be where you find your happiness.

It is not impossible that an exorcist could help you. Your director might be able to find one to help.

If you're not practising, you must become a practising Catholic.

Finally, and this is perhaps one of the other most important parts of defeating this.

You must live a life that is sacred and not profane. Understand the word 'sacred', its depth of meaning. Think of 'clean' and 'unclean' in scripture. A key to it is separation, apart from worldly things, dedication to God. Think of words like consecration.

Consider what you keep in your soul and in the house.

ANYTHING IN THE HOUSE THAT COULD DISPLEASE GOD HAS TO GO.

One standard that helps is to think of a church and whether it would be a good idea to have whatever object it is in the church. If it would not. . .

Out with it.

A difficult matter for many people with luxurious collections of.. worldly treasures. God help your soul.

Amen amen. Ave Maria. I am not worthy. Ave Maria. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, orate pro nobis.
Old Feb 6, '09, 9:45 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would have to second the belief that a girlfriend who practices Wicca might be the problem. We should not be "unequally yoked" with unbelievers. I think that means that until she determines that she is willing to live by the rules of God and seek him for herself in her own way, then it is better to be friends, unless St. Rita is a possible model for your life that you suspect that Christ might be calling you to imitate. Otherwise, you might fall into the danger of idolizing her and letter her lead you little by little by little away from God instead of you leading her little by little by little into the arms of Christ through Mary.

Do not be yoked with those who are different, with unbelievers. FOr what partnership do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? What accord has Christ with Beliar? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said: "I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people. Therefore, come forth them and be separate," says the Lord, "and touch nothing unclean; then I will receive you and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

One way to know if you are idolizing something: can you do what Abraham did and sacrifice Issac for Christ? or what Mary did and allow Joseph to refuse to marry her and let herself live under the threat of single motherhood and stoning? Is your love for her a disinterested love?

From St. Louis Grignon Marie de Montfort in True Devotion to Mary
Quote:
110. Fifth, true devotion to Mary is disinterested.
It inspires us to seek God in his Blessed Mother and not ourselves. The true subject of Mary does not serve his illustrious Queen for selfish gain. He doe snot serve her for temporal or eternal well-being but simply and soley because she has the right to be served and God alone in her. He loves her not so much because she is good to him or because he expects something from her, but simply because she is lovable. THat is why he loves and serves her just as faithfully in weariness and dryness of soul as in sweet and sensible fervour. He loves her as much on Calvary as at Cana. How pleasing and precious in the sight of GOd and his holy Mother must these servants of Mary be, who serve her without any self-seeking. How rare they are nowadays! It is to increase their number that I have taken up my pen to write down what I have been teaching with success both publicly and in private in my missions for many years.
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin http://www.fisheaters.com/totalconse...nmontfort.html

Maybe helpful words and remember the promises of the bible.
Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, there is no one who has given up house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands for my sake and for the sake of the gospel who will not receive a hundred times more now in this present age: houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and eternal life in the age to come. But many that are first will be last, and (the) last will be first." Mark 10:29-31

St. Padre Pio, "Who can assure us that we will be alive tomorrow? Let us listen to the voice of our conscience, to the voice of the royal prophet: "Today, if you hear God's voice, harden not your heart." Let us not put off from one moment to another (what we should do) because the (next moment) is not yet ours."

"Oh, how precious time is! Blessed are those who know how to make good use of it. Oh, if only all could understand how precious time is, undoubtedly everyone would do his best to spend it in a praiseworthy manner!"

The more you are afflicted, the more you ought to rejoice, because in the fire of tribulation the soul will become pure gold, worthy to be placed and to shine in the heavenly place.

Jesus permits the spiritual combat as a purification, not as a punishment. The trial is not unto death but unto salvation.

Do you know what religion is? It is a school in which every soul must be trained, smoothed and polished by the Holy Spirit, who acts as a physician to our souls until, well smoothed and polished, they can be united and joined to the will of God... Religion is an infirmary for the spiritually sick, who wish to be cured and must therefore undergo the pains of surgery.

http://www.padrepiodevotions.org/ind...e=wordsoffaith

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality