Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 11, '09, 12:57 pm

Default "Here I am, waiting like a lover"

What do you think about the use of Tom Booth's "Here I Am" in the Catholic Mass?

I have never liked the phrase, "Here I am, waiting like a lover." We have an image of God as a Father and God the Son as a Brother. Christ is the Bridegroom of the Church. Women in consecrated life are brides of Christ.

This song was written recently, and in a modern context, the word "lover" commonly alludes to a romantic and/or sexual relationship.

You can find the complete lyrics here: http://www.spiritandsong.com/musicondemand/songs/16163

I mean, the song, in terms of melody, isn't awfully bad...but what are some opinions of this specific phrase?
Old Feb 11, '09, 1:03 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Here I am, waiting like a lover"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPUSC View Post
What do you think about the use of Tom Booth's "Here I Am" in the Catholic Mass?

I have never liked the phrase, "Here I am, waiting like a lover." We have an image of God as a Father and God the Son as a Brother. Christ is the Bridegroom of the Church. Women in consecrated life are brides of Christ.

This song was written recently, and in a modern context, the word "lover" commonly alludes to a romantic and/or sexual relationship.

You can find the complete lyrics here: http://www.spiritandsong.com/musicondemand/songs/16163

I mean, the song, in terms of melody, isn't awfully bad...but what are some opinions of this specific phrase?
I would play it in my car and at home. But for the Liturgy - it is garbage.
Old Feb 11, '09, 1:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

This is a metaphor as old as the Bible itself.

The Song of Solomon is an allegory about the relationship of Christ and the Soul in terms of lovers and romance.
Old Feb 11, '09, 1:08 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluny View Post

The Song of Solomon is an allegory about the relationship of Christ and the Soul in terms of lovers and romance.
I was going to say...and St. John of the Cross' poetry portrayed the relationship of Christ to the soul in about the same manner.

I think the song is fine for Mass, though it is by no means my favorite.
Old Feb 11, '09, 1:13 pm

Quote:

I agree. My post was not denigrating the lyrics, but rather the style and placement during Mass. Where does it go? And the problem with music like this is that not everyone can sing it. How can people join in if they are discouraged by the sophistication of a particular song? That is why we have the hymns and songs of old. They are written in such a way that people can sing them - people who do not come to practice twice a week and are not professionally trained.

Mass is not a performance for people who style themselves Christian?Catholci troubadors.

Boy - when did I turn into a curmudgeon!?
Old Feb 11, '09, 1:15 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smiter View Post
That is why we have the hymns and songs of old. They are written in such a way that people can sing them - people who do not come to practice twice a week and are not professionally trained.

Very measured, no time changes, a definite rythmn...and free from heresy or near-heresy!
Old Feb 11, '09, 2:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

When I have scheduled this piece at Mass it's always as a communion song. The idea of Christ waiting for us "as a lover" (in the Eastern tradition God is referred to as "the lover of mankind") is quite consistent with the participation in the divine life that is implicit in the reception of Holy Communion.

Deacon Ed
Old Feb 11, '09, 2:28 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Ed View Post
When I have scheduled this piece at Mass it's always as a communion song. The idea of Christ waiting for us "as a lover" (in the Eastern tradition God is referred to as "the lover of mankind") is quite consistent with the participation in the divine life that is implicit in the reception of Holy Communion.

Deacon Ed
I think it sounds like a beautiful Communion song. Aren't we taught that the marital embrace mirrors the complete self-giving between God and the soul in Communion?

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Feb 11, '09, 2:36 pm

Quote:

they played that song during mass last sunday... i think it was a nice melody, but the "waiting like a lover" seemed a little out of place... and some young teens behind us started giggling. >.>

Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis
Old Feb 11, '09, 4:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

My post was not denigrating the lyrics, but rather the style and placement during Mass. Where does it go? And the problem with music like this is that not everyone can sing it.

________

Since I've not heard it, I can't say anything about it.
Old Feb 11, '09, 5:16 pm

Quote:
My post was not denigrating the lyrics, but rather the style and placement during Mass. Where does it go? And the problem with music like this is that not everyone can sing it.

________
Since I've not heard it, I can't say anything about it.
It's beautiful for preparation of the gifts or communion.

it's a lullaby. Perfect placement, and yes, everyone can sing it. They do at my church...very well.
Old Feb 11, '09, 6:16 pm
Banned

Quote:

## Yes, if we let it - but why should we ? "This Tremendous Lover" is an excellent title for a book on God's Love written (IIRC) about 70 years ago - it describes the contents briefly, tellingly, memorably, and, above all, evocatively. To drop the word is to impoverish our capacity for saying what Christ came to do - it's bad enough that the word is - quite mistakenly - though by some (even by some Christians) to be weak, unmanly, or effete, when the fact is that nothing could possibly be stronger, more bracing, more dangerous, more creative & life-giving, or less limited; so to avoid the use of it would be anything but wise.
Quote:

## It makes God seem passive, which He is not.
Old Feb 11, '09, 6:40 pm

The Mass is prayer, so if the music isn't prayer, it's not right for the Mass.

I prefer the song Here I Am, Lord better.
Old Feb 11, '09, 6:46 pm

Quote:

I have never liked the phrase, "Here I am, waiting like a lover."

I don't like the phrase "Here I am, waiting like a lover."
It should say "Here I Am, your Lover."
Old Feb 11, '09, 6:46 pm

I never really cared for this song. I find the melody extremely repetitive and annoying.

This particular song was addressed in an article from the November 2008 issue of This Rock on bad liturgical music. It's frank, but I think it's pretty funny!

From Bad Poetry, Bad Theology by Anthony Esolen
Then it is the Boyfriend Jesus they want, the carpenterís son who has shoulders broad enough to keep the toughs away, but who is also tender enough to make a girl feel really appreciated:
Here I am, standing right beside you.
Here I am; do not be afraid.
Here I am, waiting like a lover.
I am here, here I am . . .
I am here in every warm embrace.
I am here with tenderness and mercy . . .
I am here when pardoning your brother.
Here I am, I am here. ("Here I Am")
The dangling gerund "pardoning" gives the game away. Who is pardoning your brother? It is both God and "you"óor either, or does it make a grammatical or theological difference? I am, you are . . . whatís a little pronoun and a copula, between lovers?

This is not the bridal imagery of God and Israel used in the Song of Songs and Hosea, and not the extension of that imagery to refer to Christ as Bridegroom of the Church. It is the language of ancient mystery cult, of the moon goddess Diana gazing upon the sleek limbs of the lad Endymion sleeping on the hillside. But that shift reflects the strange singing of Godís part by the congregation, and the attribution of manís words to God: "Here I am," said Samuel to the Lord, but "Here I am," says the Lord to the timid beloved, like a Boy Scout of the pagans, always prepared.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments