Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 13, '09, 6:11 pm

Religion: Christian Catholic
Post Can a non catholic participate in Ash Wednesday @ a Catholic Parish?

Personally I was wondering if it was possible for a non-catholic to participate in ash wed. or Lent?

I have a close friend who is deeply interested in becoming Catholic. However, my friend has not yet taken RICA classes,but plans to in the next enrollment cycle.

As a note I am aware that my freind can not accpet the Eurcharist as of yet,but I was asked if one could still attend service on ash wed.,recieve ash and participate in Lent.

Hence, to elaborate on my question, can one who is planning to become catholic still accept the sign of ash on their forhead on ash wed. and also participate in the period of Lent even though they can not recieve the Holy Eurcharist yet?

Lord,make me an instrument of thy peace; that where there is hatred, I may bring love; where there is injury, pardon;...where there is doubt, faith-St. Francis of Assisi
Old Feb 13, '09, 6:15 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Can a non catholic participate in Ash Wednesday @ a Catholic Parish?

Yes. Ashes are a sacramental, not a sacrament, and so they can be used by non-Catholics as an aid in their devotion to God.
Old Feb 13, '09, 6:16 pm

Default Re: Can a non catholic participate in Ash Wednesday @ a Catholic Parish?

Yes, there is no problem here at all. The ashes are a "sacramental," meaning they can be received or used by anyone, Catholic or not. Sacramentals (small "s") include such things as holy water, rosaries, and prayer cards, as well as ashes. They are intended to bring us closer to God but are not Sacraments in themselves. To receive ashes is similar to receiving a blessing at Mass (though more visible afterward). Infants and young children also regularly receive ashes, though they cannot receive the Eucharist.
Old Feb 13, '09, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PasionCatechist View Post
Personally I was wondering if it was possible for a non-catholic to participate in ash wed. or Lent?

I have a close friend who is deeply interested in becoming Catholic. However, my friend has not yet taken RICA classes,but plans to in the next enrollment cycle.

As a note I am aware that my freind can not accpet the Eurcharist as of yet,but I was asked if one could still attend service on ash wed.,recieve ash and participate in Lent.

Hence, to elaborate on my question, can one who is planning to become catholic still accept the sign of ash on their forhead on ash wed. and also participate in the period of Lent even though they can not recieve the Holy Eurcharist yet?
Yes. They can. In fact that's a very good thing to happen because it brings them closer to becoming members of the Church someday.
Old Feb 13, '09, 6:18 pm
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Anybody, Catholic or not, can receive ashes on Ash Wednesday. The blessed ashes are not a Sacrament, only a sacramental.

Fr. Benedict Groeschel, a friar in the Bronx, NY, often quips that Ash Wednesday services are heavily attended in New York City, where even Jews, Muslims, and non-believers show up in droves to get their ashes.

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Feb 13, '09, 8:41 pm
Forum Elder

Yes, if they understand the ashes are symbolic of their intent to do penance during Lent and do not have some magic of their own.

Sacraments contain power within themselves; Sacramentals enhance the prayers of the recipient.
Old Feb 13, '09, 9:18 pm

Not only are non-Catholics invited to "be ashed" during the Ash Wednesday liturgy, but they are welcome to attend ANY Catholic Mass, any day.
Old Feb 23, '09, 4:49 am

I understand non Catholics can receive ashes but can the unbaptized receive ashes?
Old Feb 23, '09, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by easleyatc View Post
I understand non Catholics can receive ashes but can the unbaptized receive ashes?
Yes, for the same reason, to bring them closer to baptism someday.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments