Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 14, '09, 10:14 am
Observing Member

Religion: searching
Send a message via MSN to emmygirl62
Default When do RCIA classes usually start?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was just wondering when RCIA classes usually start. Is it the same in every church or different? I've been to Mass before, but it's awkward for me because of how shy I am and the fact I have no clue what I'm really doing. I'd like to go to RCIA classes first, get to know some people, and then start attending Mass regularly.

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, '09, 10:17 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic in the making...
Default Re: When do RCIA classes usually start?

I believe it is normal for most churches to start in about mid-August.

Old Feb 14, '09, 10:54 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmygirl62 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was just wondering when RCIA classes usually start. Is it the same in every church or different? I've been to Mass before, but it's awkward for me because of how shy I am and the fact I have no clue what I'm really doing. I'd like to go to RCIA classes first, get to know some people, and then start attending Mass regularly.

Thanks!
Some Parishes run them year round. Others start right after the previous years Mystagogy period is over. Mystagogy is a period of time after Easter when the newly initiated are brought more fully into the faith. The formal time frame isn't really set but I would say they usually run about two months or so. Other Parishes, in fact I think most of them, start in August.
Old Feb 14, '09, 11:26 am

Religion: catholic

In our parish people can start anytime. We go year round, although meet less frequently in the summer due to vacation schedules.
Old Feb 14, '09, 12:41 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Thanks!
RCIA Inquiry sessions should start shortly after you ask about them they should begin with a personal interview and an assignment of a Sponsor unless you already have a Sponsor in mind. . Many parishes however improperly put people off until the fall and then rush everyone through in 6 months.
Old Feb 15, '09, 4:19 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:

Thanks!
they are supposed to be year-round and new inquireres are supposed to be welcome to join an informal session, which is just that, questions and basic answers and discussion, at any time during the year. Formal instruction, the period of catechesis called the catechumenate, begins usually at a set time with a formal rite, to allow enough time of preparation before initiation at Easter. This is supposed to be at least a full calendar year, or at the minimum about 9 months. So inquirers might spend more time in that initial period until the formal class begins.

But nobody should ever be told "call us back in September". however what individual parishes do, is what they are able to do, given resources in space and personnel.

If you have been told, "come back in September" I suggest attending Mass regularly to watch and listen, particularly to the readings but also to everything, since everything the Church teaches is contained in the Mass in capsule form. You might also pick up an easy book like Catholicism for Dummies, which will answer a lot of your basic questions, and begin reading the bible, starting with Mark's gospel.

Welcome home!

I also recommend, as well as attending Mass--just watch and listen at first, don't worry about participating--to sign up for anything going on like a service project or social event. help serve a meal to the poor, build houses, work on fund-raiser, attend a pot-luck etc. That is a painless way to spend time with people and begin some new aquaintences.
Old Feb 15, '09, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was just wondering...................!
Call the RCIA Director ask to attend as a visitor if the program is seasonal. Ask for a sponsor who can help you as know little and would need to be taught the order of mass first thing. Often a seasoned sponsor can assist you now.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 28, '11, 9:13 am

Isn't it sad that most RCIA classes start in September. I have a 9 year old grandson that I've been given permission to start the RCIA classes but he has to wait until then. And we are surrounded by JW's who keep trying to convert him to their faith. Unfortunately, they are inlaws, so my daughter can't keep him away from them.
Old Mar 28, '11, 10:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tperri View Post
Isn't it sad that most RCIA classes start in September. I have a 9 year old grandson that I've been given permission to start the RCIA classes but he has to wait until then. And we are surrounded by JW's who keep trying to convert him to their faith. Unfortunately, they are inlaws, so my daughter can't keep him away from them.
It is sad I agree but, there aren't a great deal of options in most parishes. We had to wait quite a while to start as we came back to Mass in Jan of 2010 but could not start RCIA until Fall of the same year. Now, we are approaching Easter and looking forward to coming into the Church at that time. Parishes only have so many people to go around and are dealing with shoestring budgets, etc. It is simply not going to be possible for a parish to individualize the process with the lack of resources most of them are facing. Furthermore, going through the process as a group can be quite good in many ways. My wife and I have learned a great deal from the questions that our other class members have asked and over the last 7 months or so a strong sense of community has been developed between the candidates/catechumens/elect, the team members, and the sponsors. Some good friendships have been developed as a result also that would not have happened had things been done individually.

One thing you can certainly do is talk to he Pastor and the RCIA coordinator. There are often issues that you need to get taken care of before you can come into the Church completely and they can sometimes take a good deal of time. Annulments, con-validation of marriage, proof of baptism, etc. are all examples of those types of things. From what we were told in our group, Annulments can take up to two years to be resolved sometimes! If you are required to wait until the Fall to start the RCIA program you could at least start working on any of those things which you might have which could slow down your ability to come into the Church. That way, when you DO start RCIA, you will be able to focus on learning the teachings of the Church and your growth as a Christian rather than worrying about taking care of other things which might serve as a distraction.

Also, others have given some good advice when they suggested attending Mass regularly and starting to learn the Faith. Buy a copy of the Catechism and start going through it. That way, when you begin RCIA, you will be able to ask good questions and dig even deeper into the material.

Its a long process anything worth doing often is and this is certainly worth doing correctly.

Good luck and God Bless!
Old Mar 28, '11, 10:38 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
It i

One thing you can certainly do is talk to he Pastor and the RCIA coordinator. There are often issues that you need to get taken care of before you can come into the Church completely and they can sometimes take a good deal of time. Annulments, con-validation of marriage, proof of baptism, etc. are all examples of those types of things.

!
excellent advice
RCIA is supposed to start any time someone asks, and they remain in the inquiry phase until the next class of catechumens is ready to start, and that is supposed to be not less than one calendar year, from lent to the following Lent and Easter. RCIA was never envisioned to be locked into a school year model. If your parish has not the resources to do this however--in many parishes here for instance the entire religious education department closes down and there is no paid staff over the summer--use this time for your own "inquiry" period--and of course here at CA is the right place to start.

It has become too cumbersome to start people, especially children at any time during the year, so we form new Inquiry classes in May, September, and January, with the rite of acceptance into the catechumenate sometime after Easter the year before they expect to be baptized. The first thing we do however is a referral to the deacon for a complete interview so we can begin to deal with things like marriage issues and other things that might pose an impediment. We also make sure we understand the needs of all family members, so there is no undue burden--several classes each week, for instance.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization