Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 15, '09, 3:19 am

Default Muhammad , hafsa, Aisha and the slave-girl Mary

Ok, we see that Muhammad had desire for a married woman but tried to conceal it, yet Allah reprimands him by saying he cannot conceal his desire for a married woman. This is obviously opposing both OT and NT and is put under the category of adultry but the point is that Allah saved Muhammad from the scandal by saying it is ok.

Now let us see what happened between Hafsa, Aisha, Muhammad and Maria the Copt, the happy family and how Allah "dealt" with it.

According to tradition, Muhammad would take a rota with his wives, sleeping with each in their turn. One night, during Hafsa's turn, she asked to visit her father, and Muhammad granted her request. While she was gone, Muhammad took Mary the Coptic slave-girl and slept with her in Hafsa's bed ( east, Hafsa is not there, someone else must satisfy him in Hafsa's bed). Hafsa returned, was enraged, and confronted Muhammad. He promised (on oath) not to touch Mary again if she would keep this a secret, and then promised that her father Umar would be his successor after Abu Bakr (according to al-Sira al- Halabiyya, vol.2).
Hafsah, however, told Aisha of the incident, and for a full month Muhammad had no dealings with any of his wives, living with Mary alone. Aisha berated Muhammad for his deceit, whereupon Muhammad was finally given the vision recorded in Sura 66:1:

"O prophet, why forbiddest thou what God has made lawful to thee, seeking the good pleasure of thy wives...?"

Based on this aya it seems that Allah is in the business of not only getting Muhammad out of his sexual chaos, but that Allah justifies unfaithfulness and deceit as well.

We clearly see that Allah was always very quick to defend Muhammad's desires and this is exactly what Aisha said:

I used to backbite those (females) who offered themselves for the Messenger of Allah. So I asked: Does a woman offer herself? Then the Almighty Allah revealed: you (Muhammad) may put off whom you please of them, you may take to you whom you wish, and if you desire any whom you have separated, no blame attaches to you . It seems to me that your Lord hastens to satisfy your desire."

In other words, Allah is threatening these women that if they don't submit to Muhammad's desires, he will simply divorce them and get better ones. So Hafsa must not be angry that Muhammad slept with a slave girl, on her own bed , and on her turn day so Muhammad asks her to keep it secret and promises her father future postition and when she told Aisha Allah decided to threaten them.
Old Feb 15, '09, 4:52 am
Banned

Religion: Islam
Default Re: Muhammad , hafsa, Aisha and the slave-girl Mary

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

O God , those who are intentionally mixing lies with the Truth , either guide or punish them, Amen .
Old Feb 15, '09, 5:22 am

Have you got any response to correct the above, Muslim Woman?
Old Feb 15, '09, 5:40 am

Religion: Between EO & RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inJESUS View Post
Have you got any response to correct the above, Muslim Woman?
You will be lucky if you get some crazy justification for this. More than likely they will just attack your position and not explain theirs. Its the muslim way!
Old Feb 15, '09, 5:43 am

Religion: Catholic

Possibly the mixing lies with truth refers to the fact that Muhammad sent Hafsa to her father (she did not request to go) so he could be alone with Mariyah and Mariyah was not Muhammad's wife, but Hafsa's maid. ????

Quote:
One-day Muhammad goes to his wife’s house Hafsa the daughter of Omar and finds her maid Mariyah attractive. He sends Hafsa to Omar’s house, telling her that he wanted to see her. When Hafsa leaves, Muhammad takes Mariyah to bed and has intercourse with her. Meanwhile Hafsa, who finds out that her father was not expecting her, returns home much sooner than expected, and to her chagrin finds her illustrious husband in bed with her maid. She becomes hysteric and forgetting the station of the prophet she shouts and causes a scandal. The prophet pleads with her to calm down and promises not to sleep with Mariah anymore and begs her also not to divulge this secret to anyone else.

However, Hafsa would not control herself and relays everything to Ayisha who also turns against the prophet and jointly with his other wives cause him much anguish. So the prophet decides to punish all of them and not sleep with any one of his wives for one month. Depriving one’s wives sexually is the second grade of punishment recommended in the Quran. The first level is admonishing, the second level is depriving them of sex and the third level of punishment is beating them. Q. 4: 34.

Of course when a man decides to punish a wife with sexual deprivation he can satisfy himself with his other wives. But Muhammad’s anger had made him make the oath not to sleep with any of them for one month. That of course would have been too much of hardship for the beloved messenger of God, therefore God in his mercy came to the aid of his prophet and revealed the Surah Tahrim (Banning). In this Surah Allah rebukes Muhammad for being hard on himself and for depriving himself from what he really likes and has been made lawful for him, in order to please his wives. http://www.sikhingtruth.com/wp-conte...s_mistress.pdf
Old Feb 15, '09, 6:14 am

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigantine View Post
You will be lucky if you get some crazy justification for this. More than likely they will just attack your position and not explain theirs. Its the muslim way!
I'm sorry. I try to be patient with Islamic thought but I just can't. Christ made it quite clear that adultery was wrong, the old ways were obsolete and that the family, one husband, one wife and their children was what He (as God) ordained to be the perfect family.

I don't know what was in Mohammed's mind, why people blindly followed him and why he used the Jewish and Christian faiths and corrupted them so. I can only say that it was Satan's way of getting back at the Incarnation and Redemption freely given to us by God Himself.

The gospel of Christ is pure unadulterated love. If we follow we will live in peace and when we die our souls will live forever with God. It's very simple yet difficult because we are human and tainted by original sin. However we have the WAY.

For an angel to come and give a different version is Satanic. I expect a huge diatribe from the Muslims here who try to taint our faith. Nothing will shake mine.

Pax et Bomum.
Old Feb 15, '09, 6:25 am

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas: ...The Prophet did not go to his wives because of the secret which Hafsa had disclosed to 'Aisha, and he said that he would not go to his wives for one month as he was angry with them when Allah admonished him (for his oath that he would not approach Maria). When twenty-nine days had passed, the Prophet went to Aisha first of all. She said to him, 'You took an oath that you would not come to us for one month, and today only twenty-nine days have passed, as I have been counting them day by day.' The Prophet said, 'The month is also of twenty-nine days.' That month consisted of twenty-nine days. 'Aisha said, 'When the Divine revelation of Choice was revealed, the Prophet started with me...

Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 43, Number 648.

Maybe Allah should have guided Bukhari before revealing what Muhammad did.
Old Feb 15, '09, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman View Post
In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

O God , those who are intentionally mixing lies with the Truth , either guide or punish them, Amen .
so which part consists of lies? why oh why sister do you insist on following the words of a man who cannot by any account be considered saintly or holy?

Break free and break out. you are here because Jesus has brought you here. now accpet the invitation and leave islam.
Old Feb 15, '09, 8:34 am

Well, there seems to be some dispute, even among Islamic scholars whether or not Muhammad was married to Mariyah or not.

Quote:
"It is reported from 'Abdullah al-Zubairi who said: that after this the Noble Prophet married (tazawwaju) Mariah daughter of Sham'un. This is the same Mariyah who was sent by Maqauqis, the ruler of Alexandria to the Prophet as a gift" (Sahih al-Mustadarak Hakim Vol. iv, as quoted in Namus, p. 86).

It must be borne in mind that in Maulana Maududi's view the word azwaj (wives) according to the common usage in the Arabic language and in the Qur'anic terminology is only used for women who have been properly married (Tafhim-ul-Qur'an, Vol. iii, under verses 23: 5-7). In the above report a derivative of zwj (tazawwaju - he married) has been used. What other historical proof is needed to establish the point that Mary the Coptic was a wife of the Prophet in a proper sense?

The Qur'an also forbade the "wives" (azwaj) of the Prophet to marry again after this death (33:53) because they were considered to be the mothers of the believers (33:6). Mary the Coptic never married after the death of the Prophet. http://www.irfi.org/articles/article...le_prophet.htm
Although this narrative does not indicate when the marriage to Mariyah took place (assuming we are talking about the same person.) - before or after this incident with Hafsa. I will have to see what else I can find out.
Old Feb 15, '09, 8:54 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

For me more unpleasant than all else is the idea that the wifes were on a rota and expected to provide sex on demand like they were at work - it suggests a brothel or whorehouse and not a marriage.
Old Feb 15, '09, 9:05 am

OK. The consensus of most sites is that Muhammad married Maria the Copt. It seems to be between Safiyya and Maimuna, however they also say that she was freed from slavery after the birth of her son, Ibrahim (when Muhammad was 60 years old.) Does that mean he married her after the son was born and was just having sex with her as a "possession" beforehand? Does anyone know when this event with Hafsa was supposed to have taken place?

Quote:
In Madina, the Prophet – peace be upon him – elected Maria to himself, and gave her sister Sirin to his great poet; Hassan Bin Thabit Al Ansari – May Allah be pleased with him. Maria – May Allah be pleased with her – was beautiful with white skin, and her arrival made Aisha – May Allah be pleased with her – jealous, and made her all the time watching the signs of interest & care by the Prophet – peace be upon him – toward her. Aisha – May Allah be pleased with her – said: "I was jealous of no woman except Maria, she was beautiful, and the Prophet – peace be upon him – admired her. He accommodated her firstly in the house of Haritha Bin Al No’man – May Allah be pleased with him – therefore, she was our neighbour, and the Prophet – peace be upon him – was staying with her day and night until we prepared a room for her in the house of Prophethood , but she was afraid; therefore, the Prophet – peace be upon him – moved her to the upper room and was going there every time and then, but this was even more difficult for us".

Maria Giving Birth to Ibrahim

One year after her arrival to Madina, Maria – May Allah be pleased with her- became pregnant. The Prophet – peace be upon him – was very happy to hear that; because he was in the sixties of his age and lost all his sons & daughters except Fatima Al-Zahra, may Allah be pleased with her. Maria – May Allah be pleased with her – gave birth in the month of Thul Hijja of the eighth year after Hijra, to a beautiful child looking like the Prophet – peace be upon him- who named him Ibrahim "following the example of his forefather Prophet Ibrahim- peace be upon him – and after this birth Mariah became free from slavery. http://www.rasoulallah.net/subject_e...d=5&sub_id=257
And I agree with Jharek, the whole idea is distasteful - and as a wife there is absolutely NO WAY I would put up with that.
Old Feb 15, '09, 9:46 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

I found this information - so I will post it...

Quote:
Muhammad's Wives in the Order in Which They Were Married to Him

Khadija Bint Khuwailid: Muhammad's first wife. He married her in 595 A.D. (25 years before the Migration); she died three years before the Migration and ten years after he claimed prophethood.

Sawda Bint Zam`a: Muhammad married her in the month of Ramadan ten years after he claimed prophethood, after the death of Khadija and before he married `A´isha, or some months before the Migration, depending on the sources. Opinions agree that she was Muhammad's second wife.Yet the question is whether he slept with `A´isha first or Sawda. Some believe that he married `A´isha first, but had intercourse with Sawda first, as `A´isha was too young.

`A´isha Bint Abu Bakr: Muhammad married her in the month of Shawwal, three years before the Migration, ten years after he claimed prophethood, according to the tradition of `A´isha herself.He had intercourse with her in the month of Shawwal, eight months after the Migration. She was the only virgin among Muhammad's wives.

Hafsa Bint `Umar: The Messenger of God married her in the month of Sha`ban, 31 months after the Migration, or in the third year after the Migration, or one month or two before Uhud.

Zainab Bint Khuzaima: Her husband died in the battle of Uhud, so Muhammad married her. This was 31 months after the Migration.

Ummu Salama: One tradition says that Muhammad married her three years before the Khandaq raid, in the sixth year after the Migration and the wedding was performed in Shawwal four years after the Migration, or three years after Badr.

Zainab Bint Jahsh: It is not possible to determine when Muhammad married her. It was either in Dsu al-Qa`da or Sha`ban in year 5 or 3 A.H. We will study the marriage of Muhammad and Zainab Bint Jahsh in a separate chapter.

Juwairiyya Bint al-Harith: She was taken captive during the raid of Banu al-Mustaliq and was part of the spoils. No one knows when this battle took place exactly. So the dates given for her marriage to Muhammad are the fifth or the sixth year after the Migration. Ibn Hisham claims that Muhammad bought her from Thabit Ibn Qais, set her free, and later married her.

Safiyya Bint Huyay: She was among the spoils of Khaibar (one of the famous Jewish tribes), which was conquered in the sixth year A.H., and was chosen for Muhammad.

Ummu Habiba: Stories say that the Negus of Ethiopia gave her to Muhammad as a wife.

Maria, the Copt: al-Muqawqas, king of Egypt, sent four female slaves to Muhammad and Maria was one of them. She reached Medina in the seventh year after the Migration. Only Khadija and Maria gave birth to male children among all of Muhammad's wives.

Maimuna Bint al-Harith: Muhammad married her in the seventh year after the Umra of al-Qadha. She was the last one the Messenger of God married.

Rayhana: She was not of the "mothers of the believers," in spite of her respectable position in the house of Muhammad. When the Prophet attacked Banu Qurayza, he took her captive since it was necessary for him to have a selection of each spoil. Muhammad offered her Islam but she refused. Yet it is said that she espoused Islam later.

Reference: http://www.geocities.com/islampencer...mads_wives.htm
I will do more searches because one site I found said that Maria the Copt did not marry mohamad because she didn't want to change her religion from Christianity to islam.

But this listing above contradicts what I read a few minutes ago from another site...

So, I'll keep searching..

Old Feb 15, '09, 10:18 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox ~ Byzantine

OK - so according to the site (see below) Maria the Copt according to islam was one of mohamads wives, but still unclear if she ever converted to islam and dropped Christianity..

Quote:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1123996016508

Who Were the Prophet’s Wives?

Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) married 12 wives in his life. When he died he had 9 wives.

They have a very special status in the hearts of Muslims as the “Mothers of the Believers,” as the Qur’an instructs, and they are the source of a great amount of wisdom which they learned while living close to such a great man.

Perhaps you’d like to research a bit to find their beautiful stories, so here are their names:

Khadijah bint Khuwaylid,

Sawdah bint Zam’ah,

`A’ishah bint Abi Bakr,

Hafsah bint `Umar ibn Al-Khattab,

Zaynab bint Khuzaymah,

Umm Salama, Zaynab bint Jahsh,

Juwayriah bint Al-Harith,

Umm Habibah,

Safiyah bint Huyay ibn Akhtab,

Maymunah bint Al-Harith,

Maria the Copt.

Old Feb 15, '09, 10:26 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Latin rite Catholic

And this 'wisdom' seems to have included practical tips on how to engage in adultery. Just another 'mistake' hey. The Biblical story of David been a bad boy because of seeking the pleasures of the flesh with Bathsheba to take one example is inherently more believable in that it doesn't gloss over the fact that David was doing wrong.
Old Feb 15, '09, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakasaki View Post
OK - so according to the site (see below) Maria the Copt according to islam was one of mohamads wives, but still unclear if she ever converted to islam and dropped Christianity..
All the sites I read said Maria and her sister, Serin (who was given to Muhammad's favorite poet.) converted to Islam on the way from Egypt. Supposedly they were so curious about the faith of their new master that they questioned the guy who took them back to Muhammad and then converted.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions