Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 15, '09, 7:59 pm

Religion: spiritually Catholic, still escaping Mormonism
Default "It is consummated !" - Christ on the Cross

When Christ is on the Cross, He says:

"It is finished".

In the Latin Vulgate it is recorded as "consumatum est", and in the Douay-Rheims, it is translated as:

"It is consummated".

I believe Archbishop Fulton Sheen said that he preferred this rendering. But what is the significance of this passage when it is translated this way ? Is there anything additional that we can determine if we accept "consummated" rather than "finished" ?

Many thanks if anyone can assist me on this.

God Bless,

Hal.
Old Feb 15, '09, 8:02 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: "It is consummated !" - Christ on the Cross

Consummation means something has been completed or perfected, finished means something has been accomplished or fulfilled. Consummation is more theologically correct.
Old Feb 15, '09, 10:09 pm
Forum Master

The 4th cup of the Jewish Seder (which was not drunk at the Last Supper) is called the Cup of Consummation. After drinking it (I believe), the oldest says "It is consummated".

Remember that Jesus says He will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the day He drinks it with them in His Kingdom. Jesus' death on the Cross issues in the Kingdom. When does Jesus say, "It is finished"? It is immediately after he drank from the vinegar on the Hyssop branch. What is vinegar, soured wine - the fruit of the vine.
Old Feb 16, '09, 11:57 am

Religion: Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
When Christ is on the Cross, He says:

"It is finished".

In the Latin Vulgate it is recorded as "consumatum est", and in the Douay-Rheims, it is translated as:

"It is consummated".

I believe Archbishop Fulton Sheen said that he preferred this rendering. But what is the significance of this passage when it is translated this way ? Is there anything additional that we can determine if we accept "consummated" rather than "finished" ?
"τετελεσται" is closer to "it is consummated" than to the more-common "it is finished": the latter merely says that the event is over, no longer continuing; the former makes more explicit the implication, inherent in the Greek, that the event is not merely over, but is also brought to completion, and also conveys better the fact that this is a passive verb, not just an adjective, and so this is a completion which has been made to happen, not one which has simply occurred by chance.

(Besides which, I have something of a personal preference for translations which jolt the reader out of the normal forms of the target language, as such translations tend to assist people in thinking more about how what they are reading is not the original.)
"Short [is] life, long the coming age, and brief the interval of the present existence"- St Niketas Stethatos
Old Feb 16, '09, 12:17 pm
Forum Supporter

Hebrews 8:13 “When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete”

Luke 24:43-45 "“Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.”

When Jesus is dying His Sacrificial death on the cross, He states in John 19:30 “It is finished (consummated).”

Jesus has now fulfilled all of the prophecies which were written about Him in the Old Testament Scriptures about His birth, life, suffering, and death on the cross. The Old Covenant is now made obsolete by His death since He is the perfect Sacrifice and so Jesus’ New Covenant now replaces the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant is now fulfilled. It is finished (consummated).

The New Covenant is hidden or veiled in the Old Covenant and the Old Covenant is fulfilled and made obsolete by the New Covenant.

SHW
Old Feb 16, '09, 12:48 pm
Forum Supporter

Forgot a verse:

Matthew 5:17-19 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Jesus fulfilled the Law. The Law is obsolete! He, the One Mediator between God and Man because only He is both God and Man, accomplished what mere man and the Law of Moses could not. He reconciled us to His Father by His Perfect Sacrifice. (Romans 5) All was accomplished by Jesus Christ, our Savior!

SHW
Old Feb 16, '09, 7:08 pm
Forum Elder

I recall reading someplace, and can't find the reference now, that the fourth cup of the seder meal was/is called The Cup of Consumation. From Scott Hahn's book, the wine geven to Jesus on the cross was the fourth cup of the Last Supper.
Old Feb 16, '09, 7:20 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
I recall reading someplace, and can't find the reference now, that the fourth cup of the seder meal was/is called The Cup of Consumation. From Scott Hahn's book, the wine geven to Jesus on the cross was the fourth cup of the Last Supper.
BRILLIANT!!!
Old Feb 17, '09, 6:01 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
The fourth cup Scott Hahn http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg...hn/m4/4cp.html

the hyssop branch which lifted the sponge filled with vinegar to our Lords lips was the same type of branch used to place the blood of the lamb on the doorposts at the first passover!
Old Feb 17, '09, 12:49 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj View Post
The fourth cup Scott Hahn http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg...hn/m4/4cp.html

the hyssop branch which lifted the sponge filled with vinegar to our Lords lips was the same type of branch used to place the blood of the lamb on the doorposts at the first passover!
Thanks everyone, for the great info.

SHW

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture