Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 5, '05, 5:36 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default protestant nuns?

My father was raised Lutheren. He grew up in Germany and said he had 2 aunts who were protestant nuns. My sister (9 years my senior) went to a summer camp with a cousin in the mid seventies that was run by protestant nuns according to my parents. I have never heard of protestant nuns outside the accounts of my parents. I'm curious if they're still around today and what their history is. Anyone out there familiar with protestant nuns?
Old Jan 5, '05, 5:48 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: protestant nuns?

there are Benedictine foundations in the Anglican Church, don't know about any others.
Old Jan 5, '05, 6:01 pm

There is a convent of contemplatvie Episcopalian nuns near my home in Catonsville, MD, just west of Baltimore. They have women's retreats there.
Old Jan 5, '05, 8:09 pm

Thanks guys. Has anyone heard of Lutheran nuns? I'm pretty sure that was what my dad's aunts were - though not positive.
Old Jan 5, '05, 11:08 pm
Banned

Lutheran nuns considering Luther spoke about the evils of the the monastic life and married a runaway nun he would find the idea of Lutheran nuns ridiculous. Guess they didn't get the message.
Another example of protestants forgetting their heritage.
Old Jan 6, '05, 6:03 am
Banned

At the time of the Reformation, a number of monstaic communities, male and female, joined the movement but continued their common life. Over time I believe they dwindled to three communities in Germany. I believe two of them were suppressed by Hitler, but a 20th century monastic revivial caused new ones to be founded. It is still a small movement.

A Presbyterian monastic community exists on the island of Iona in Scotland, and of course the famous community of Taize, which was originally a Protestant foundation but now is ecumencial, including Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox.
Old Jan 6, '05, 7:34 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89
Thanks guys. Has anyone heard of Lutheran nuns? I'm pretty sure that was what my dad's aunts were - though not positive.
I believe the Lutherans do have a couple of monastic communities for women now. I know there is a Lutheran Benedictine monastery in Michigan.

More likely, your father's aunts were deaconesses. Where I come from, Lutheran deaconesses wore long-sleeved blue dresses with white collar and cuffs and a blue veil. They worked in parish ministry or social service.

They're still out there but the uniform has changed: http://www.valpo.edu/lda/
Old Jan 6, '05, 7:48 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Anglicans have several orders of monks and sisters, and also nuns. (Sisters & nuns are different). The Catonsville community mentioned above is All Saints Sisters of the Poor. An exemplary group. Look here:
http://anglicansonline.org/resources/orders.html
Old Jan 6, '05, 8:01 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

:Another example of protestants forgetting their heritage.:

No, it's an example of our remembering our heritage, which goes back beyond the Reformation. (Never mind that, as katherine2 pointed out, not all women's communities were suppressed at the Reformation).

Edwin
Old Jan 6, '05, 9:33 am
Veteran Member
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

We have a order of Lutheran nuns here in the north Phoenix area called, of all things, The Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary.

http://www.kanaan.org/

SSSC on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunday...795172?ref=sgm
Old Jan 6, '05, 9:48 am

You guys are awesome, very interesting stuff.

mercygate - I'll have to ask my dad about the deaconesses thing - you could be right, but he always referred to them as nuns or sisters. Given the outfit they wore though I could see where he might think that.
Old Jan 6, '05, 10:10 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne89
You guys are awesome, very interesting stuff.

mercygate - I'll have to ask my dad about the deaconesses thing - you could be right, but he always referred to them as nuns or sisters. Given the outfit they wore though I could see where he might think that.
Yes. It is more likely they were deaconesses than a member of the few Lutheran convents. Many deaconess ministered in hospitals and in Germany, like England, hospital nurses are called "sister" be they deaconcesses or not.
Old Jan 6, '05, 10:24 am

Religion: United Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabees
Lutheran nuns considering Luther spoke about the evils of the the monastic life and married a runaway nun he would find the idea of Lutheran nuns ridiculous. Guess they didn't get the message.
Another example of protestants forgetting their heritage.
Maccabees, not all Protestants were born of Lutheran descent. in fact, not all "Protestants" are protestant.

In reply to the thread, find this article in the National Catholic Reporter about a Methodist monastery.

O+
Old Jan 6, '05, 12:05 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox canonical

I believe Lutheran " nuns or monakhini" are found in Evangelische Lutheranische Kirke since 1836 but called diakonesses. A diakoness movement initiated by certain Theodor Fliedner in 1836 to allow honorable Lutheran women to help church. Most such communities were women who were med-sisters in hospitals. There were training Houses for such unmarried diakonesses in Germany and Skandinavia. I believe that there are Diakoness Lutheran Hospitals maintained by such med-sisters in America including in Philadelphia.

Such communities may have also influenced St. Grand Duchess Elizaveta Feodorovna who was German by birth in founding the Marfa-Marijinskaja Convent in Moscow. Then thrown into pit by Bolsheviks to be martyr.

Last edited by Volodymyr; Jan 6, '05 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jan 6, '05, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodymyr
I believe Lutheran " nuns or monakhini" are found in Evangelische Lutheranische Kirke since 1836 but called diakonesses. A diakoness movement initiated by certain Theodor Fliedner in 1836 to allow honorable Lutheran women to help church. Most such communities were women who were med-sisters in hospitals. There were training Houses for such unmarried diakonesses in Germany and Skandinavia. I believe that there are Diakoness Lutheran Hospitals maintained by such med-sisters in America including in Philadelphia.
Excellant information! Danke!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions