Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 20, '09, 11:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Do protestants pray to saints?

Is their any protestant denominations that pray to the saints ...?
Old Feb 21, '09, 9:02 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Default Re: Do protestants pray to saints?

No Protestants don't pray to saints. As far as Iím aware off. Therefore the only pray to Jesus.
Old Feb 21, '09, 12:29 pm

Religion: Catholic - Tiber Swim Class of 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfo123 View Post
I think so - although perhaps not in the same way that Catholics do.

Many protestants believe in the power of intercessory prayer (the Bible teaches this, in fact) - so we believe we can pray for others and the prayers of others (particularly the righteous) is a powerful form of intercession for others. When I or a family member are ill, for example, I ask others for their prayers on my family member's behalf.

Praying to saints (deceased believers who are with Christ - and thus more righteous than any here on earth) would be a powerful form of intercession.

In terms of formal denominational practice - the closest would likely be Anglican/Episcopalian where some of the more traditional/Anglo Catholic denominations/churches likely formally include this in their liturgy or practice.

Personally - I do pray to saints, on occassion (particulary Mary) - only as an intercessor with God, not to provide an answer directly to my prayers.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Brian
The time is coming," declares the Lord, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah." (Jer 31:31)
Old Feb 22, '09, 11:43 am
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: cradle Catholic (Roman Rite)
Send a message via Skype™ to MDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_D View Post
No Protestants don't pray to saints. As far as Iím aware off. Therefore the only pray to Jesus.
They pray to a Jesus that they don't really know, claiming many falsehoods about Him and His Church. Many Protestants think Christ had brothers and sisters. Many believe Mary is not the Queen of Heaven. Many believe that Christ did not build one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church with Peter and His successors as visible head. Many believe that Christ taught salvation by faith alone, once saved always saved, and the Bible alone as rule of faith. They deny the Church that gave the world the Scriptures and Bible, all written in the context of Catholicism. All of these Protestant beliefs are wrong. They do have some things right, like Christ is true God and True Man, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. However, these beliefs were taught by the Catholic Church, and so Protestantism has not added new truth to the discussion, only decayed Christianity with false doctrine, denigration of Christ's Church, and denigration of His mother.

In other words, there is no valid reason for Protestantism, unless you really want to just take a vacation from the truth.

Ignorance of Catholicism is ignorance of Christ. - Michael Kocian
Old Feb 22, '09, 1:54 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
They pray to a Jesus that they don't really know, claiming many falsehoods about Him and His Church. Many Protestants think Christ had brothers and sisters. Many believe Mary is not the Queen of Heaven. Many believe that Christ did not build one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church with Peter and His successors as visible head. Many believe that Christ taught salvation by faith alone, once saved always saved, and the Bible alone as rule of faith. They deny the Church that gave the world the Scriptures and Bible, all written in the context of Catholicism. All of these Protestant beliefs are wrong. They do have some things right, like Christ is true God and True Man, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. However, these beliefs were taught by the Catholic Church, and so Protestantism has not added new truth to the discussion, only decayed Christianity with false doctrine, denigration of Christ's Church, and denigration of His mother.

In other words, there is no valid reason for Protestantism, unless you really want to just take a vacation from the truth.
Why they should protestant religion been allowed to teach???. When everyone knows the story how Protestantism church came about. What will happen to Protestants people when the died....hell??.
Old Feb 22, '09, 2:15 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfo123 View Post
While blanket statements can never be made regarding non-Catholic Christians due to their diversity, I will comment only on those that I have spoken with about saints. I have yet to meet a person who is not Cahtolic who claims to pray to saints. In fact most of them are vehemently opposed to praying to saints because they believe that that would get in the way of them and Jesus. Many Protestants equate the term "praying" to "worship" and therefore even see it as blasphemy.

The fundamentalist and evangelical Protestants that I've spoken with claim that saints are not in touch nor do they care what happens here on earth. They are taught that the saints would not have a share in our wretched condition since they have since been removed from that condition. I could write a paper on this topic and the varying viewpoints but overall my conclusion is that the vast majority of Protestants do not pray to saints.

Paul exhorts us to pray for one another so that kind of throws out their view of "me and Jesus" only. Catholics have a multitude in our prayer group and that's why we know that at death we are not cut off from the vine. (See John 15) The Body of Christ remains intact, unitive and very much alive. And that is all in the Bible for those who claim scripture as their sole authority............................... .....teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Feb 22, '09, 2:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbinson View Post
I think so - although perhaps not in the same way that Catholics do.

Many protestants believe in the power of intercessory prayer (the Bible teaches this, in fact) - so we believe we can pray for others and the prayers of others (particularly the righteous) is a powerful form of intercession for others. When I or a family member are ill, for example, I ask others for their prayers on my family member's behalf.

Praying to saints (deceased believers who are with Christ - and thus more righteous than any here on earth) would be a powerful form of intercession.

In terms of formal denominational practice - the closest would likely be Anglican/Episcopalian where some of the more traditional/Anglo Catholic denominations/churches likely formally include this in their liturgy or practice.

Personally - I do pray to saints, on occassion (particulary Mary) - only as an intercessor with God, not to provide an answer directly to my prayers.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Brian
Yes, but the Anglican/Episcopal Church is not a product of the Protestant reformation whereby much doctrine was changed. The Church of England disputed the authority of the papacy while retaining the practices of Holy Mother Church. This, of course, is changing in more recent times but they still uphold most of the teachings of the Catholic Church. That's why the Episcopal Church two miles from me is called "St. Stevens".

I don't think that you would hear of any Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, or any of the hundreds of other non-denominational churches praying to saints. Please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, the biggest stumbling block to those coming home to the Catholic faith is our devotions to Mary. That includes our acknowledging her intercessory prayer........God Bless .................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Feb 22, '09, 6:07 pm
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: cradle Catholic (Roman Rite)
Send a message via Skype™ to MDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_D View Post
Why they should protestant religion been allowed to teach???. When everyone knows the story how Protestantism church came about. What will happen to Protestants people when the died....hell??.
Protestants have freedom of will to teach errantly. If they did not, then there would be no Protestantism. There would only be the Church built by Christ, with all of His New Covenant family attending.

Protestantism started when some men tried to fix behavioral problems by creating their own doctrine separate from Christ. Protestantism is therefore, self defeating and unnecessary.

If you read the teachings of the authoritative Church built by Christ, you would know the answer to this question. There is a possibility of heaven, considering invincible ignorance. Please read about it in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This will show some good intent to learn.

Ignorance of Catholicism is ignorance of Christ. - Michael Kocian
Old Aug 14, '11, 3:02 pm

Religion: Anglican Catholic

I am an Anglo-Catholic, in a Continuing Anglican Church, we truly practice the Catholic faith, like Orthodox Christians, which includes asking Mary to pray for us, asking the Saints to pray for us, and the pinnacle of our worship service is communion or consumption of the Body and Blood of Christ. We however do not think of ourselves as Protestants, no any more than an Eastern Orthodox Christian would. Western Orthodox Christians is a good way to think about us, another good way to describe us is as Traditionalist Anglicans.
Old Aug 14, '11, 5:19 pm
Forum Elder

I wonder how many have a St Christopher medal in their car, or bury a St Joseph statue when selling a house?
Old Aug 15, '11, 4:17 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catůlico

Protestants are really really angry Catholics that don't like the Pope as a boss or someone hitting them over the head to keep up the good work for their salvation.

... I need to get me a copy of that book, "Not by Paul Alone"

What can I say? After all I am a Gentile
Old Aug 17, '11, 9:06 pm

Religion: Catholic-Anglican

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
Yes, but the Anglican/Episcopal Church is not a product of the Protestant reformation whereby much doctrine was changed. The Church of England disputed the authority of the papacy while retaining the practices of Holy Mother Church. This, of course, is changing in more recent times but they still uphold most of the teachings of the Catholic Church. That's why the Episcopal Church two miles from me is called "St. Stevens".

I don't think that you would hear of any Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, or any of the hundreds of other non-denominational churches praying to saints. Please correct me if I am wrong. In fact, the biggest stumbling block to those coming home to the Catholic faith is our devotions to Mary. That includes our acknowledging her intercessory prayer........God Bless .................teachccd
Point of information....I was an Anglican priest.

When Henry took England out from the Church, he began a period of confusion for Anglicans. Under Henry, the Anglican Church looked and in many cases was catholic. Then came Edward and his advisors (as Edward was a minor) who were influenced by the mainland reformation. Mary replaced Edward and brought England, briefly, back to the catholic fold. Then we had Elizabeth I.

Within Anglican theology you can find almost anything. Very, very, very, very few are catholic minded. Most of protestant minded in liturgy and theology. They are evangical or charismatic (very large portions).

Do not mistake albs, candles, incense, chasubles with being catholic. The Episcopal Church does not hold to catholic teachings on morality, faith, ethic, theology. To do so would make them catholics. The Anglo-Catholic branch of Anglicanism has been small and is becoming even smaller, especially with the upcoming Ordinariate. Outside a few parishes one is had pressed to find catholic minded Anglicans.

And do not let the name of a church confuse you. I can take you to St Luke Missionary Baptist Church where I live. They are most assuredly not catholic or Catholic.

Mark
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture