Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '09, 9:41 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Book of Daniel and Revelation

Peace and grace of God be with you all!

Is there a book that anyone can recommend (or commentaries) on the book of Daniel? I am participating in a bible study with some non-Catholic friends (7th day adventist and non-denominationals). Although they are sincere and good Christians, they have their own way of interpreting the bible (i.e. "the bible can interpret itself" - which makes me chuckle everytime they say it and start arguing about the meaning of certain passages ).

We started last night and want myself to be prepared because i am not really familiar with the book of Daniel and some issues already came out - i.e. the nations represented by the 4 beasts, and that for them the book of Daniel was written by Daniel himself conflicting with the intro in my Catholic bible that it was uncertain who the real author of the book was.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!!!
Old Feb 25, '09, 9:52 am
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Book of Daniel and Revelation

"Rapture" The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind by David B. Currie
talks about how the Book of Daniel and Revelation are related.
He also relates them to the Olivet discourse and the Epistles.

He does go line by line in explaining much of the scripture but it is more thematic than anything. He deals with Daniel's four beasts extensively. I recommend it.

scripturecatholic.com
Old Feb 25, '09, 9:54 am

Cool, thanks.

Can i buy it online? If yes, where? Thanks again!
Old Feb 25, '09, 10:03 am
Forum Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/Rapture-End-Ti.../dp/1928832725

scripturecatholic.com
Old Feb 25, '09, 10:06 am

Many thanks! God bless you!
Old Feb 25, '09, 11:30 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro A View Post
Peace and grace of God be with you all!

Is there a book that anyone can recommend (or commentaries) on the book of Daniel? I am participating in a bible study with some non-Catholic friends (7th day adventist and non-denominationals). Although they are sincere and good Christians, they have their own way of interpreting the bible (i.e. "the bible can interpret itself" - which makes me chuckle everytime they say it and start arguing about the meaning of certain passages ).

We started last night and want myself to be prepared because i am not really familiar with the book of Daniel and some issues already came out - i.e. the nations represented by the 4 beasts, and that for them the book of Daniel was written by Daniel himself conflicting with the intro in my Catholic bible that it was uncertain who the real author of the book was.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless!!!
FYI, if you're using the New American Bible (NAB), there are many Catholics who would disagree with the Introductions they give for the various books of the Bible. The text of Scripture is what is free from error, the NAB footnotes and introductions are not guaranteed to be free from error.

In general, these NAB notes follow the modern tendency to think that none of the books of the Bible were actually written by the people whose name they bear. This is one possibility, but not the only for a Catholic (and it is a relatively recent phenomenon).

You might try the Haydock Bible Commentary. Just scroll down and you'll find the Book of Daniel. This particular commentary follows the Douay-Rheims translation of the Bible. That website gives links to that translation so that you can follow along.

Here's another website that gives links to the writings of the Church Fathers on various books of the Bible. Scroll down for Daniel.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Feb 25, '09, 1:03 pm

You are right, i am using NAB. What bible translation do you recommend?

In Christ.
Old Feb 25, '09, 4:55 pm

Quote:

In Christ.
I just got a copy of the English Standard Version and I like it a lot because it is very readable. It is a Protestant translation but they just released an edition with the deuterocanonical books, including the books that the Orthodox Church uses but not the Catholic Church.

I know that some here will have a problem with using a version translated by Protestants but the most commonly used Bible on this forum is the Revised Standard Version, which the Vatican also uses in its English documents including the Catechism, and it was also translated by Protestant scholars. Also, the translation they are telling you to avoid, and rightfully so, was translated by Catholics. As long as the translation is honest and true to the Greek and Hebrew, I don't care about the religious affiliation of the translators. (Footnotes and other reference material are another matter but they are minimal in my edition and I have yet to see anything contrary to the Church's teaching.)

Gary
Old Feb 25, '09, 9:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

In Christ.
Personally, I prefer the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) that Ignatius Press publishes. Many here also like the Douay-Rheims translation. The NAB is a decent enough translation, it's just the footnotes and introductions that you have to watch out for.

The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Feb 25, '09, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
Personally, I prefer the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) that Ignatius Press publishes. Many here also like the Douay-Rheims translation. The NAB is a decent enough translation, it's just the footnotes and introductions that you have to watch out for.
Actually, the NAB does have translation problems. In fact, the version of the Psalms found in NABs today was found to be so bad that the Vatican prohibited its use in the Mass. There is also the issue of inclusive language.

Gary
Old Feb 26, '09, 7:05 am

I did notice that the footnotes in NAB are not really that good and helpful.
Old Feb 26, '09, 7:08 am

Can anyone of you give me tips on what to watch out for when we do the study on the book of Daniel? Again, i am doing a bible study with some of my non-Catholic friends (7th day Adventist and non-denominationals). Thanks.
Old Feb 26, '09, 7:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysibio View Post
Actually, the NAB does have translation problems. In fact, the version of the Psalms found in NABs today was found to be so bad that the Vatican prohibited its use in the Mass. There is also the issue of inclusive language.

Gary
Yes, that's true (and the inclusive language irks me), but I don't think there are any problems so big that someone will fall into heresy by reading it. At least, I haven't found anything yet.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Feb 26, '09, 8:25 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Can anyone of you give me tips on what to watch out for when we do the study on the book of Daniel? Again, i am doing a bible study with some of my non-Catholic friends (7th day Adventist and non-denominationals). Thanks.
If they are "left behind" rapturist types, they will probably try and split Daniel's visions with a 2,000 year gap. For example: a gap between the iron legs and the iron-clay feet of the statue. In the second vision, a two-millenium gap between the fourth beast and it's very own horns! And in the third prophecy the put a the gap mid-sentence in (9:26)

There is no textual justification for this but they have to do it in order to deny that Christ set up a Kingdom during His first Advent. (Reigning in heaven and on earth through the Church)

This directly relates to their understanding of the "Rapture" and belief that Christ will have a literal thousand year reign on earth (Rev 20:4). We Catholics understand (20:4) to be the Church age we have been in for 2,000 years.

So, basically they are inserting huge time gaps in the text, where they don't belong, while rejecting our understanding of a long time periond that is textually supported.

scripturecatholic.com
Old Feb 26, '09, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanoneil View Post
If they are "left behind" rapturist types, they will probably try and split Daniel's visions with a 2,000 year gap. For example: a gap between the iron legs and the iron-clay feet of the statue. In the second vision, a two-millenium gap between the fourth beast and it's very own horns! And in the third prophecy the put a the gap mid-sentence in (9:26)

There is no textual justification for this but they have to do it in order to deny that Christ set up a Kingdom during His first Advent. (Reigning in heaven and on earth through the Church)

This directly relates to their understanding of the "Rapture" and belief that Christ will have a literal thousand year reign on earth (Rev 20:4). We Catholics understand (20:4) to be the Church age we have been in for 2,000 years.

So, basically they are inserting huge time gaps in the text, where they don't belong, while rejecting our understanding of a long time periond that is textually supported.
What about the four beasts and the four nations? I think they are trying to imply that the 4th nation is the Roman empire.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture