Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 27, '09, 12:29 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Tax deduction for mass intentions?

Are donations made in connection with mass intentions tax deductible?

There must be more to the question than I understand. Can someone shed light on it for me?

Last year, we asked that a mass be said for a relative who died, and, at that time, we made a voluntary donation to the church. The donation did not appear on our end of year statement, and when I questioned it, I was told that it wasn't deductible because it was in exchange for a service, saying a mass for a deceased relative. After reading all the IRS regulations I could find on the subject, it still looks to me like it should be deductible since we received only what the tax code calls "intangible religious benefit."
Old Mar 4, '09, 10:29 am

Default Re: Tax deduction for mass intentions?

You can't deduct it because the church did someting you requested in exchange for the donation.

The "intangible religous benefit" mentioned in the IRS code is more along the line of the graces and possible time off purgatory you might hope to receive by tithing and alms giving.
Old Mar 4, '09, 1:42 pm
Observing Member

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, '09, 3:28 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlo1 View Post
You can't deduct it because the church did someting you requested in exchange for the donation.

The "intangible religous benefit" mentioned in the IRS code is more along the line of the graces and possible time off purgatory you might hope to receive by tithing and alms giving.
Wow, I've never heard of that before.

http://www.knocknovena.com/index.htm

Wife of 1
Mommy of 4
Slave to 11 chickens, 5 cats, 2 pigs, and 1 dog
Old Apr 14, '12, 5:31 pm
Trial Membership

Mass stipends are deductible, as noted by Sandra Day O'Conner in a dissenting opinion on a Supreme Court decision regarding the deduction of costs spent on auditing classes by another church. See this link
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicg90.pdf
Quote:
"Rev. Rul. 78-366, 1978-2 C.B. 241, is also cited since it provides that mass stipends as fixed payments for specific religious services are deductible."
Old Apr 14, '12, 9:17 pm

I would say no, you can't deduct it. The reason why I say this is that in some dioceses, the priest gets to keep some or all of the money for mass intentions. So it isn't going to the church, it's going to him.
Old Apr 15, '12, 7:34 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Protestant

Old Apr 15, '12, 8:12 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
Mass stipends are deductible, as noted by Sandra Day O'Conner in a dissenting opinion on a Supreme Court decision regarding the deduction of costs spent on auditing classes by another church. See this link
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicg90.pdf
A very important part of tht ruling is that the stipend is deductible if it goes into the Church's general fund.

Mass stipends typically do not go into the general fund in parishes. They are in a separate bank account and paid only to the priest for the Masses as they are said. Now, perhaps if you send donations to a religious order that might be different, since order priests likely do not receive individual payments and that money supports the overall operations of the order.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Apr 15, '12, 9:37 am
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
A very important part of tht ruling is that the stipend is deductible if it goes into the Church's general fund.

Mass stipends typically do not go into the general fund in parishes. They are in a separate bank account and paid only to the priest for the Masses as they are said. Now, perhaps if you send donations to a religious order that might be different, since order priests likely do not receive individual payments and that money supports the overall operations of the order.
So really, the correct answer is "Maybe they are deductible", but it's up to the parishioner to ask if the money goes into the general fund. That seems a bit indiscernable to the person paying for the masses. The checks are made out to the church (at least they have been for the mass donations we made this year). What the church does with them is out of sight of the person who "purchases" the mass. I was not able to find the actual Revenue Ruling on the IRS site, even though I went through the revenue ruling archives available there. The only thing I have is the line that says "mass stipends as fixed payments for specific religious services are deductible." It seems to me that would be true regardless of whether the money makes its way to the priest or not. Based on that I intend to deduct mine (and quickly )
However, I am talking about masses purchased from the church secretary, with the check payable to the church. If I were to give a check to a priest, deacon, or sister because they performed a mass, wedding, funeral, rosary, etc. I agree, that is not deductible.
Peace
Steve
Old Apr 15, '12, 9:40 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu741 View Post
As a general rule for taxes, you can only deduct the value of the donation in excess of the value of what you got in return. Although the Mass is priceless, it does not have a tangible dollar value so the entire amount would be a donation.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014