Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 1, '09, 11:35 am

Religion: Catholic Christian
Question Catholicism verses Church Of Christ

Not latter day saints. Just Church of Christ.....What is the difference on their interpretaions of the Bible than What we Catholics are taught. Do they believe in the Holy Spirit?

I am currently living in Rural Arkansas that has no Catholic Church and my husband chose for us to go to this country Church called Church of Christ of Elizabeth Arkansas.

So, if there are any of you that are familiar with the Country Churches of Christ, I would love to hear from you or anyone that has any knowledge of them.

Much love in Christ
Lura
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Christian
Default Re: Catholicism verses Church Of Christ

Hi Lura, The first question I would have is it part of the United Church of Christ or Church of Christ; there is a big difference. The UCC is one of those that is allowing all kinds of evil to creep in and i would stay away; on the other hand the Church of Christ are all independent, which means they have no central authority except Jesus Christ. Not all will be the same; so if Christ is building the church, then their is no problem, but if men are, then a big problem. You will not know until you attend 3-4 times; sometimes it is blatantly obvious that Christ is no where to be found.

Good luck and if you want I can PM an article on finding a church, but I'm not Catholic so my expectation of what to look for in a church may not be yours.
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

google "church of christ" to see what they believe. Not too many beliefs completely compatible - no real doctrine.

If you live near Elizabeth, know that there is a Catholic church in Horseshoe Bend and also Mountain Home...neither of which is very far from Elizabeth. Just Google it!
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter469 View Post
Not latter day saints. Just Church of Christ.....What is the difference on their interpretaions of the Bible than What we Catholics are taught. Do they believe in the Holy Spirit?

I am currently living in Rural Arkansas that has no Catholic Church and my husband chose for us to go to this country Church called Church of Christ of Elizabeth Arkansas.

So, if there are any of you that are familiar with the Country Churches of Christ, I would love to hear from you or anyone that has any knowledge of them.

Much love in Christ
Lura
http://church-of-christ.org/ This is NOT the United Church of Christ
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking12 View Post
Hi Lura, The first question I would have is it part of the United Church of Christ or Church of Christ; there is a big difference. The UCC is one of those that is allowing all kinds of evil to creep in and i would stay away; on the other hand the Church of Christ are all independent, which means they have no central authority except Jesus Christ. Not all will be the same; so if Christ is building the church, then their is no problem, but if men are, then a big problem. You will not know until you attend 3-4 times; sometimes it is blatantly obvious that Christ is no where to be found.

Good luck and if you want I can PM an article on finding a church, but I'm not Catholic so my expectation of what to look for in a church may not be yours.

It is not United Church of Christ. It is Church of Christ, Independently run by elders.

so, I am trying to find out if any one of you all would be able to shed some light to me about it. I know that they truly think they are the Church of Christ of the early Church.....

I was raised Catholic and was taught that we were the only Church of Christ, so therefore, I feel that I am at time just being closed minded to them and I don't want to be......

It upset me real bad when another will talk about another's belief and how it is not Biblical. That truly upsets me. I then start feeling that my whole family is doomed to Hell because we are Catholics and not whatever they are. I feel that we all should not be divided the way we are. I feel in my heart that God our Father nor Jesus Christ wanted the division either....

It truly has messed me up in my heart to be taken up from my roots of Baton Rouge, La. Now living in Rural Country is Depressing to me.....
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic90 View Post
google "church of christ" to see what they believe. Not too many beliefs completely compatible - no real doctrine.

If you live near Elizabeth, know that there is a Catholic church in Horseshoe Bend and also Mountain Home...neither of which is very far from Elizabeth. Just Google it!
Please provide the link you looked at; there is the United Church of Christ and the Church of Christ; not the same animal, so to speak.
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
It is not United Church of Christ. It is Church of Christ, Independently run by elders.

so, I am trying to find out if any one of you all would be able to shed some light to me about it. I know that they truly think they are the Church of Christ of the early Church.....

I was raised Catholic and was taught that we were the only Church of Christ, so therefore, I feel that I am at time just being closed minded to them and I don't want to be......

It upset me real bad when another will talk about another's belief and how it is not Biblical. That truly upsets me. I then start feeling that my whole family is doomed to Hell because we are Catholics and not whatever they are. I feel that we all should not be divided the way we are. I feel in my heart that God our Father nor Jesus Christ wanted the division either....

It truly has messed me up in my heart to be taken up from my roots of Baton Rouge, La. Now living in Rural Country is Depressing to me.....
Jesus did say He came to divide; He used the example of families; you mother against daughter etc. But that is getting off base. It does matter what they believe; it must be Christ centered. I hope you and your husband and any children you have find the best place to worship God.

As I said before; you won't know till you get there because they are all independent; I'm always weary of any church that makes an exclusive claim that they are the "true" church. Jesus never spoke that way because the true church was always made of those who believe in Him. He is another thought, how many Christians need to be in a family for it to be called a Christian family? One.
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:33 pm

Quote:
http://church-of-christ.org/ This is NOT the United Church of Christ
Thank you so very much. I am going to go read this now....
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:36 pm
Banned

Quote:
Thank you so very much. I am going to go read this now....
You are welcome; I got to go, but I will check back later and see if I can find any additional information either later today or tomorrow, so check back.
Old Mar 1, '09, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Jesus did say He came to divide; He used the example of families; you mother against daughter etc. But that is getting off base. It does matter what they believe; it must be Christ centered. I hope you and your husband and any children you have find the best place to worship God.

As I said before; you won't know till you get there because they are all independent; I'm always weary of any church that makes an exclusive claim that they are the "true" church. Jesus never spoke that way because the true church was always made of those who believe in Him. He is another thought, how many Christians need to be in a family for it to be called a Christian family? One.

Thank you so very much.....Your help has been much appreciated.
Old Mar 1, '09, 6:54 pm

Hi Lura, I live in Lake Charles, not too far from big BR.
Lura, you sound like some of the Catholics I know. By that I mean if you really knew the history and teachings of the Catholic Church you would not be thinking of going to a church outside of the Catholic faith. You should do a little research before you do such a thing Lura. Shopping for another church to go to because there is no Catholic Church around is not good. You can ask a priest on CA fourm about your problem, let him advise you. Unlike looking for the best store to shop in, choosing a church is a very serious thing. I advise you to stay home and pray rather than abandon the Catholic Church. God Bless.
Old Mar 1, '09, 7:58 pm

Hi, I was raised church of Christ but will be received into the Catholic Church on Easter. And there is a huge difference between the two. The church of Christ believes there are the one true church, founded AD 33 and that you must be a part of there church to make it to Heaven. They do take communion every Sunday but do not believe in the real presence, there is no music in church because they say it isn't in the New Testament bible therefore it shouldn't be in the church. I could go on and on about the differences. I would recommend that you try to locate a Catholic church - even if it's somewhat of a drive. My parents still don't know that I'm attending the Catholic Church - it's that bad!!
If you would like to ask me any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.
Tracie
Old Mar 2, '09, 4:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie001 View Post
Hi, I was raised church of Christ but will be received into the Catholic Church on Easter. And there is a huge difference between the two. The church of Christ believes there are the one true church, founded AD 33 and that you must be a part of there church to make it to Heaven. They do take communion every Sunday but do not believe in the real presence, there is no music in church because they say it isn't in the New Testament bible therefore it shouldn't be in the church. I could go on and on about the differences. I would recommend that you try to locate a Catholic church - even if it's somewhat of a drive. My parents still don't know that I'm attending the Catholic Church - it's that bad!!
If you would like to ask me any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.
Tracie
I have a friend at work that belongs to the Church of Christ; it sounds very much like you described; although when they teach you must belong to their church; they do mean the church of Jesus Christ as founded on the day of Pentecost, not their denomination for they are nondenominational. This is actually very Biblical. The exclusive church membership phenomena is not a biblical model. They are incorrect on two of their beliefs; 1) it is wrong to have stringed instruments or any, but this is minor and 2) they believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation, which is a works issue, but I believe most Catholics feel the same about this issue.

They are solid in Biblical theology, which is very important. Again, since they are independent I can't stress enough that you really won't know who the builder of the church is until you go.

I also encourage you not to go against your spouses wishes; it would be better to submit and then to work with him if it is not working out; otherwise you will find yourself in sin against God and your spouse and also perhaps cause marital issues that may be difficult to resolve.
Old Mar 2, '09, 6:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
It upset me real bad when another will talk about another's belief and how it is not Biblical. That truly upsets me. I then start feeling that my whole family is doomed to Hell because we are Catholics and not whatever they are.
STOP going to this Church!!!! It is starting to do you spiritual harm.

Go to a Catholic Church in the other towns mentioned in an above post.

Quote:
I feel that we all should not be divided the way we are. I feel in my heart that God our Father nor Jesus Christ wanted the division either....
You are correct. That is why the Catholic Church prays that our separated brethern will return to the Fullness of Truth and be reunited with the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Move away from this place if it is that spiritually depressing.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Mar 2, '09, 8:29 am

I think most Church of Christ Churches think that wine is a sin.. apparently Jesus turned the water into a form of grape juice? Not kidding - that's what I was told.

I would keep driving until I found a Catholic Church before I'd go somewhere else. Some of our brethern in Africa walk for hours to receive Jesus in the Eucharist, and then they walk for hours to get back home. We could all learn alot from them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions