Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 3, '09, 5:36 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Confirmation Procedures

I am 18 years old, and I have yet to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. I was wondering if there was an age requirement. I am also wondering about the whole process of going through preparation for Confirmation, and the process.
Old Mar 3, '09, 5:49 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default Re: Confirmation Procedures

No age requirement at all. But you do need instruction. I hope you already made your First Eucharist and Reconciliation as well. the first thing to do is contact your local parish to inquire when the classes begin and what information do they need from you. More than likely you will need to acquire a recent copy of your baptismal certificate for your registration of class.

The age of confirmation is settled by the bishop of the diocese. In some Latino countries, infants receive confirmation at their baptism. In other dioceses, it is done in the elementary school usually Jr.High grades. Still others confirm children at the high school age....and adults may be required to attend a full RCIA program or just adult confirmation preparation classes.

God's blessings on you as you complete your sacraments of initiation. But as the sacrament says...this is not graduation from the church, rather full initiation into the church. And know you have even greater responsibility to spread the message of Christ to others by your actions and deeds.
Old Mar 3, '09, 6:16 pm
Forum Elder

Send a message via AIM to LRThunder

If you're 18, and have already been baptized as an infant, and have received first communion, then your parish might want you to enroll in RCIA. At my parish, the RCIA consists of three groups: the unbaptized, the baptized coming in from another faith, and baptized Catholics seeking first communion and confirmation.

http://lrthunder.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 3, '09, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes13 View Post
I am 18 years old, and I have yet to be Confirmed in the Catholic Church. I was wondering if there was an age requirement. I am also wondering about the whole process of going through preparation for Confirmation, and the process.
Lourdes13:
Would you tell us a little more about your situation, please so that we can better help you? Did you ever receive first confession / first Communion? It sounds like you were baptized Catholic because you didn't ask about that, but is that indeed the case? Have you been a practicing Catholic your whole life, but just never "got around" to being confirmed? or were you away from the Church for a while? Regardless of how you answer those, you'll be able to get confirmed, but the process of HOW that happens (which is after all what you're asking) will very much depend on your answers to the above.

At age 18, you're certainly old enough to be confirmed, and one is never too old.

Hoping we can help...
Old Mar 4, '09, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
Lourdes13:
Would you tell us a little more about your situation, please so that we can better help you? Did you ever receive first confession / first Communion? It sounds like you were baptized Catholic because you didn't ask about that, but is that indeed the case? Have you been a practicing Catholic your whole life, but just never "got around" to being confirmed? or were you away from the Church for a while? Regardless of how you answer those, you'll be able to get confirmed, but the process of HOW that happens (which is after all what you're asking) will very much depend on your answers to the above.

At age 18, you're certainly old enough to be confirmed, and one is never too old.

Hoping we can help...

I was baptized when I was a little over two years old, and I have been away from the Church for a period of about five years. Because of my absence(very personal reasons I will not explain), I missed out on being confirmed by the church that I attended from the time I was baptized to when I was 13.
I was afraid that my being 18 would be too old. Thank you for comforting my fear.
Old Mar 4, '09, 6:02 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
I was baptized when I was a little over two years old, and I have been away from the Church for a period of about five years. Because of my absence(very personal reasons I will not explain), I missed out on being confirmed by the church that I attended from the time I was baptized to when I was 13.
I was afraid that my being 18 would be too old. Thank you for comforting my fear.
If you were baptized in the Catholic Church at age 13 you probably did receive Confirmation at that time along with First Communion. Anyone over the age of reason is to be fully initiated at the same time. Did you get baptized at the Easter Vigil?
Old Mar 4, '09, 6:06 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Simply mention your situation to your parish priest. He will let you know what the custom of your local parish is, in situations like yours. You are not the first person to rediscover his lost childhood faith at a later age, nor will you be the last. Welcome back!

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Mar 4, '09, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannm View Post
If you were baptized in the Catholic Church at age 13 you probably did receive Confirmation at that time along with First Communion. Anyone over the age of reason is to be fully initiated at the same time. Did you get baptized at the Easter Vigil?
I was baptized at 2. I left the Church at 13.
I received the First Communion at 8, and Confession at 9. I left the Church before I was able to be confirmed.
Old Mar 4, '09, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the background.

As far as Confirmation goes (and I'll stick to that in this post), you have two options.

1. You can be confirmed with the next "class" at your parish. Depending on how frequently the bishop does Confirmation at that particular parish, you might be able to simply join in with that group. If another nearby parish has a Confirmation scheduled, it's possible to do the same with them (if both pastors agree).

2. You have the option of participating with the next RCIA group (it's a little late for 2009, but not impossible). You would not be a catechumen or a candidate because you're already Catholic, but I'm speaking of joining with them and being confirmed when they are (this would require the bishop's permission, and I only mention it because it might be a possibility).

First thing to do is to speak with your pastor. He can give you guidance on what to do next, and what options might be open to you.

Good luck and God's blessings on your arrival home and your future Confirmation.
Old Mar 5, '09, 2:57 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:

2. You have the option of participating with the next RCIA group (it's a little late for 2009, but not impossible). You would not be a catechumen or a candidate because you're already Catholic, but I'm speaking of joining with them and being confirmed when they are (this would require the bishop's permission, and I only mention it because it might be a possibility).

First thing to do is to speak with your pastor. He can give you guidance on what to do next, and what options might be open to you.

Good luck and God's blessings on your arrival home and your future Confirmation.
Our parish has a special group just for this situation, in fact we are beginning this Sunday. They meet weekly for Confirmation on Pentecost. We follow a program set up by the diocese. All our priests have the faculty to Confim Catholics on the feast of Pentecost without permission.
Old Mar 5, '09, 3:54 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

As far as Confirmation goes (and I'll stick to that in this post), you have two options.

1. You can be confirmed with the next "class" at your parish. Depending on how frequently the bishop does Confirmation at that particular parish, you might be able to simply join in with that group. If another nearby parish has a Confirmation scheduled, it's possible to do the same with them (if both pastors agree).

I read in a bulletin from one of the churches around here that starting after Easter if you had First Communion and never confirmed there is going to be a two year program now that the diocese is requiring. It is going to take Catholics coming back longer than people who were never Catholic in the first place.

Old Mar 5, '09, 5:23 am
Banned

Religion: Other

There is no upper age limit for Confirmation.

I just heard on EWTN about a 70 year old woman who was confirmed.
Old Mar 9, '09, 4:14 pm

Thank you very much, all of you.
Do any of you know any churches in the Richardson, Texas area that would be starting Confirmation classes in the fall?
Old Mar 9, '09, 5:53 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Do any of you know any churches in the Richardson, Texas area that would be starting Confirmation classes in the fall?
If they have you go through RCIA, pretty much every church will start classes in the fall. It depends on if they do that or if they have a separate program for baptized Catholics. You'll have to call them and ask.

Old Mar 9, '09, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

Quote:
Call your local parish and ask. If you were in my parish, I'd be telling you that we have an adult confirmation class starting later in the Spring, so you'd be just in time for that.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments