Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 5, '09, 8:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Priest own property?

Can a priest own property? A house? What if his family left him some land or house or cottage on a lake?
I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him With Him and In Him
Old Mar 5, '09, 10:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Priest own property?

Yes they can, provided they have not taken a vow of poverty. But I think it wise to remember that our priests must live their entire lives in an imitation of Christ. That, by its nature entails poverty. And so I would think and expect all priests would strive to at the very least live in the spirit of poverty. I don't know how luxurious this land or lake house is, but in any case, I think overt luxury ought to be avoided by our holy priests. Their treasure lies elsewhere. Remember:

Quote:
21 For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also. [...] 24 No man can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one, and love the other: or he will sustain the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. 25 Therefore I say to you, be not solicitous for your life, what you shall eat, nor for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than the meat: and the body more than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the air, for they neither sow, nor do they reap, nor gather into barns: and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not you of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by taking thought, can add to his stature by one cubit? 28 And for raiment why are you solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labour not, neither do they spin. 29 But I say to you, that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. 30 And if the grass of the field, which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?

Visit me online as God brings Joy to my Youth! Juventutem Orange County
Old Mar 6, '09, 3:36 am

Religion: catholic

My pastor owns the house his parents left him and he spends his time there on his days off and plans to retire there. I know several priests who own vacation homes and one who even own rental property and gets an income from that. These are diocesan priests not vowed religious priests. There are also priests I know who own boats, time shares, go on fantastic vacations, and other extravagant things. I don't have a problem with that as long as they are basically living within their means and are not using parish contributions to buy these things.
Old Mar 6, '09, 3:41 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Through Him View Post
Can a priest own property? A house? What if his family left him some land or house or cottage on a lake?
Yes, unless he belongs to a Congregation or Order where he has taken a vow of poverty. I believe in that case the property left to him would become the Congregation/Order's property.

The pastor who married us and baptized our first two children built himself a house on the waterfront and didn't stay in the rectory after office hours, telling the parish that he was entitled to his privacy and time off just like everyone else.
Old Mar 6, '09, 7:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannm View Post
My pastor owns the house his parents left him and he spends his time there on his days off and plans to retire there. I know several priests who own vacation homes and one who even own rental property and gets an income from that. These are diocesan priests not vowed religious priests. There are also priests I know who own boats, time shares, go on fantastic vacations, and other extravagant things. I don't have a problem with that as long as they are basically living within their means and are not using parish contributions to buy these things.
Your post reminded me of that Franciscan-Jesuit joke. A Franciscan priest a few weeks ago, shared it with the congregation during his homily. In case some of you haven't heard it yet:

A man walked up to a Franciscan and Jesuit and asked, "How many novenas must you say to get a Mercedes Benz?"

The Franciscan asked, "What's a Mercedes Benz?"

The Jesuit asked, "What's a novena?"

Ah, it always makes me chuckle

"A person is a person, no matter how small." Dr. Seuss
Old Mar 6, '09, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrape View Post
Your post reminded me of that Franciscan-Jesuit joke. A Franciscan priest a few weeks ago, shared it with the congregation during his homily. In case some of you haven't heard it yet:

A man walked up to a Franciscan and Jesuit and asked, "How many novenas must you say to get a Mercedes Benz?"

Old Mar 6, '09, 9:05 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:

OOOOHHHH!! That is such a good one....

Paul

Mary, Mediatrix Of All Graces, Pray For Us
How many future priests were aborted?!?
"Be Not Afraid"

HLS Club Member
Old Mar 6, '09, 7:09 pm

There is no problem with a priest (who is not vowed to poverty) owning property. But when it starts to get to owning fancy things or taking extravagant trips, there is a problem. It's not just that priests ought in principle to imitate Jesus' poverty. It's that they are canonically bound to live simply. Now, if a priest is stocking up money for his retirement that doesn't mean we can look at his bottom line and say he is worth altogether too much, but if his lifestyle couldn't reasonably be described as simple (not Amish plain, just reasonably frugal and simple) then he's living beyond what he is supposed to.
Old Mar 7, '09, 9:36 am

Than you for all your replies. One priest does own a cottage and another owns nothing. I think that he has taken a vow of poverty. I think the ones in our cluster own their own vehicles. Or they lease. I always thought that a priest had to as an imperative to be a priest to take a vow of poverty. My misconception. There are a group of priests, four or five I think that are retired that live in Madison but they still fill in. They live in a big house together sharing their duties, but I don't know who owns the house. It doesn't really matter. I believe they also live there or decided to retire there to pray for that poor city that is becoming a capital for abortion.
I can do all things in Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Through Him With Him and In Him
Old Mar 7, '09, 11:31 am
Forum Elder

A couple of years ago the priests in this diocese were given a small raise and required to buy their own cars, as opposed to having the parish own them. It was because of a liability issue.
Old Mar 7, '09, 7:19 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kelley View Post
A couple of years ago the priests in this diocese were given a small raise and required to buy their own cars, as opposed to having the parish own them. It was because of a liability issue.
In our diocese the secular priests have their own cars and as part of their salary are paid a car allowance. The religious priests use cars belonging to the diocese and the parishes are responsible for the gas, maintenance, registration and insurance.
Old Mar 7, '09, 9:45 pm

Religion: Catholic!

Quote:

I tried to tell that joke to my fiance (who's gone to Jesuit schools his whole life) and his response was, "Cute. Seriously, though, what's a novena?" You can take the boy out of the Jesuit schools but you can't take the Jesuit schools out of the boy...

Tiber swim team, class of 2009!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism