Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 7, '09, 3:48 pm

Religion: Catholic
Exclamation Do we REALLY Need To Go To Confession To Be Forgiven??

I was just wondering, if you have commited a mortal sin, do you need to go to confession to be forgiven or is it enough to be truely sorry and pray for forgivness at home or church?

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
Old Mar 7, '09, 4:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to Apryl Send a message via AIM to Apryl Send a message via Yahoo to Apryl Send a message via Skype™ to Apryl
Default Re: Do we REALLY Need To Go To Confession To Be Forgiven??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushy3 View Post
I was just wondering, if you have commited a mortal sin, do you need to go to confession to be forgiven or is it enough to be truely sorry and pray for forgivness at home or church?
You ever heard of a kid going into a store, and taking something that didn't belong to them?

Then, they get home, and their mother finds out and takes them back to the store.

Now, to make it 'right', the parent could just have them put the stolen item back on the shelf. I mean, really, that would fix things, right?

But the usual reaction is to go to the shopkeeper, and have the child look him in the eye, acknowledge what was done, and then apologize.

That physical act means a lot.

As for our apologies to God: in the Genesis story, God knows everything, but He asked Adam and Eve what they had done. He didn't need to. But they needed to acknowledge what they had done.

Just a few passages later, Cain killed Abel. Again, God asked him what happened. God KNOWS everything, but that act was necessary as part of the forgiveness.

Getting back to a more contemporary action: Imagine your kid comes home from school, goes into his room, and shuts the door. You go to ask what happened. 'I did something bad at school and need to be punished'.

Cute.... but are they REALLY sorry if they don't even SAY what they did? "I'm sorry, but I won't tell you for what"

We are told to pray to God for what we want. "He knows what you need before you do", I often hear. But why then, do we need to pray?

It is part of our relationship with God. We need to pray to Him, and sometimes, that prayer is for forgiveness. We have the priest there to represent God for us. He has hte authority to forgive our sins. Not just because, but because that was passed down through succession since Christ gave His disciples that authority

Apryl

"The Church is a training ground for Saints and a hospital for sinners. There is room -- and there is hope -- in this Church for a sinner like me." – Anonymous
Old Mar 7, '09, 4:53 pm

You cannot be forgiven of a mortal sin outside the sacrament of Reconciliation without the firm intent to go to Confession as soon as possible and, on top of that, perfect contrition for the sin or sins committed.
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:00 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: CATHOLICUS

Nope its not enough.
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:15 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic

Quote:

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
If you want it recorded on paper, then yes.

But, if you just want to confess in the comforts of your home, that's acceptable. I look at it this way: You are only forgiven when you finally learn from your mistake and ultimately forgive yourself.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade and Blood View Post

But, if you just want to confess in the comforts of your home, that's acceptable. I look at it this way: You are only forgiven when you finally learn from your mistake and ultimately forgive yourself.

Keep your trap shut when you don't know what you're talking about. Thank you.

Quote:

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
God gave us sacramental reconcilation so we could be forgiven our sins. It would be foolish to throw away the great gift of His Mercy!
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:26 pm

Quote:

Only forgiven when you forgive yourself?

I don't know what faith you belong to, but forgiving yourself really doesn't cut it in Catholicism or in Christianity either for that matter.

Now if you worship yourself, then maybe you have a point
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:26 pm
Banned

Religion: Agnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucharisted View Post
Keep your trap shut when you don't know what you're talking about. Thank you.

God gave us sacramental reconcilation so we could be forgiven our sins. It would be foolish to throw away the great gift of His Mercy!
Oh, stop it; of course I know what I'm talking about, or else I wouldn't have said anything. You know that.

Ironically Yours.
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:33 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

You must go to confession to be forgiven of a mortal sin. And confession is thoroughly Biblical so don't let the Protestants convince you otherwise.

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Mar 7, '09, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Oh, stop it; of course I know what I'm talking about, or else I wouldn't have said anything. You know that.

Ironically Yours.
That's a funny statement coming from an ex-Catholic
Old Mar 7, '09, 6:35 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
yes you do need to go to confession for the forgiveness of mortal sins and its also recommended for venial ones too

aedan 2002
sorcha 2004
lochlann 2005
caitlin 2007
Old Mar 7, '09, 6:52 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Brushy, if you are a Catholic, and commit mortal sin, you need to go to confession. I know you were probably really young (7) when you had your first confession, and a lot of the teaching probably 'went over your head'. People in the last 4 decades have underutilized confession, have been poorly catechized, and in many cases have been outright lied to. But since you're asking (Good for you! ), you are being given God's grace to get a good, definitive answer. So here is from the Catechism:

1484 "Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession."95 There are profound reasons for this. Christ is at work in each of the sacraments. He personally addresses every sinner: "My son, your sins are forgiven."96 He is the physician tending each one of the sick who need him to cure them.97 He raises them up and reintegrates them into fraternal communion. Personal confession is thus the form most expressive of reconciliation with God and with the Church.
IN BRIEF
1485 "On the evening of that day, the first day of the week," Jesus showed himself to his apostles. "He breathed on them, and said to them: 'Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained"' (Jn 20:19, 22-23).
1486 The forgiveness of sins committed after Baptism is conferred by a particular sacrament called the sacrament of conversion, confession, penance, or reconciliation.
1487 The sinner wounds God's honor and love, his own human dignity as a man called to be a son of God, and the spiritual well-being of the Church, of which each Christian ought to be a living stone.
1488 To the eyes of faith no evil is graver than sin and nothing has worse consequences for sinners themselves, for the Church, and for the whole world.
1489 To return to communion with God after having lost it through sin is a process born of the grace of God who is rich in mercy and solicitous for the salvation of men. One must ask for this precious gift for oneself and for others.
1490 The movement of return to God, called conversion and repentance, entails sorrow for and abhorrence of sins committed, and the firm purpose of sinning no more in the future. Conversion touches the past and the future and is nourished by hope in God's mercy.
1491 The sacrament of Penance is a whole consisting in three actions of the penitent and the priest's absolution. The penitent's acts are repentance, confession or disclosure of sins to the priest, and the intention to make reparation and do works of reparation.
1492 Repentance (also called contrition) must be inspired by motives that arise from faith. If repentance arises from love of charity for God, it is called "perfect" contrition; if it is founded on other motives, it is called "imperfect."
1493 One who desires to obtain reconciliation with God and with the Church, must confess to a priest all the unconfessed grave sins he remembers after having carefully examined his conscience. The confession of venial faults, without being necessary in itself, is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.
1494 The confessor proposes the performance of certain acts of "satisfaction" or "penance" to be performed by the penitent in order to repair the harm caused by sin and to re-establish habits befitting a disciple of Christ.
1495 Only priests who have received the faculty of absolving from the authority of the Church can forgive sins in the name of Christ.
1496 The spiritual effects of the sacrament of Penance are:
- reconciliation with God by which the penitent recovers grace;
- reconciliation with the Church;
- remission of the eternal punishment incurred by mortal sins;
- remission, at least in part, of temporal punishments resulting from sin;
- peace and serenity of conscience, and spiritual consolation;
- an increase of spiritual strength for the Christian battle.

1497 Individual and integral confession of grave sins followed by absolution remains the only ordinary means of reconciliation with God and with the Church.
1498 Through indulgences the faithful can obtain the remission of temporal punishment resulting from sin for themselves and also for the souls in Purgatory.
**************************************** **************************************** ***
<<<<Please pay particular attention to the parts underlined in the Catechism above.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Mar 7, '09, 6:58 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Lest anyone be misled, nothing is recorded on paper. Even when teaching First Reconciliation classes, I am not allowed to record attendance at the ceremony itself, at the end, or give out certificates, or anything like that. And when you go to Confession later on, after your First Confession, nobody would even think about recording the event on paper or in any other way.

Quote:
I think you watch too much television.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Mar 7, '09, 6:58 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
IF you are a Catholic as long as Confession is available to you and it is possible for you to get there, you are required to confess in the Sacrament your mortal sins at least once a year.
Old Mar 7, '09, 6:59 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:

Thanks for reading,

Brushy
Just go, even if you don't think you "need" to. The graces of the Sacrament of Reconciliation are wonderful, and you still get them even if you only confess venial sins.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments