Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 16, '09, 4:54 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via MSN to Appleby
Default Re: Improving EWTN programming

So the Catholic church would be just ducky if only it was not so Catholic?

Maybe you would prefer to be a Baptist. Its a lot easier and you can quit any time and go into politics. The Baptists I met in Texas believed that the more $$$ you have, the more God loves you. (He makes you rich if He loves you, just as you mentioned above.) One of my bosses there was a tax attorney. I never did remind him that Jesus referred to *Tax collectors and OTHER disreputable people.*

American Boots on the Moon - 1969
Old Mar 16, '09, 5:01 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

last fall we moved to a new community and, unfortunately. they do not offer EWTN. i really miss it. i doubt if i am able to pick up any radio signals that would carry any catholic programming either so i really feel deprived. i didn't realize how much EWTN helped me in my catholic life, especially since i am a recent convert.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Mar 16, '09, 8:33 pm

Could we get back on-topic?

I wish EWTN had more programs geared towards young adults. Some type of faith/sports show would be a great addition to EWTN's lineup. Talking to athletes about their Catholic faith, or even more biographies of contemporary young Catholics. That'd be fun.
Old Mar 16, '09, 8:46 pm

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticsfan1983 View Post
Could we get back on-topic?

I wish EWTN had more programs geared towards young adults. Some type of faith/sports show would be a great addition to EWTN's lineup. Talking to athletes about their Catholic faith, or even more biographies of contemporary young Catholics. That'd be fun.
I suppose you don't know about the show "Crossing the Goal" or do you mean other than that? As for other young Catholics, yes, I agree.

"...I will seduce her and lead her into the desert and speak to her heart" Hos 2:16
Old Mar 17, '09, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerticus View Post
I suppose you don't know about the show "Crossing the Goal" or do you mean other than that? As for other young Catholics, yes, I agree.
Will check that out. But I'd like to see another show that profiles Catholic athletes who are strong with their faith.
Old Mar 17, '09, 4:22 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Well, I love EWTN. Yes, it can be repetitious at times - but what TV network isn't these days. And I know I won't blush at the content.

I'd like to see more programs showing the growth of heresys or of the history in different places of Catholicism. Not that I dislike the lectures (yes, I'm the weird type that likes that sort of thing) but a semi-fictional portrayal of these things. These are the sorts of things that young (or older) Catholic producers/directors/actors could really show themselves well in, I think.

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Mar 17, '09, 7:15 pm

I love EWTN and would like to see more spiritual movies. There was one movie, "Peter and Paul" with Anthony Hopkins and Robert Foxworth that I saw on another channel and thought it would be great on EWTN. They've shown the films about St. Bernadette (with Sydney Penny, the one they show at Lourdes, not the Hollywood one). They had a wonderful film on St. Maria Goretti. I also saw an ancient film they showed about St. Therese of Liseiux. Most of the films about saints were on All Saints Day (appropriately). I find them so inspiring and would like to see more throughout the year. They also had a couple of great films on Pope John Paul II. I, for one, love seeing the faces of the nuns and reciting the rosary with them now and then as a refreshing change from my solitary recititation. I don't want to get into responding to the "baiting" person, because I detect a faint scent of sulpher in those comments.
Anyway, back on topic, I love to watch their live coverage of Pope Benedict XIV's Vatican Masses and his travels. The Lourdes visit was fabulously rewarding. I went nuts and stayed up in the wee small hours so I could catch the broadcasts live and my reward was I felt like I was there with all those pilgrims! It's wonderful that we can tune in to Papal Masses and receive Papal blessings through the media of television (and radio, but t.v. is better because you can SEE all the beauty and pageantry.) They also covered the Mass for St. Therese's parents and a canonization mass. The programs aren't always so sensational, because sensational events are obviously not everyday occurrences. The great thing is we can see these events either at the time they happen or close to the time they happen.
Other EWTN programs offer us insights and teach us, direct us to sources of learning and inspriation, guide us. And how's about those Fulton J. Sheen re-broadcasts from half a century ago? Are we lucky or what?

Last edited by RosalieM; Mar 17, '09 at 7:17 pm. Reason: word change
Old Mar 17, '09, 7:53 pm

Religion: Protestant

I don't have cable so I enjoy EWTN TV whenever I visit a place with cable.
I mostly listen to EWTN on the radio every chance I get.
I enjoy Mother Angelica. She's funny and seems like someone I wish I could have sitting in my living room or kitchen and have a chat with.
I do get bored with the abortion issue. I know it's important and we need to get the word out but sometimes it seems like that's all we hear about for hours.
I thank God for EWTN and most of the programing.
I enjoying hearing about Catholic history and the saints.
And of course good preaching from Father Corapi and Bishop Fulton Sheen.
Old Mar 17, '09, 8:13 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic convert!

[quote=Snerticus;4947952]It goes to show you how people can be. I always thought Fr. Groeschel was boring. But obviously that was becuase I never actually listened to him.

I loved the show last night. I consider myself contemplative by nature and his show was enlightening and I wish it was on longer. I love listening to Fr. Groeschel now.

I too love listening to Fr. Groeschel! Such wisdom and intellect. Also Fr. Coropi! Such strength in his messages! AND I'm not even Catholic!!!! (at least yet?)
mlz
Old Mar 17, '09, 10:21 pm

I love EWTN, a lot of the programming is the best you could hope for. I do however find myself flipping through the channels a good deal of the time. It really shouldn't be like that though. The richness of our faith should have programming that all true Catholics and most other Christians are riveted to 24-7.
Old Mar 17, '09, 11:48 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dye View Post
I love EWTN, a lot of the programming is the best you could hope for. I do however find myself flipping through the channels a good deal of the time. It really shouldn't be like that though. The richness of our faith should have programming that all true Catholics and most other Christians are riveted to 24-7.

Are you aware that we haven't arrived in paradise yet? (Nor are we ready for it, me thinks.)

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Mar 18, '09, 8:10 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

Others have mentioned that they would like to see more movies and documentaries on EWTN about saints and - - - Whatever.

I also heard on AVE Maria Radio the other week, a program about the absolutely horrible quality of product coming from american filmakers.

I wonder if it would be possible for EWTN to develop a "Film Festival" to promote all sorts of wholesome films by young film makers.
I personally have no idea how such things work, but it seems like a good way to:
1) Promote Christian Morality in Film
2) Encourage young film makers who would rather NOT have to be "beholdin" to Hollywood
3) Draw the attention of other film makers and producers to a more "moral" market

Naturally it would take considerable promotion and time to build it up, but considering
EWTN's track record in "defying the odds", it just seems like it would work.
I would imagine that with some promotion on EWTN along with flyers/letters sent to various univerities laying out the parameters, at least a credible number of films would be submitted. These could be reviewed and aired allowing for voting by the public through the website and/or by phone.
Honestly, if it seems to others like this would be do-able we should pitch it to EWTN.

Anyone else know how "film festivals" work and what the problems are with such a venture?

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 18, '09, 8:26 am

Vespers in Africa with Pope Benedict XVI will be broadcast live in ten minutes on EWTN and again rebroadcast later in the day.
Old Mar 18, '09, 8:36 am

There has been mention of the kids' programming not being the greatest. Honestly, these shows look boring to me, but my kids LOVE them! I think they enjoy the slowed-down pace of these shows compared to the comparitively hyper and loud shows they would normally see on tv. Personally, I can't stand the puppets, but if my kids like it and it's teaching a good message -- well then, great!

As for myself, I don't miss an episode of "The Journey Home" or Father Corapi. Although after reading about some of the other shows you guys enjoy on EWTN, it looks like our DVR might be very busy soon!
Old Mar 18, '09, 8:37 am

I have neither cable nor satellite TV, so I can't get EWTN. I have a laptop computer, but I tried to get EWTN through the wireless system at the library, but I never had any success in getting it that way, either.

The only way I can watch it is when I go on vacation, or visit someone's house that has cable or satellite.

With regards to improving programming, I wish that there was one for adult single Catholics who are 35 and up. Not a 'meet market' type, but just something to give us 'never-weds' a bit of encouragement. Everything seems to be geared to the young, the married, and priesthood/religious life!

If I had EWTN at home, I wouldn't watch it all the time-depends on what's on-but it would be nice to watch, let's say, Papal events that don't have the MSM's 'spin' on them.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)