Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 19, '09, 3:50 pm
Trial Membership

Question Need help with Finding a Patron Saint

I am Roman Catholic and I am in the process of confirmation and I have searched many sites looking for the Patron Saint of Historians with no results I have my A.A. in History and working on my B.A.. If anyone can help me with this I would be greatly appreciated. I also am considering a Patron Saint of Travelers if anyone has any suggestions I would be great full. Thanks and God Bless

Also to those who are interested, I am on a quest to fulfill a dream since I was a child. Everyone has a dream and when they grow older they fulfill that dream or just forget all about it I haven't forgotten my dream nor will I. I am trying to reach for the stars and don't depend to fall. I can't do this alone, I need help from people who ever had a dream and never seen it come true. My dream is to travel and see the world, kind of like a Sabbatical for me I want to see the world including the Vatican and the holy land. My website if you choose to take a look is:

http://planetearthinc.giving.officel...m/default.aspx

Like I said it has been a dream since childhood and I will do anything and won't give up till I fulfill my Dream. Thank You
Old Mar 19, '09, 4:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Need help with Finding a Patron Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncherny View Post
I am Roman Catholic and I am in the process of confirmation and I have searched many sites looking for the Patron Saint of Historians....
I don't know who the "official" patron saint of historians is, but you might wish to consider the Venerable Bede, one of the great early Church historians. (but as a history student yourself, I'll bet you already knew that!) Funny thing, I have never heard him referred to as St. Bede, but as a Doctor of the Church, I am sure he would qualify as a Confirmation patron saint.
Old Mar 19, '09, 4:56 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard View Post
I don't know who the "official" patron saint of historians is, but you might wish to consider the Venerable Bede, one of the great early Church historians. (but as a history student yourself, I'll bet you already knew that!) Funny thing, I have never heard him referred to as St. Bede, but as a Doctor of the Church, I am sure he would qualify as a Confirmation patron saint.
Although he's called "The Venerable", he's a full saint. Just like Mary is sometimes called "Blessed Mother"

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on Us

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on us
Old Mar 19, '09, 5:36 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

**Funny thing, I have never heard him referred to as St. Bede, but as a Doctor of the Church, I am sure he would qualify as a Confirmation patron saint.**

He had the sobriquet "Venerable" during his lifetime because of the great respect in which his writings were held.

St. Luke, who wrote the history of the Apostolic Church in Acts would also be a good one.

St. Nicholas is venerated as the patron saint of travellers in the Byzantine Churches.
Old Mar 20, '09, 7:05 am
Trial Membership

Smile Re: Need help with Finding a Patron Saint

Thank you to all who responded. Through all my research and through other Catholic Forums I have came to the conclusion that there isn't just one Patron Saint of Historian. Leopard I did know about The Venerable Saint Bede, his patronage is of English writer's and Historian's. He is on my list of possible Saints and at the top. I was wondering if their was just one Patron Saint of Historians, But Saint Bede is more then likely going to be my choose for my Confirmation. I have other Saints, Saint Christopher his Patronage is: bachelors, transportation (drivers, sailors, etc.), travelling (especially for long journeys), storms, Brunswick, Saint Christopher's Island (Saint Kitts), Island Rab, epilepsy, gardeners, holy death, toothache and Saint Eurosia this Saint because since a child I have been scared of thunderstorms and lightning. Her Patronage is: those who are possessed by demons[1]; invoked against storms, hailstorms, lightning; invoked for the protection and fertility of crops.

Cluny Saint Luke and Saint Nicholas wouldn't be good for me. But thanks for the suggestion. Saint Luke's Patronage is: Artists, Physicians, Surgeons, and others, and Saint Nicholas patronage is: Children, sailors, fishermen, merchants, the falsely accused, prostitutes, repentant thieves, pharmacists, archers, pawnbrokers. I thank you for the suggestions but the Saints just don't fit my life. But thank you and God Bless.

More then likely The Venerable Saint Bede will be my Patron Saint he was canonized in 1899 recognized as Doctor of the Church, Rome by Pope Leo XIII. Myself being Roman Catholic I don't see why Saint Bede couldn't be my Patron Saint. As I said before thank you to all who responded with your help and God Bless.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism