Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '09, 4:32 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Jesus Giving Spiritual Direction

I am looking for specific instances in the NT where Jesus can be said to be giving spiritual direction to someone.

I'm defining spiritual direction as Spiritual direction is a term for a conversation, ordinarily between two persons, in which one person consults another, more spiritually experienced person about the ways in which God may be touching her or his life, directly or indirectly. Spiritual direction is the contemplative practice of helping another person or group to awaken to the mystery called God in all of life, and to respond to that discovery in a growing relationship of freedom and commitment.

If anyone knows of passages in the NT that present Jesus in a position of providing spiritual direction to someone or to a group, please share your passage and a short explanation why you think He is providing spiritual direction.

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 26, '09, 1:17 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus Giving Spiritual Direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvadney View Post
I am looking for specific instances in the NT where Jesus can be said to be giving spiritual direction to someone.

I'm defining spiritual direction as Spiritual direction is a term for a conversation, ordinarily between two persons, in which one person consults another, more spiritually experienced person about the ways in which God may be touching her or his life, directly or indirectly. Spiritual direction is the contemplative practice of helping another person or group to awaken to the mystery called God in all of life, and to respond to that discovery in a growing relationship of freedom and commitment.

If anyone knows of passages in the NT that present Jesus in a position of providing spiritual direction to someone or to a group, please share your passage and a short explanation why you think He is providing spiritual direction.

Thanks very much!
I think His response to "teach us to pray" qualifies - He directs them to God and to neighbor.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.
Old Mar 26, '09, 1:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Mark 10:17-25
17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, "Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" 18 And Jesus said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." 20 And he answered and said unto him, "Master, all these have I observed from my youth." 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, "One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me."

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Mar 27, '09, 5:14 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithound View Post
Mark 10:17-25
17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, "Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" 18 And Jesus said unto him, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother." 20 And he answered and said unto him, "Master, all these have I observed from my youth." 21 Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, "One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me."

22 And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
That was my first thought, as well. I'd also include the night-visit with Nicodemus (John 3 1-21)
"Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Heb. 12:14

Crossed the Tiber 1980 (no, I can't swim)
Old Mar 27, '09, 7:47 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Ooh, good one, NHInsider!

A forum for Discerning the Priesthood is now open!
Old Mar 27, '09, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvadney View Post

Thanks very much!
There are too many passages to quote individually in my opinion. Here are my three favorite examples that speak greatly to me.

The whole sermon on the mount qualifies (Matthew 5,6,7) beginning with the Beatitudes. This is precise instruction on Christian living from Christ to the multitude. It's one-on-many, but it speaks directly to us all.

The whole dialogue in the upper room (John 14 - 17), which is an intimate direct discussion between Christ and the Twelve.

The encounter with the woman at the well in John 4 is a direct one-on-one discussion with a Samaritan, of all people.

http://matt-lifeinthespirit.blogspot.com/

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture