Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '09, 7:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Are There Any Modern Day marian Apparitions?

Has anyone reported any visitations by the Blessed Virgin Mary in modern times? By modern I mean in the last year or so.

Is the last approved Marian apparition Fatima?
Old Mar 25, '09, 8:42 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Are There Any Modern Day marian Apparitions?

I don't know of any, sorry. But it is good to stick to approved apparitions: Lourdes and Fatima
Old Mar 26, '09, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catholic View Post
Has anyone reported any visitations by the Blessed Virgin Mary in modern times? By modern I mean in the last year or so.

Is the last approved Marian apparition Fatima?
The local bishop in Kibeho, Rawanda has approved the Mariam apparition of the Mother of the Word.

Mary appeared in Rawanda four years before the genocide and gave warning to seven young girls and one boy for the people there to repent to avert a great tragedy.
Old Mar 26, '09, 6:33 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

There were the Akita apparitions in Japan in the 1970s - so Fatima certainly wasn't the last approved one.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 26, '09, 6:40 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Dog-paddling the Tiber

According to the University of Dayton's list ( http://campus.udayton.edu/mary//resources/aprtable.html ) the latest approved apparition occurred in 1983 in San Nicolas (Argentina). As other posters have mentioned, Kibeho (Rwanda) is another of the more recent ones; occurred in 1981.

No Catholic Radio in your area? Listen online free: http://ihradio.org/wp-content/themes...io/listen.html

Ready for college? Check THIS out http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ganIqre0QE
Old Mar 27, '09, 9:50 am

In my opinion (and I know we're on the edge of forum rules), apparitions occur at some frequency on a very private level.

For example ...

I know a man who says he's had several apparitions and witnessed several things that he considers miraculous. He won't talk about them unless asked, but if asked he will discuss them in a very "matter of fact" manner. He doesn't seek any attention.

From the moment of the first ocurrence, he has been motivated to make rosaries. He's made more than 20,000 of them. He gives them away ... all of them. He never takes money for them. He's a retired auto worker and has a nice pension that allows him to purchase his materials.

I've sat and chatted with him. I won't get into any detail on his stories, but some of them are jaw dropping. He has a box full of cards and letters from people that describe, at minimum, remarkable things happening to people that he's given his rosaries to. He doesn't make a fuss about them, and he says he's lost a bunch of them through the years. He just goes on making his rosaries.

I've known him for a few months, and have only very recently gotten into any detailed conversations with him. I can tell you that this has directly resulted in my own increased devotion to the Blessed Virgin. I now say several rosaries per day when just a year ago I hadn't said one in 20+ years. I've also started getting rosaries from him and giving them away.

So ... I'm convinced that she does appear to certain individuals on a personal level. In the case of this individual, the fruits of the process, to me, seem very authentic.

http://matt-lifeinthespirit.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 10, '09, 8:13 am

The 1930s- Beauring and Banneux

1954- Weeping statue of Mary, Syracuse Italy

I'm not so sure about Akita, Rwanda, Nicaragua, or Argentina. I've heard different stories about their approval. Can anyone clarify?

Old Jun 10, '09, 12:38 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnGM View Post

I'm not so sure about Akita, Rwanda, Nicaragua, or Argentina. I've heard different stories about their approval. Can anyone clarify?
I found the following website quite informative:

http://www.circleofprayer.com/approved-apparitions.html
Old Jun 10, '09, 4:24 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

links from Catholicity to various sites that discuss Marian apparitions
http://www.catholicity.com/links/124/
Old Jun 10, '09, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnGM View Post

On July 2, 2001, the Holy See released the declaration of Bishop Augustin Misago of Gikongoro, on the Apparitions that took place in 1982-83 in Kibeho.

Archbishop Augustin Misago of Gikongoro, Rwanda, indicatied his "definitive judgment" that the reported apparitions in Kibeho are authentic.

Here are some excerpts:

“Two study commissions, one of doctors and one of theologians, were immediately set up by the local Bishop; they have been at work since April 1982... The advanced state of the study commissions' work now offers sufficient elements to allow competent ecclesiastical authorities to pronounce definitively on this question.

“As a result, Bishop Augustin Misago of Gikongoro, who represents this authority, has published his declaration concerning the definitive judgement on the Apparitions of Kibeho, Rwanda. This important event in the history of the Diocese of Gikongoro, as in the life of the Church in Rwanda, took place on 29 June 2001, on the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul, during a solemn Mass concelebrated in the cathedral of Gikongoro. All the Catholic bishops of Rwanda, with the Apostolic Nuncio of Kigali, were present...

“The Bishop declared: Yes, the Virgin Mary appeared at Kibeho on November 28, 1981, and in the months that followed. There are more reasons to believe in the Apparitions than to deny them... The Apparitions of Kibeho are now officially recognized... The name given to the Marian sanctuary at Kibeho is "Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows".

Old Jun 10, '09, 10:09 pm

Religion: Catholic,finally. Thx to God for His infinite patience !

In answer to The Catholic:
Oh Gosh, I guess !
So much misinformation, and outright untruths (even here !) on Medjugorje. So many 'experts'. Why we are so afraid of the possibility just escapes me. Anyway, I suggest that you ask someone who has actually BEEN THERE, about their experience. Before I went (rather, was dragged, by my dear wife), I was certain it was a farse. Now, I can only attest to the fruits as I have experienced in my own life.
Of course I stand ready to fully accept the Vatican's official judgement, which will not come until the apparitions end, as has always been the case with apparitions. Lourdes and Fatima were not officially approved until years after the actual events ceased. On top of that, if there was any serious contradiction to the Faith going on there, the Vatican would have slammed the lid on it long ago.
The truth is that:
-Priests and laity are allowed to go, as pilgrims.
-Priests are NOT allowed to lead official parish pilgrimmages there, because that would give the impression of official church approval, which has NOT occurred because it is an ongoing phenomena.
I am new here, but I heard that maybe we are not supposed to discuss non-approved apparitions here. I would be happy to discuss this offline if you like, via email. Just let me know.
+Peace,
Bob
Old Jun 11, '09, 11:50 am

Recently approved, happened in the late 17th and early 18th centuries

Our Lady of Laus (Gap, France)

Old Jun 11, '09, 1:32 pm

Not yet been fully approved but still in the process of investigation is Our Lady of America mainly in Fosteria, Ohio, and a few other places, in the mid to late 1950's, to Sr. Mary Ephrem, is being discussed on another thread. Sr. has just passed away in the year 2000.
Old Jun 11, '09, 10:26 pm

Smile Re: Are There Any Modern Day marian Apparitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMM View Post
The local bishop in Kibeho, Rawanda has approved the Mariam apparition of the Mother of the Word.

Mary appeared in Rawanda four years before the genocide and gave warning to seven young girls and one boy for the people there to repent to avert a great tragedy.
Yes, but even this example shows the difficulties in judging private revalations. Only 3 of the 7 seers have been recognized as legitimate.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/OLKIBEHO.HTM

God Bless!
Old Jun 15, '09, 1:51 am
Prayer Captain
Prayer Warrior

Please remember that unapproved private revelation is not to be promoted on CAF; I have removed several posts which were in violation of this rule.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Klara

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality