Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '09, 8:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default NFP tracking apps?

Okay, so if you saw my other posts I'm engaged (still trying to get the photos I promised!)

Since fiance and I are going to start our PhD and Masters programs respectively, in fall 2010, it will be a few years before we'll really be ready to have kids. So, we're going to do NFP. I have the training already--did it at the PPVI before I met him to try to get sense of my cycles, so I already have knowledge of the Billings and Hilger's methods. (they're so similar, the CrMS is just Billings with a medical spin, to put it simply).

We will probably take the CCL classes just to refresh ourselves anyway, and plus I googled around and one of my friends' parents is a Billings teacher, I think...(might be awkward.... )

Anyway, I'd hate to carry around big charting papers, and setting up an Excel would be complicated. I have a Macbook, a iPod Touch, and will get a Blackberry Curve tomorrow. So, does anybody know of a good app for any of these technologies (preferably the Touch or Curve) that will help me track with NFP? I'm getting a head start with this next cycle, because my cycles are so weird. Lately it likes doing it every three months...so I want a little more than a year to get some sense of the pattern of it again (I fell out of use with it), before my wedding.

Any helpful suggestions or stuff that's tried and true? (And I'd like to avoid websites, too, 'cause that can be awkard to look at on the go. Easier to use it on something small or discreet like the Touch or Curve---can even update it in the bathroom!)
Old Mar 25, '09, 9:11 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to ChristinaM
Default Re: NFP tracking apps?

Sorry I can't be of much help...I am an engineering grad student but I chart the old-fashioned way. I use Billings and I just print out charts for myself. I've actually seen Excel spreadsheets for charting that have already been set up for you online. Heck, tell me what you think you want/need in a chart and I'd be happy to make you one. I'm a grad student, Excel is my ONLY marketable skill.

I can't help with the smartphone applications since I don't have one. I know there is an Ipod app for fertility tracking, but I think it's geared more towards TTC.
Old Mar 26, '09, 5:29 am

Religion: catholic

I don't know what apps Apple has, but I love www.fertilityfriend.com. I use their basic, free service and it's been wonderful. Since it's web based, I can check it anywhere, anytime and my DH can access it from work as well. I have almost 10 years worth of cycles on there now! The only downside of the free service is that you can't free-text much in the way of notes or create your own categories-- for instance, there are only four choices for cervical mucus. If you pay ($30/year? I'm not sure), you have more flexibility with the software and you can also post your cycles to their message board, which may be helpful if you want to get others' opinions on wacky cycles, esp. if you're TTC.
Old Mar 26, '09, 12:01 pm

Religion: Currently Swimming the Tiber!

We got an already-set-up Excel sheet from our CCL instructors. If you're interested and you PM me, I can send it to you. Otherwise, I have no idea about the other stuff.

It's Official! Tiber Swim Team Class of 2009!
Proud to be a Doctor, Wife, and Mum, just like my patron saint.
Old Mar 26, '09, 2:33 pm

I must be too old-fashioned as my DH set me up on excel (even has it so that if I hit <shift> R, the cell turns red!) as I haven't quite gotten used to the mac version of office. But again, I don't know much about making it mobile. When we travel it's usually only a few days at a time and despite my health issues, my cycles are pretty stable, so I just keep up with it in my head or in the event of something extreme I will email myself and update once we are home.

Good luck & God bless.

Congrats on your engagement, btw.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life